So I just got a new laptop

I guess I am missing your point?

Sure a Dj could be replaced by a machine in the future but you could say the same thing for any of our jobs.

:lol:

Yeah, of course. And plenty of our jobs WILL be replaced. Look at how many already have...

iono fly.. your mythical club and mythical computer scanner dj are certainly within the "doable" realm. as stated before tho, IT WON'T BE FUN TO GO TO.

your scenario fits, as beerguzzler mentioned, LOTS of jobs. does that make them better? does that mean people WANT it? AND.. accordingly.. if people don't WANT it, how long would it exist?

they can make computers and monitors to teach school.. will they ever do it? no, because a computer can't do (as you so BOLDLY typed) EXACTLY what a human can do.

we will agree to disagree. but a computer will NEVER be able to do EXACTLY what I, or any good DJ, do.

knyte.. piss off.. you and your focking parrot. my desk is wobbly, doesn't mean i'm gonna' put you under one of the legs to balance it.

I think both of you are underestimating technology. You really think that 100 years from now, kids will still be sitting in a classroom listening to you lecture?

Last edited:
To advertise a club, the DJ has very little to do with it, at least around Cleveland area. Some of the more popular and busy clubs actually have a DJ off in a corner somewhere is almost completely out of the picture. He/She has little if any contact with the audience and in some cases can't even see them. Sure they might customize a mix IRT (in real time, Mixx use that phrase at a gig sometime please :heart: ) because they see what's going on at the dancefloor, but even something as simple as requests they do not do.

BeerAd, right now my customer support is totally automated with voice recognition for Sprint, Earthlink, and others. Microsoft, too, even. There is no human contact at all to pay bills, installation issues, etc. And with new technology, you almost don't have to open your hood for the first 100K miles of the life of a car. That's the car's lifetime to most people. So in that case, no need for mechanic. Hell even warfare is moving to flight simulations and remote assaults so that humans are less and less involved in the combat.

I think clubs that showcase DJs obviously have to keep the human part of it. It was only recently DJ's did tours and such. They aren't a dying breed, but rather a stagnant breed that got minor popularity but is slowly getting replaced. Not to say your job is trivial, far from it. It took this long for technology to start encroaching on your territory. I know some DJs that hate live performances and would rather use technology in the studio to perfect their sound before showcasing it to the world. If you are a showman, your job will not go away. If you just spin your samples you prerecorded, get ready to get replaced.

Basically I am trying to say that a good dj is an entertainer, not just a juke box. A computer cannot EXACTLY mimic the talents of an entertainer. There is always a human factor involved and people will always want that factor in the club. If not, after a couple of week feeling out the club you could literally throw on a pre-mixed cd and walk away.

Basically I am trying to say that a good dj is an entertainer, not just a juke box. A computer cannot EXACTLY mimic the talents of an entertainer. There is always a human factor involved and people will always want that factor in the club. If not, after a couple of week feeling out the club you could literally throw on a pre-mixed cd and walk away.

I have gone to 3 wedding receptions that were exactly that. :lol:

It would be like going to a standup comedy club and the presenter would hit Play on the CD player :lol:

Computers can already entertain. Enjoy playing with the bots tonite in Q3...

And to say that people will ALWAYS want a human factor in a club is quite shortsighted. And you keep going back to this premixed stuff, which has absolutely nothing to do with a well designed and executed computer system. And to be honest, if all it does is replace a human, no one will care. When people will start caring is when the computers have value added features that are BETTER than humans.

When people will start caring is when the computers have value added features that are BETTER than humans.

ie: Costs less, doesn't complain, is always on-time for work, doesn't start fights with co-workers, yada yada yada.

ie: Costs less, doesn't complain, is always on-time for work, doesn't start fights with co-workers, yada yada yada.

Doesn't get drunk.

Is quicker at identifying the right types of music to play.

Actually takes requests.

Is interactive.

Can play 6 different genres, in 6 different rooms, all at the same time.

Etc.

I have gone to 3 wedding receptions that were exactly that. :lol:

It would be like going to a standup comedy club and the presenter would hit Play on the CD player :lol:

I personally think the DJ's did it to themselves. Getting lazy and not "entertaining" every night made many clubs in this area think of more ways to work these guys. Most places around here are making the DJ's do all the promotion now instead of having a promoter or ontop of one.

