Ontopic Mormons and homophobia

Ugh, I know I really shouldn't be getting into this, but who said homosexual conduct is a sin? In bible-based Christianity, it is not mentioned at all in the New Testament directly by Jesus in anyway, the Old Testament was rendered useless by Jesus' own stance, and the mistranslation of the original text has led scholars to believe there is nothing in there about homosexual conduct.

And even further, why should anyone who is a Christian hate anything? Understand the sin, sure. Pray for those who sin, sure. Support those who fight against sin, sure. Make an effort not to sin and repent for forgiveness if you have sinned, sure. Hating a sin or hating those that sin, no.

I've been saying this all along.

I'm not sure anymore. I think the church frowns upon condoms as well (who doesn't?) and that sex is only supposed to be used for procreation purposes, missionary style no foreplay or lube.

Mormons have recently changed their view on this as well. Sex has evolved from a "do it for the children" act to being more openly discussed (as recently as two weeks ago) as an activity that brings partners together and should be done for that reason. They've basically said that celibacy really isn't that great, mostly because a celibate marriage/relationship simply leads to cheating and then divorce. Assuming the gays haven't already performed a midnight ritual in your backyard and forcibly divorced you already.

But when someone obviously doesn't agree with my lifestyle or views and says "well I will be praying for you," I usually tell them to get of the cross and go about their business.

I am ok with that, too. It is their belief that their prayer will help you (or me) "see the light" and lead our lives in the direction to a better path. There is nothing wrong with that thought and if they pray to have that wish bestowed on you or me, that's perfectly acceptable.

What I disagree with is when they don't pray for me because they think I am leading my life down the "wrong" path and instead DO things that push me to the "right" path, such as elect officials that make laws banning homosexuality with the penalty of death or prison time. Or DO things like supporting ballot initiatives discriminating against a way of life that is not in their beliefs. Or DO things like picket and spread violence upon doctors who lawfully perform duties to help people that have made a choice in their life.

Ugh, sorry for taking over your thread, Ghost. My apologies. I should know how I get with this.

I would think that the church elders can probably see the writing on the wall, but they risk alienating their base by moving too quickly. Us internet people are used to the world at lightning speed, but society as a whole just doesn't change that fast. It will be interesting to see what happens, because I only see this societal "lag" getting worse/bigger.

It is indeed interesting to note that the more intellectual and forward thinking were those in the monistery at one point.

It is indeed interesting to note that the more intellectual and forward thinking were those in the monistery at one point.

The Catholic church still invents a ton of money into "real" science. They are no longer the science leaders, but outside of the US, Catholics are pretty well informed.

I would think that the church elders can probably see the writing on the wall, but they risk alienating their base by moving too quickly. Us internet people are used to the world at lightning speed, but society as a whole just doesn't change that fast. It will be interesting to see what happens, because I only see this societal "lag" getting worse/bigger.

Their base should be accepting of anything that comes down to them, that's the entire basis of the religion.

so he's definitely not gold star.

sorry to hear, ghost.

i don't have time to read the whole thread, but yeah, i would think legally he has some rights.

Divorced and gay in Utah? Doesn't stand a chance. He MIGHT get monitored weekly vists, no custody.

crazy that it's the same country as over here. there are a ton of gay people that work here who have adopted even

Their base should be accepting of anything that comes down to them, that's the entire basis of the religion.

I'm trying to tread lightly here, cause this is an awesome thread and I don't want to seem like im bashing, but in some respects religion is more about excluding people. To an outsider, religion is about identifying and grouping yourselves with like minded people (for better or worse).

The main Doc at my tampa clinics is a not even remotely closeted lesbian, and her and her partner just adopted their second child.

I'm trying to tread lightly here, cause this is an awesome thread and I don't want to seem like im bashing, but in some respects religion is more about excluding people. To an outsider, religion is about identifying and grouping yourselves with like minded people (for better or worse).
I know it's different in other places, but I don't know of any places around here that would turn you away if you wanted to go no matter who you were.

On the other hand, why would you want to be involved with a religion you didn't agree with at least most of the time?

That seems like an exercise in futility to me...

The main Doc at my tampa clinics is a not even remotely closeted lesbian, and her and her partner just adopted their second child.

Women can adopt easier than men. I am curious, because this is in FL, did she disclaim she was a lesbian? That is a required question to answer for the adoption papers and she will be rejected if she answered honestly (only state in the union that would do that).

And it is a different issue if someone is adopting a child already inthe system vs. a custody dispute.

I guess I don't want to introduce his homosexuality as the automatic reason he would be denied. And I wanted to give Utah more credit that they would be supportive of a male adoptive parent in some cases so I left that out, too.

Single non-abusive father without extended family vs. non-abusive birth mother with extended family, the woman will always win.

It doesn't help that the father is gay.

It doesn't help that the people ruling on the case are in Utah.