Ontopic Mormons and homophobia

Women can adopt easier than men. I am curious, because this is in FL, did she disclaim she was a lesbian? That is a required question to answer for the adoption papers and she will be rejected if she answered honestly (only state in the union that would do that).

And it is a different issue if someone is adopting a child already inthe system vs. a custody dispute.

I don't know the full details. I know they used an adoption agency, and had to travel out of state to claim the child upon it's birth. Took them 4 tries as the previous 3 mothers all flaked out in one way or another. From my understanding, there was a bunch of cash thrown at the deal to make it work. She is a Doctor, after all.

No idea on claims, but since it was her and her partner flying to the locations to do it, I'm pretty sure disclosure was made.

What's scary is the mother can claim that contact with someone as deranged as this man (he was straight, now gay, he is confused down to the core and that can mean he is unstable) would be harmful to the child, restricting all access to the child from the father. That would be especially true if/when the mother remarries.

I'm trying to tread lightly here, cause this is an awesome thread and I don't want to seem like im bashing, but in some respects religion is more about excluding people. To an outsider, religion is about identifying and grouping yourselves with like minded people (for better or worse).

On the surface I don't think any religion would consider itself exclusive, except possibly snake handlers, but it definitely exists.

I guess I don't want to introduce his homosexuality as the automatic reason he would be denied. And I wanted to give Utah more credit that they would be supportive of a male adoptive parent in some cases so I left that out, too.

Single non-abusive father without extended family vs. non-abusive birth mother with extended family, the woman will always win.

It doesn't help that the father is gay.

It doesn't help that the people ruling on the case are in Utah.

I'm aware that the father will always have trouble getting custody from the mother, no matter the state, but in Utah the circumstances will make it that much more difficult for him.

I don't know the full details. I know they used an adoption agency, and had to travel out of state to claim the child upon it's birth. Took them 4 tries as the previous 3 mothers all flaked out in one way or another. From my understanding, there was a bunch of cash thrown at the deal to make it work. She is a Doctor, after all.

No idea on claims, but since it was her and her partner flying to the locations to do it, I'm pretty sure disclosure was made.

So it was an out-of-state baby. That's the only way they can do it legally. Then they can use the fact that the state they got approved of issued the adoption papers, FL HAS to recognize them. That's the way around it.

If they tried to go through the FL system, they wouldn't get very far.

On the surface I don't think any religion would consider itself exclusive, except possibly snake handlers, but it definitely exists.

true, but its still: If you don't do this now, you can't go here with us later. Anyway, I know that's really not the point of this thread. <3

So it was an out-of-state baby. That's the only way they can do it legally. Then they can use the fact that the state they got approved of issued the adoption papers, FL HAS to recognize them. That's the way around it.

If they tried to go through the FL system, they wouldn't get very far.
You say that as if it's not a common occurrence to adopt out of state :fly:

It seems to be QUITE common actually...

true, but its still: If you don't do this now, you can't go here with us later. Anyway, I know that's really not the point of this thread. <3

This is something that I've personally always struggled with for a long time. Mormonism is even a bit more exclusive than other religions in this regard. I don't see God as being exclusive, I've never seen that as being what he is about.

The Catholic church still invents a ton of money into "real" science. They are no longer the science leaders, but outside of the US, Catholics are pretty well informed.

I'd like to say that I'm pretty interested and vested into "real" science as well. Not just outside of the US. Thank you very much. :mad:

Yeah, that's somewhat similar to what happened to my uncle (about 7 or so years ago.) Fortunately, it's calmed down to the point that he and my aunt can now be civil when they're in the same room. The same can't be said of him and my aunt's family (my family) unfortunately. My cousin's wedding this summer is going to be reeeeeeeeal interesting.

Anyways...

Blind hatred is one of the few things that really depresses me, regardless of where it comes from or who it's directed at. Whether it's jihadists (sp?) thinking up new and creative ways to kill infidels en masse, or Christians gleefully raving about how their merciful and loving Father has prepared eternal damnation for sinners, or atheists going on about how religion is the bane of humanity and followers should be taken out and shot (a comment which somehow got voted +4 Insightful on Slashdot) - seriously, how fucked-up of a person can you be that you would honestly want that, for ANYONE?

It sounds trite, but why CAN'T we all just get along? :\

It sounds trite, but why CAN'T we all just get along? :\

Because we fear things we don't understand. Since we are all different we can't possibly understand everything about everyone so we are fearful. Fear does strange things to different people.

Ghost or kiwi, if this upsets you so much, have you thought about approaching your minister/priest/high officer about the issue? Let him or her know your observations, noting there seems to be a slight biased to the direction of hatred by pointing to a group of people for blaming something? I would be surprised and saddened if even approaching a teacher such as a preacher would be met with resistance or have them blab to others about your concerns.

Mormon #3, do you see the same thing happening in your church? Because of your elevated experience, have you seen a change in the church getting any more or less aggressive toward homosexuality or has the level of hatred stayed the same?

Ghost, how old is this friend of yours that was married? 20's? 30's? older?

If he was in his 20's, there is a strong chance of a successful recovery in his self-worth. The older you are coming out, the harder it is to realize yourself and to enjoy your life truthfully and without pressure.