So I just got a new laptop

Satellite radio isn't the answer because people can't request shit. An actual computer onsite doing the mixing IS the answer. The programs aren't quite good enough yet, but they will be. Luckily, an aging hipster like yourself won't have to worry about it. :D

A DJ does a lot more than you think and will never be replaced by software, well in any good club that is.

A DJ does a lot more than you think and will never be replaced by software, well in any good club that is.

i agree.. a computer can't wish someone a happy birthday, not well at least. a computer can't welcome out a bachelor party. not sincerely at least. i just don't think you understand it is all that we do. those are but two examples.

um, there is hardware you need to operate serato. you can "steal" the software, but you can't use it to play songs. :fly:

Yeah, I'm totally unaware of what they do.

I have never seen a computer walk the streets and promote a club. I have also never seen a computer out at other bars pumping up his night and the other club in general. A computer cannot jump on the mic or control the music choices by the way the crowd is reacting to its choices. The DJ controls the crowd all night and can dictate how the club will be, a computer cannot.

I have seen plenty of clubs "try" to go DJ'less, it doesnt work. Why go all the way to Tampa to go out to a club when you can go to the local bar and get the same music? People, whether they know it or not, go to clubs partially for the DJ(the music AND atmosphere).

Shoot, this one time me an' elpie were in a rathole bar in Bethesda guzzling black 'n tans and listening to some Irish folks warble out Danny Boy on the other end of the room. This feller plods in and leans on the bar next to us. He starts chatting away about some very random crap and somehow he starts telling us we just HAVE to go to this nightclub down by Dupont Circle.

Of course, this just strikes Elpie as wierd so he starts a good ol' drunken Turing test on this dude. Lo and behold he failed, so we followed him out and jacked his RAM behind the dumpster.

i agree.. a computer can't wish someone a happy birthday, not well at least. a computer can't welcome out a bachelor party. not sincerely at least. i just don't think you understand it is all that we do. those are but two examples.

um, there is hardware you need to operate serato. you can "steal" the software, but you can't use it to play songs. :fly:

Again, not YET it can't. Here's a possible replacement: A bartender can type into a keyboard what to say and the "DJ" comes on and in the most human voice you've ever heard wishes them a happy birthday. Maybe even rapping any rhyming happy birthday to the latest 50cent.

I have never seen a computer walk the streets and promote a club. I have also never seen a computer out at other bars pumping up his night and the other club in general.

You don't need a DJ to whore clubs, you need whores to whore clubs. Pimping a club isn't a talent and can be done by anyone.

A computer cannot jump on the mic or control the music choices by the way the crowd is reacting to its choices. The DJ controls the crowd all night and can dictate how the club will be, a computer cannot.

I have seen plenty of clubs "try" to go DJ'less, it doesnt work. Why go all the way to Tampa to go out to a club when you can go to the local bar and get the same music? People, whether they know it or not, go to clubs partially for the DJ(the music AND atmosphere).

Again, NOT YET, but eventually.

And here's another possible scenario: The computer uses a webcam to watch how many people are on the dance floor. It then remembers forever which songs had the most people out and which it should play less. Hell it could even be trained to see if there are more women or black people or people with cowboy hats on to help it guess which kind of music to play.

It's coming, deal with it. :D

Shoot, this one time me an' elpie were in a rathole bar in Bethesda guzzling black 'n tans and listening to some Irish folks warble out Danny Boy on the other end of the room. This feller plods in and leans on the bar next to us. He starts chatting away about some very random crap and somehow he starts telling us we just HAVE to go to this nightclub down by Dupont Circle.

Of course, this just strikes Elpie as wierd so he starts a good ol' drunken Turing test on this dude. Lo and behold he failed, so we followed him out and jacked his RAM behind the dumpster.

I love Dupont Circle!

Again, not YET it can't. Here's a possible replacement: A bartender can type into a keyboard what to say and the "DJ" comes on and in the most human voice you've ever heard wishes them a happy birthday. Maybe even rapping any rhyming happy birthday to the latest 50cent.

You don't need a DJ to whore clubs, you need whores to whore clubs. Pimping a club isn't a talent and can be done by anyone.

And here's another possible scenario: The computer uses a webcam to watch how many people are on the dance floor. It then remembers forever which songs had the most people out and which it should play less. Hell it could even be trained to see if there are more women or black people or people with cowboy hats on to help it guess which kind of music to play.

I love Dupont Circle!

Computer + talking parrot. Problem solved.

I love Dupont Circle!

You are grasping straws because you can say that about any job, including manual labor

I really dont think any of you know how a club works and reasons for its popularity. A DJless club is like a house party with the TV on, it just doesnt work. The DJ feels out the crowd, not only by playing to it but also opening them up to the DJ's favorites. A good dj is at the booth the entire night focusing on his mix's and how the crowd reacts to his style. Sadly in the US the dj market has been saturated with crap and people trying to make all the money they can. There are many shit dj's that have good gigs because of the people they know and not there skill level.

Sure a computer could do as good of a job as a shitty dj but who the hell wants a shitty dj? Even if it could do a perfect job with no mistakes, that takes the human aspect out of the music. Having a live dj will always be, mark my words!

Eventually a computer will be able to do exactly what you do and Mechanic's will cease to exist. Its called progress my friend, we don't all ride in stagecoaches these days...

Eventually a computer will be able to do exactly what you do and Customer Service will cease to exist. Its called progress my friend, we don't all ride in stagecoaches these days...

Eventually a computer will be able to do exactly what you do and Doctors will cease to exist. Its called progress my friend, we don't all ride in stagecoaches these days...

Thats all I am saying ;)

iono fly.. your mythical club and mythical computer scanner dj are certainly within the "doable" realm. as stated before tho, IT WON'T BE FUN TO GO TO.

your scenario fits, as beerguzzler mentioned, LOTS of jobs. does that make them better? does that mean people WANT it? AND.. accordingly.. if people don't WANT it, how long would it exist?

they can make computers and monitors to teach school.. will they ever do it? no, because a computer can't do (as you so BOLDLY typed) EXACTLY what a human can do.

we will agree to disagree. but a computer will NEVER be able to do EXACTLY what I, or any good DJ, do.

knyte.. piss off.. you and your focking parrot. my desk is wobbly, doesn't mean i'm gonna' put you under one of the legs to balance it.