Advice Time to ditch cable

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,249
Steam
asastang
We set a goal of ditching cable by the 31st.

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc etc etc. Who uses what, and what do you like/dislike about them.

Also, is there a difference in the various methods of plugging into the TV? Chromecast is fairly cheap, Amazon Fire TV is more expensive, is one better?

What else should I be asking?

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc etc etc. Who uses what, and what do you like/dislike about them.

Also, is there a difference in the various methods of plugging into the TV? Chromecast is fairly cheap, Amazon Fire TV is more expensive, is one better?

Shit, if you have patience to click a few different streams until one works, id just go the completely free route. Install XMBC ("kodi", fuck that name), and then install genesis or one of the other streaming plugins.

I download 1/10th of what i used to, and no TV at all. Why would i when i can have a selection of any show out of there in two clicks, and a stream.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
We just use Netflix. I have amazon prime and it comes out maybe 3 times a year if we are looking for something specific. We don't watch much TV at all though.

Shit, if you have patience to click a few different streams until one works, id just go the completely free route. Install XMBC ("kodi", fuck that name), and then install genesis or one of the other streaming plugins.

I download 1/10th of what i used to, and no TV at all. Why would i when i can have a selection of any show out of there in two clicks, and a stream.
Yeah, fuck that. I don't have the patience for all that. Plex > *

Ladybutt isn't opposed to change, but she is not a technophile, so I doubt she'd be interested or trust the 100% free route just yet

I use Kodi with MythTV on my debian server for OTA HD PVR (using a pair of winTV HVR 2250s), attached to a Gray-Hoverman antenna in the attic.

We also watch Netflix on our Wii-U.

The only thing I find myself wanting is live F1, and I can stand delaying satisfaction on that while the torrents run.

my parents have a roku, and you're talking about people who can operate solitare on a normal computer and that's about it. they have like 30+ free local channels from OTA (just needed some antenna), plus netflix and a few premium channels. HBO isn't cheap but it's on demand for all of their shows, so you can at least use the piss out of it. they also have plex somehow (think a friend hooked them up), and still end up spending like $50/month all told -- but i think that includes their internet bill.

i like amazon prime, because i buy a lot of shit anyways so had it for free shipping. the movie selection isn't awesome, but it's not terrible. plenty of older stuff to entertain yourself with, just nothing new and groundbreaking... but that's what usenet is for.

edit: my mom commented they got rid of cable cause they never watched any of the 300 channels, and now they have more crap to watch than she can handle.

i run one too, i just dont give you fuckers access to it

and of course... eveyrthing i have is perfectly legally, and i have just destroyed the blurays in a freak fire that are copies of the movies i have.

I've got the Amazon Fire TV Stick. It's a little device, slightly larger than a thumb drive, that plugs right into the HDMI port on your TV. IT comes with it's own remote, or you can download the app on your phone and use your phone as the remote.

It allows you to do Hulu and all that shit.

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Plex (THANKS FLY!!!)

They actually have another service for $20/month called Sling. It gives you realtime access to channels like HGTV, History, H2, TBS... Channels like that. To some that might be worth it, to others not so much.

All in all, it's a hell of a lot better than cable or satellite.

I know Amazon has the Amazon Fire and the Amazon Fire Stick. I'm honestly not sure of the difference.

OK, I just read a little about Plex, and it sounds good to me. Does it work with Linux?

Also will Netflix work on a linux machine, with the stupid silverlight windows player thing?

My brother is giving me a linux tower, not sure which distribution he has on it, and including a hard drive with lots of movies and shows. I guess his annoyance that I still have cable is driving him to do nice things. :)

welcome to 2011.