Advice Time to ditch cable

also, if you have shit named well, you can use a renamer to tag everything with its quality, then just wipe em out yourself

to be fair, usenet used to be an enormous pain in the ass. i used it briefly when you had to manually download each message attachment. It was not worth the time.

Also... it costs money. When you can get shit for free, why would you pay

because the reason I pirate isn't the cost, it's the convenience. if I could watch the newest episode of agents of shield the day it was released on netflix or amazon or abc's own site without dealing with advertising or caching when I want to skip back a few seconds I would pay for it. so I pay the 7 bucks for a seedbox to keep my ratios up (plus it allows me to seed things on principle without worrying about my own connection)

I'm also not willing to dig around free streaming sites that want to run plugins, it's like sticking your dick in a glory hole. if you know of some reliable ones that would be cool but generally I like having the actual video file on hand in the event I want to add a commentary track, subtitles, take some snapshots or pull a clip out, easily rewind, etc

ive got a good perl script to get rid of dupes if you have shit named well.

unfortunately a lot of it is not named well since this NAS was about 80% populated when I bought it. part of it really is just having someone open up every single file and checking the quality

I've had standardized naming conditions since 2004 or so, with extended data starting in 2008.

Used to be "movie name.avi" prior to HD stuff. Then i had to start doing "movie name 720P.mkv" , then i started running into duplicate names with remakes and stuff, and ended up on Movie Name (year) - 1080P.mkv

Couchpotato renames to that format for me now, so i never have to touch it, but almost everything is in that format from prior to couchpotato.

I would love to have a standardized naming format but there are literally almost four thousand different movies on this thing and the amount of effort that would go into organizing it all is way to high

i still find usenet incredibly easy and pain free. if it ever really dies i'll switch to a seedbox. newzbin was around before torrents and was incredibly easy. ever since it went down sabnzbd, sickbeard, etc. has come around making things all automated.

to be fair, usenet used to be an enormous pain in the ass. i used it briefly when you had to manually download each message attachment. It was not worth the time.

Also... it costs money. When you can get shit for free, why would you pay
I did a ton of that with Free Agent (I think it was called). Back then Roadrunner had some pretty sweet (free) newsgroups.

it was still free when I paid for it because I only got 2gb of transfer via the ISP's access

switched to giganews, smooth sailing

over the air with a special antenna gets you like 30 local channels for free, or live.cnn.com

personally i prefer to read all my news.

I keep forgetting about this.

I don't mind reading, but in general I find that there's too much spin involved. I want to see an entire interview, not the "let's trim this down to 4 words we can get clicks with" reporting.

I don't mind reading, but in general I find that there's too much spin involved. I want to see an entire interview, not the "let's trim this down to 4 words we can get clicks with" reporting.
Use this site to find which providers you should be able to get:
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

Those are the main stations, each main station has multiple channels usually though.

Look up hdtv antennas or digital tv antennas on Amazon.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel

what gets aired is never the entire interview. you're more likely to get that online

I just ditched cable too. I went through a bit of sports withdrawal until my brother in law gave me his TWC account info to watch games that way.

I jailbroke an old Apple TV I had lying around today, installed XBMC, and I also use Plex heavily for torrenting shows/movies. I'm in the experimental phase. Dabbling in various solutions to find the package that makes me the happiest. XBMC isn't exactly user friendly to try to get live tv on it. I've watched 4 or 5 tutorials and none of them are particularly helpful.

My future probably looks like this:

1. Broadcast channels via antenna;
2. Sling TV ($20/month for the best basic channels;
3. Plex for torrented series/movies;
4. Amazon Prime and Netflix accounts for redundancy/retarded relatives.

My next project is to build a $500 media center PC to be the central nervous system for the house. Right now I'm operating off my laptop and an external HD, and it's a sloppy setup.

I can't believe media in the 21st fucking century is such a fucking nuisance. Fuck.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Duke