Food The Vegan Thread

I Googled it.
I'm going to refer to human breast milk as the "Great Vegan Bullshit Loophole".
"Its vegan if you can obtain consent for it".
I call bullshit.
It's vegan if it's not an animal product.
And so what?
Human milk is the natural food of human infants.
In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anything other than raising your children as omnivore BEFORE THEY CAN CONSENT TO VEGANISM might bring up ethical issues.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
cows cannot consent to being milked

I get that there's a deeper philosophical discussion to be had regarding intelligence and self awareness but that feels like saying cows can't run for president because they don't live to 35. The notion of consent seems so far removed from their nature as animals that I'm not sure it applies.

Maybe if it was a dolphin or an elephant? Unless it's a dolphin that spends all its money on lottery tickets

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
but it's milk from a mammal... duh!
No one is stealing the milk from humans to feed to babies (or adults) of a different species. No one is artificially inseminating women and taking their babies away so the mothers can be milked by machines, and that milk fed to another species. No one is killing the male babies at a few months old to feed their bodies to another species. No one is slaughtering and feeding women to another species when their milk production declines.

The point of veganism is to do the least harm. Breastmilk is free, the best food for babies, and environmentally a zillion times better than formula.

I Googled it.
I'm going to refer to human breast milk as the "Great Vegan Bullshit Loophole".
"Its vegan if you can obtain consent for it".
I call bullshit.
It's vegan if it's not an animal product.
And so what?
Human milk is the natural food of human infants.
In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anything other than raising your children as omnivore BEFORE THEY CAN CONSENT TO VEGANISM might bring up ethical issues.
Do the children consent to meat eating? Put an apple and a bunny in a baby's crib. Which will he eat, and which will he pet?

How about drugs? Your kids might want to do heroin when they grow up. How dare you keep it away from them as children before they can make their own decisions? How about dog meat? Why not give them that? Why have a bedtime, or homework? Kids might rather play video games.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
No one is stealing the milk from humans to feed to babies (or adults) of a different species. No one is artificially inseminating women and taking their babies away so the mothers can be milked by machines, and that milk fed to another species. No one is killing the male babies at a few months old to feed their bodies to another species. No one is slaughtering and feeding women to another species when their milk production declines.

The point of veganism is to do the least harm. Breastmilk is free, the best food for babies, and environmentally a zillion times better than formula.
pssst that post was sarcasm

I don't want to ever debate vegan vs not for a whole bunch of reasons

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Do the children consent to meat eating? Put an apple and a bunny in a baby's crib. Which will he eat, and which will he pet?

How about drugs? Your kids might want to do heroin when they grow up. How dare you keep it away from them as children before they can make their own decisions? How about dog meat? Why not give them that? Why have a bedtime, or homework? Kids might rather play video games.
So the ethical thing to do once the infant is eating solid food, would be to take it to a Chinese buffet and let the child give consent to what it likes to eat.
I guarantee as a parent, some children will eat meat naturally and others will not.

So the ethical thing to do once the infant is eating solid food, would be to take it to a Chinese buffet and let the child give consent to what it likes to eat.
I guarantee as a parent, some children will eat meat naturally and others will not.
The ethical thing to do is let people raise their kids the way they fukn want, provided it isn't harming the kid.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi and Ledboots
That is just idiotic

I get that there's a deeper philosophical discussion to be had regarding intelligence and self awareness but that feels like saying cows can't run for president because they don't live to 35. The notion of consent seems so far removed from their nature as animals that I'm not sure it applies.

Maybe if it was a dolphin or an elephant? Unless it's a dolphin that spends all its money on lottery tickets
the big point is that animals cannot consent, they are incapable of giving informed consent to do things to it
this is also why sex with animals is unethical, besides it just being gross.

Yep. "holy shit, what's trans fat?" - then all of a sudden everyone went to non-hydrogenated processes requiring even more elaborate chemical processing, masking all of it by pushing shit like "made from olive oil!"

Well, yeah, here's how it's made now: http://www.google.com/patents/WO2008059220A1
There's way too many big words in there for it to be food.