Shalimar

Like herpes - just appears
Feb 5, 2007
St Pete
www.minglemixx.com
Marklar
₥0
i'm sure you'll get a good laugh at my lack of computer knowledge... :tard:

but i got a gateway, 15.4" jammy yesterday at circuit city.. 650 bucks.. got an external hard drive for another 160 i think.

think it's 1G hard drive. um.. dual core pentium thingy..

i checked CC and Best buy and that price was standard.

i'm getting it to use with the dj program/set up Serato. it allows you to use special vinyl (my favorite) plates or CDj's (CD turntable-like joints) but not have to carry music. your music is on your computer and/or external hard drive. no more carrying crates or bags of cd's.

so much music is sent over the internet and/or available mostly only digitally that i had to make the move.

Dude you're getting a Dell.

...wait.

huh?

but i guess the reason i posted was to see if that was a good deal or whatever. it's still in the box, so i could take it back if need be.

there are some Serato specs, some minimums in terms of gigs or whateverinthefuck, that you have to have. my partner has the same one and says it's been fine.

i mean, i could spend 2 grand (like kidd leow) on some powerbook g50 million, but i don't need bells and whistles nor a 20" screen.

shawn, you ever use it? i would think yes. seems almost all the working dj's i know use it. or another program called Final Scratch. there are one or two others as well.

hahaha.. and my son turns 18 tuesday. and his hoops team is 3-0.

only thing that sucks really about having a new laptop is that really, all i plan on using it for is dj'ing. don't wanna load too much stuff up on it for risk of slowing down the program, and possibly having it shut down or something. nothing worse than being in the spot, jamming out, and hearing "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooo" digital noise. that's even worse than a scratched record.

As long as you don't put on a lot of things that autostart you're fine having a lot of software on it. You really don't need the acrobat reader auto start thingy, quicktime update thing, and all that other crap.

When you start to see major performance loss either reload the OS and start fresh or think about upgrading RAM. Usually it's a cheap way to see a difference.

I cant find system requirements for Serato, so I don't know. I can tell you that if it has Vista on it, take it back.

really? i think it has windows vista.. but like i said, my partner t quest uses almost the very same model and has had no problems.

what's wrong with vista? hell, what IS vista?

really? i think it has windows vista.. but like i said, my partner t quest uses almost the very same model and has had no problems.

what's wrong with vista? hell, what IS vista?

Vista is the operating system on it, and its a performance hog. Some of the searches I did mentioned not using Vista with Serato for that exact reason. If you need some help, I can put XP on it or you can return it.

How much RAM is in it? I can check all this out for ya, but I need info...

Vista is the operating system on it, and its a performance hog. Some of the searches I did mentioned not using Vista with Serato for that exact reason. If you need some help, I can put XP on it or you can return it.

ya just format it and install xp

I cant find system requirements for Serato, so I don't know. I can tell you that if it has Vista on it, take it back.

1gb RAM, Vista or XP with SP2 (no 64-bit), hard drive space enough for music (in mixx's case, external) 1.5 ghz P4.

That laptop is more than enough for what you need. I would say you got screwed because BB had a sale on a laptop for $319 out the door (ie no rebates) just this week, but my mom said if I can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

If your external is a Seagate, you did good. They are the only ones with a 5 year warranty on them. The others are much less, even WD goes to 1 year on the externals.

If I were you, I would get a 2gb laptop DDR2 memory kit (2 X 1gb sticks) for $45 after rebate and format and install XP on there. But that's just me.

They all have Vista. Toshiba is the worst because they choose hardware that only has Vista drivers and you have to hack around to get XP running on the thing. At least with HP or Acer or Dell, XP drivers exist.

wow. thanks so much, knew you guys were a great resource. i gotta get some work done (kids and all) but will post the exact specs when i get home and maybe you can help me.

thanks a mill. :heart:

fly, http://rane.com/pdf/sslman174.pdf

Minimum system requirements
• One DJ mixer with at least 2 channels.
• At least one turntable or CD player.
• Computer with USB 1 port supporting Full Speed Mode (USB 1.1).
• Screen resolution 1024 x 768 or higher.
• Hard drive space for storing music.
• PC Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Vista
(64-bit XP not supported)
Pentium 4 / 1.5 GHz
1 GB RAM.
• Mac OSX 10.3
G4 / 1 GHz
1 GB RAM.
Scratch LIVE is compatible with Intel-based Mac computers.
Note: no sound card is necessary.

fly, http://rane.com/pdf/sslman174.pdf

Minimum system requirements
• One DJ mixer with at least 2 channels.
• Computer with USB 1 port supporting Full Speed Mode (USB 1.1).
• Screen resolution 1024 x 768 or higher.
• Hard drive space for storing music.
• PC Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Vista
(64-bit XP not supported)
Pentium 4 / 1.5 GHz
1 GB RAM.
• Mac OSX 10.3
G4 / 1 GHz
1 GB RAM.
Scratch LIVE is compatible with Intel-based Mac computers.
Note: no sound card is necessary.

Ya, then you're at the bare minimum for RAM, mix. I'd suggest you either buy more RAM or get a different laptop. Keep in mind that laptop shells can look the same, but the hardware underneath could be VASTLY different. Which is why Quest's might work and yours might not...

Ditto on more RAM, no PC running Vista should have less than 2GB of RAM. Vista eats up way too much by itself. Run any other applications and your processor is going to have to work overtime.

You can't put XP on his... thats STEALING. :fly:

/mixx