Advice Time to ditch cable

Sports are going to kill themselves if they keep pumping up their income demands. Private cable only access, specific network subscriptions, ticket prices out the roof, etc etc...

I enjoy sports, but only so much. But as long as people keep paying, they'll keep doing.

I won't be voting for any public funds for stadiums anymore though. Corporate welfare is as bad as welfare for the lazy.

Sports are going to kill themselves if they keep pumping up their income demands. Private cable only access, specific network subscriptions, ticket prices out the roof, etc etc...

I enjoy sports, but only so much. But as long as people keep paying, they'll keep doing.

I won't be voting for any public funds for stadiums anymore though. Corporate welfare is as bad as welfare for the lazy.

it's a bubble just like any other

Some of that is just the way watching anything is going. You already have folks like Netflix, Amazon, and now Apple just making their own content that's exclusive to them. Soon enough everything you want to watch will come with some small subscription service vs it being on cable.

it doesn't seem like things have gotten truly ridiculous since the last 5 or 10 though, right?
10 at minimum. Every since insane amounts of public money have started being dumped into stadiums because team owners 'don't have the luxury box receipts they need to stay in town'

it doesn't seem like things have gotten truly ridiculous since the last 5 or 10 though, right?

That's because you didn't have any other way to really watch it vs your local provider. Streaming wasn't an option and for most regions you only have 1 cable provider and satellite to chose from so there was no real competition.

I get the arguments that it brings revenue to a city but it's still infuriating. College sports feels even worse

I get the arguments that it brings revenue to a city but it's still infuriating. College sports feels even worse

I do too. But I've only seen it work once, and that was in Denver when they put up Coors Field. It changed, permanently and for the better, the entire nature of downtown Denver.

And yeah, the money going in to college sports while tuition skyrockets..

The only way it will change is when people stop being okay with shelling out stupid amounts of money for this shit.

And yeah, the money going in to college sports while tuition skyrockets..

Yep, when an educational system is the de facto minor league of a sports empire as large as the NFL, weird things start to happen in schools. Like college coaches making millions of dollars a year, and school trusts collecting mountains of money.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Yep, when an educational system is the de facto minor league of a sports empire as large as the NFL, weird things start to happen in schools. Like college coaches making millions of dollars a year, and school trusts collecting mountains of money.

or even worse when an educational system is the major league for an area

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
10 at minimum. Every since insane amounts of public money have started being dumped into stadiums because team owners 'don't have the luxury box receipts they need to stay in town'

that's only some of the owners. the rams owner is building his own stadium, he bought a team in a city he never wanted it to be in. :rolleyes:

really, green bay is the only one that has it right. cities should just start their own league.