I have seen on multiple occasions my close DJ friends toss on a cd and walk away just so they can drink with friends. If I owned a club/bar and saw that I would immediately drop there pay. In fact at one point or another I have seen every single dj I know do that except maybe a couple. Slow nights are slow nights but dont bitch about having to work when you are just throwing on a cd and drinking :fly:

You might want to change your Location in your user control panel. :heart:

Also :drool: send n00ds

Mixx, I think your job is safe. But the industry as a whole might be headed for an electronic shakeup in the future.

Doesn't get drunk.

Actually takes requests.

Is interactive.

Etc.

We have a jukebox at the brewery by my work that downloads the songs you choose (thousands mind you) and blends them together to make a seamless playlist. That is 100% request-driven, choosing from thousands of styles (more than in a conventional DJ's arsenal), flawless transitions, and cheaper in the long run (broadband is cheaper than a dedicated DJ). Put one in each room of a dance club, done. Have it record which choices people picked the most so that a CD can be made later with this mix for the off hours.

You might want to change your Location in your user control panel. :heart:

Also :drool: send n00ds

Mixx, I think your job is safe. But the industry as a whole might be headed for an electronic shakeup in the future.

Done, thanks for the heads up. :heart:

Doesn't get drunk.

Actually takes requests.

Is interactive.

Etc.

:lol: so i got drunk a few times.

you've GOT to understand, everybody ain't cut out to choose the music for a room. joe budweiser pics a wack song, clears the dancefloor, is that good for business? no.

never been to this mythical club with six rooms either.

and you guys are describing wack dj's anyway. i'd rather have a premix than a wanksta anyway if that's the argument.

and i HATE automated voice customer service and shy away from those companies who use it whenever possible. JUST LIKE I'D SHY AWAY FROM A CLUB WITH A COMPUTER DJ. call me a traditionalist.

Computers can already entertain. Enjoy playing with the bots tonite in Q3...

And to say that people will ALWAYS want a human factor in a club is quite shortsighted. And you keep going back to this premixed stuff, which has absolutely nothing to do with a well designed and executed computer system. And to be honest, if all it does is replace a human, no one will care. When people will start caring is when the computers have value added features that are BETTER than humans.

All I can say is that I have seen it tried many times with many different systems and it just doesnt work. Maybe one day in the future they could make a system that does better than a live human, but again you are talking "maybe". I just dont see it happening and if it does happen I dont see it working.

and i HATE automated voice customer service and shy away from those companies who use it whenever possible. JUST LIKE I'D SHY AWAY FROM A CLUB WITH A COMPUTER DJ. call me an old fogey.

done and done :heart:

Actually the club chim took me to had 5 rooms. One was 80's, one was 70's, one was house/dance, one was a drag show (so you can't really automate that, can you?), one was just a loungy area so it was laid back background noise type music. Not saying every room needed a DJ, but certainly those 3 dancing rooms needed them. Also I was at a goth/dark club in LA. 4 different rooms of different styles of dance music. 4 separate DJ's. The ad for the week looked like a menu with all of the names on the page.

:lol: so i got drunk a few times.

you've GOT to understand, everybody ain't cut out to choose the music for a room. joe budweiser pics a wack song, clears the dancefloor, is that good for business? no.

never been to this mythical club with six rooms either.

and you guys are describing wack dj's anyway. i'd rather have a premix than a wanksta anyway if that's the argument.

and i HATE automated voice customer service and shy away from those companies who use it whenever possible. JUST LIKE I'D SHY AWAY FROM A CLUB WITH A COMPUTER DJ. call me a traditionalist.

Unless you have been in or worked personally promoting clubs you just wont understand. I hate to say it like that but I dont think many people understand the difference between a DJ and a song selector.

No computer could ever get a crowd bouncing and screaming "WOOOOT COMPUTA DJ YOU ARE THE MAN-CHINE"

I imagine a system that makes mixes and transitions with the latest hottest single that was just googled and downloaded from Billboard's chart 15 mins earlier as well as downloads mixed in from other DJs in obscure European clubs that no one has ever heard of or released. Done all in realtime or close to it. Every show would be unique, different, beyond current and trendy and viable. Actually you leave the club and the next music you hear is old school already.