Ontopic Mormons and homophobia

Unfortunately it does seem that men in general have a much harder time in court with these types of cases :(

Well, to be honest, he is a single man fighting for a child that is already living with his ex wife and has her family's support. I am pretty sure since he has been outed, his side of the family has been distant to him so it would be just him alone fighting for the child.

Several times while in church I've debated saying something when they start up with "well, see the biggest threat to family is the gays", but honestly I don't want the fallout to land on Kimie, so I just keep my mouth shut.

Nor can I. I knew him pretty well growing up, and honestly it doesn't really surprise me that he's gay, nor do I think any less of him on any level as a result. It's just tragic.

Why would the fallout just be on kiwi? I would have assumed she would have supported your stance as well, albeit not as vocally.

Distancing is quite different from out and out shunning/hatred though.

I don't surround myself with users of illegal drugs, but I don't particularly care if people want to use them or not.

Although that DOES bring up an excellent point.

Ghost - forgive me for asking, but would you expect someone discovered to be using an illegal drug to be treated the same in that particular church?

It's interesting you say this, because I also spoke with my mother about this topic. My brothers (two, possibly three) are all hardcore potheads. People in the local church group of course are aware, and treat my mom terribly as a result. They whisper and "gossip" whenever she enters the room, it's brought her to tears numerous times as a result.

Yes, any kind of "going against the grain" is very poorly received.

Props to you Ghost for not being close-minded. While I understand the need for religious devotion for some people, it always seems the churches themselves that fuck it up for everybody. Religions teach love, acceptance and tolerance, while providing a moral guideline for people. I think the stance of churches on issues such as divorce (which has come along slowly) and homosexuality (where much work needs to be done) is what drives a lot of formerly religious people away from practicing their religion.

Last edited:
When I was little my grandmother told me to hate the sin, love the sinner.

Apparently others weren't taught this.

If I were the guy, I would take his ex to court for rights to that kid.

Ugh, I know I really shouldn't be getting into this, but who said homosexual conduct is a sin? In bible-based Christianity, it is not mentioned at all in the New Testament directly by Jesus in anyway, the Old Testament was rendered useless by Jesus' own stance, and the mistranslation of the original text has led scholars to believe there is nothing in there about homosexual conduct.

And even further, why should anyone who is a Christian hate anything? Understand the sin, sure. Pray for those who sin, sure. Support those who fight against sin, sure. Make an effort not to sin and repent for forgiveness if you have sinned, sure. Hating a sin or hating those that sin, no.

Last edited:
Ugh, I know I really shouldn't be getting into this, but who said homosexual conduct is a sin? In bible-based Christianity, it is not mentioned at all in the New Testament directly by Jesus in anyway, the Old Testament was rendered useless by Jesus' own stance, and the mistranslation of the original text has led scholars to believe there is nothing in there about homosexual conduct.

And even further, why should anyone who is a Christian hate anything? Understand the sin, sure. Prey for those who sin, sure. Support those who fight against sin, sure. Make an effort not to sin and repent for forgiveness if you have sinned, sure. Hating a sin or hating those that sin, no.

Sex outside the confines of marriage is a sin, and since the Church won't marry homosexuals, homosexual sex would therefore be a sin.

I don't wish that at all to you. See what it does to people when they have attraction to the same-sex?

I know you don't, my friend. It was just funny that was one of the first things you asked. For some reason I'm constantly knee deep in gay guys begging me to turn to the dark side.

It's interesting you say this, because I also spoke with my mother about this topic. My brothers (two, possibly three) are all hardcore potheads. People in the local church group of course are aware, and treat my mom terribly as a result. They whisper and "gossip" whenever she enters the room, it's brought her to tears numerous times as a result.

Yes, any kind of "going against the grain" is very poorly received.

Boy it sure didn't seem that way at all from the picture you posted :fly:

No, really, that is awful, your poor mom :(

Props to you Ghost for not being close-minded. While I understand the need for religious devotion for some people, it always seems the churches themselves that fuck it up for everybody. Religions teach love, acceptance and tolerance, while providing a moral guideline for people. I think the stance of churches on issues such as divorce (which has come along slowly) and homosexuality (where much work needs to be done) is what drives a lot of formerly religious people away from practicing their religion.

It's not how I was raised. I talk a lot about how hysterical racism and such is, because it IS hysterical, but it's not who I am.

No it wasn't. Christians are still to follow the Ten Commandments

And even further, why should anyone who is a Christian hate anything? Understand the sin, sure. Prey for those who sin, sure. Support those who fight against sin, sure. Make an effort not to sin and repent for forgiveness if you have sinned, sure. Hating a sin or hating those that sin, no.

To hate the sin is not to be angry to the person that commits it.

I know you don't, my friend. It was just funny that was one of the first things you asked. For some reason I'm constantly knee deep in gay guys begging me to turn to the dark side.

Because you are hot, and by your lack of experience most likely tight. Do you blame us? :heart: