Food The Vegan Thread

Whats the difference between mayo and miracle whip? Come on people!
Mayonnaise: oil, vinegar (or lemon juice, or some other acid) and egg yolks whipped into an emulsion. Basically combine three foods and whip 'em.

Miracle whip: hydrogenated soybean oil, HFCS and a few other things. Pretty much the same thing as whipping together vegetable shortening and soda. Yum!

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
Personally I don't get margarine.

Start with vegetable oil, run it through an oil refining process (hydrogenation) which thickens it, but converts the unsaturated fats into saturated and trans fats. Add water, emulsifiers, fake butter flavor, fake butter color and whip everything together... Voila, you've got "I can't believe I'm eating this shit!"

Personally I don't get margarine.

Start with vegetable oil, run it through an oil refining process (hydrogenation) which thickens it, but converts the unsaturated fats into saturated and trans fats. Add water, emulsifiers, fake butter flavor, fake butter color and whip everything together... Voila, you've got "I can't believe I'm eating this shit!"
remember it was all 'this is healthier. . . ' ????

the things we learn over time. . .

When we were making supper last night, the gf and I were joking that we should start a stupid diet fad.

"I know, how about a pickle juice cleanse?"

We google it... sadly, it exists already.
I think some people think anything that causes diarrhea is a "cleanse" but like no, you're just shitting out all that brine + the water it sucked out of your guts

that said, I love the fuck out of pickle juice and green olive juice. I also love V8 and tomato juice, and those both also make me shit my brains out in the quantities I drink them in (but I don't drink it for that effect, I just fucking love it)

remember it was all 'this is healthier. . . ' ????

the things we learn over time. . .
Yep. "holy shit, what's trans fat?" - then all of a sudden everyone went to non-hydrogenated processes requiring even more elaborate chemical processing, masking all of it by pushing shit like "made from olive oil!"

Well, yeah, here's how it's made now: http://www.google.com/patents/WO2008059220A1

General Method

1) A triglyceride is melted, and glycerol compound (and optionally a catalyst, typically an alkaline catalyst) is charged to a reactor. The proportion of monoglycerides in the mono-diglyceride mixture will depend on the proportions of triglyceride and glycerol used. Table 1 indicates suitable proportions of triglyceride and glycerol that may be used.

2) The temperature in the reactor is brought to the reaction temperature of between 240- 255°C.

3) The reaction mixture is reacted at the reaction temperature until the reaction mixture becomes clear, and thereafter a further 30 minutes.

4) If a catalyst has been used, the reaction mixture is neutralized with phosphoric acid.

5) The reaction mixture is cooled to about 90C.

6) A deodorisation setup is prepared and the reaction mixture is deodorized at 140C, at <0.5mmHg for 30 minutes.

If consent is a real thing then those people are crazier than I thought.
it is a consideration for many vegans, but not necessarily all.

like milking cows doesn't kill them like slaughtering them for meat would, but the processes in place for milking (e.g. keeping then perpetually pregnant/nursing and hooked up to milking machines) is a deterrent for many people, and then whether they'd be OK with milk from a friend's pet cow who just happened to be pregnant or whatever would vary for some folks who maybe aren't VEGAN as much as concerned about the ethics of factory farming etc
but yeah, cows cannot consent to being milked (but sometimes they really need it because of sore teats etc so you're doing a good?)

it's complicated, and some people make it more complicated by adding or changing rules, and some people make it less complicated by enacting strict rules on themselves instead of dealing with thinking about each situation. I personally take a pretty lax approach to it, I just try to make decisions that make me feel better about it, and I don't expect the same of others or for others to make concessions for me.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots