Food The Vegan Thread

Amstel

The Hoarse Whisperer
Jul 12, 2009
you're a whore, but in a good way. Kindof.
Marklar
₥43,517
@Ledboots . . .

So due to this exercise program I'm on I've gone to 175% RDA calories protein/carbs/fat.

But I read that our diets contain a bit more meat than we actually need, so I got a vegan protein powder to supplement and not totally jack up the meat with everything else.

THEN yesterday someone mumbles that vegan proteins are NOT complete proteins and proteins like whey, because it's animal, ARE complete proteins. Something. . . amino acids. . . something something is missing in the vegan ones.

Soooo, what do you do you round out your diet if you're missing stuff? How do you know you've got everything you need?

Also, other vegan crap could go in here. I imagine @Ledboots will have to keep it up though.

It will become a shit fest thread, I predict!

If you had just said protein powder and not vegan protein powder, likely no one would have dissed it. There is something about not eating meat, or even eating one vegan meal that draws the ire of people who do eat meat.

OK, animal protein has all the amino acids to make up a complete protein. With plant-based eating, combining proteins makes them complete. You don't have to combine them in the same meal, but in the same day is ideal. It is pretty easy tbh, as stuff like rice and beans is a complete protein. Whole grain bread and peanut butter. Etc etc. Most people on the standard American diet eat far more protein than they need in any case.

Vegan protein powders are usually pretty complete with the amino acids. I like the pea or hemp ones better than the soy, just easier on the digestion for me. I throw a scoop in my morning fruit smoothie.

There are successful athletes, including body builders, NFL players, MMA fighters, etc who are vegan. They need a lot more protein than your average bro, and they get it.

You will be eating meat anyway, so you will likely get plenty of complete protein without even thinking about it. :)

From a lifter standpoint, whey protein, casein protein, soy protein all have varying degrees of success.

And just like any diet, you more than likely just supplement it with vitamins. being vegan, it's not the protein itself you're missing, its certain amino acids and minerals that are only found in meat that you would supplement with a vitamin.

I agree, we all eat way too much meat these days and for some reason it pisses people off to hear that.
Luis sure doesn't feel like he gets enough in this house :fly: I'm really just a poultry eater. I rarely eat red meat because Luis likes it more so I toss it in now and then.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
Nothing wrong with being vegan. There's just a fucking annoying vocal minority of vegans that gives the group a bad name.

I eat tons of vegetarian food. Right now I'm fucking loving the Thug Kitchen cookbook/website, now that it's harvest season and all kinds of random cheap vegetables are showing up at farmers markets.

From a lifter standpoint, whey protein, casein protein, soy protein all have varying degrees of success.

And just like any diet, you more than likely just supplement it with vitamins. being vegan, it's not the protein itself you're missing, its certain amino acids and minerals that are only found in meat that you would supplement with a vitamin.
Only B12, everything else is found in plants.

Nothing wrong with being vegan. There's just a fucking annoying vocal minority of vegans that gives the group a bad name.

I eat tons of vegetarian food. Right now I'm fucking loving the Thug Kitchen cookbook/website, now that it's harvest season and all kinds of random cheap vegetables are showing up at farmers markets.
Omg I love the Thugs!

If that darn 4eyes is giving you flack, tell him to go pound sand!
I think you could take'm.
Lol poor 4eyes. Yes my cousins do tease me about it, but in a good natured way. It's a few bitches at work that annoy the crap out of me. "Ewwwww, what are you eating? Have a burger, you are too skinny hahahaha."

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
vegan pro-tips:
daiya/cheeze usually tastes way better melted
tofurkey makes consistently delicious meat substitutes (the soyrizo is particularly delicious)
Amy's also make really, really good stuff and often has vegan or vegetarian options
most beef substitutes are not great because they obviously taste like not-beef and have an unbeefy texture, so it may take time to find one you like
Gardein makes really good meatless chicken and fish tenders, and their BBQ pork pockets are fucking DELICIOUS