Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Ill never buy a fridge with water/ice in the door again
Every one weve had (different brands) has failed in some way
Yeah, at least did that right when we picked this Samsung. To make sure it didn't have a shitty compressor, and it doesn't have water in the door and the ice is just a bin with a scooper in the freezer which works well

The dual compressor setup is nice, so even when the fridge is being a piece of shit, the freezer doesn't thaw. Although I do expect the independent freezer set up uses the same temperature sensors and same defrost setup, so it'll probably break in a similar manner at some point

Get a Sub Zero set from a restaurant supply house.
It seems a fool's errand to try to get something good, even Sub-Zero. We'll likely get something passable and then just play it for it to die after 4 years, or find a warranty so it's not our problem when that happens

Fuckin' 4 year old Samsung fridge died again last night. It's poorly designed so the evap coil drain gets plugged easily, which then causes ice buildup and then it overwhelms the defrost heater and the whole thing cascades.

So a month or so ago I installed an auxillary defrost heater kit, that worked for a few weeks until the temperature sensor failed and stopped turning on the main or aux defrost at all, which created a block of ice that busted the evap cover, burned out the fan, and bent the coil itself.

So I'm replacing all that shit, because apparently every fridge on the market these days is crap, and replacing it wouldn't really improve the situation.
All Samsung appliances are crap. That's normal. Our new house came with Samsung, and they are also all shit.

Go Whirlpool Gold, if you don't mind the cost. At a minimum, the regular Whirlpool line. All US shit and pretty well done.

All Samsung appliances are crap. That's normal. Our new house came with Samsung, and they are also all shit.

Go Whirlpool Gold, if you don't mind the cost. At a minimum, the regular Whirlpool line. All US shit and pretty well done.
Not finding hardly anything about Whirlpool Gold. Googling just results in a bunch of problems as the first two pages of results.

Whats driving the recommendation? Theyre not really that pricy

Not finding hardly anything about Whirlpool Gold. Googling just results in a bunch of problems as the first two pages of results.

Whats driving the recommendation? Theyre not really that pricy
I was recently looking around when trying to fix the ice maker in my old fridge and saw a couple suggestions of the brand from repair guys. Their experience matched mine when we had a Whirlpool Gold. Best fridge and never had any issues.

And yeah, of course its problems. No one goes online to say its working fine!

my title continues to be fitting despite having moved houses :lol: 😭

at this house, we at least do not have to deal with actual legitimate full flooding of the backyard and (unfinished) basement every time it rains, but here when we get a lot of rain very quickly, it has started to come in, and the trade-off is that even though it's a much smaller volume, it is coming into the carpeted/finished basement, we're wondering if there's a crack in the foundation/settling/whatever that's allowing it in.

we had plans to tear it up/redo it at some point anyway but we had been planning to wait until my cat croaks so we don't have to stress over her shitting or pissing or barfing on the new carpet, but she's still with us and I'm currently soaked in nastiness from shampooing/suctioning the floor down there. the people who had the house before us had dogs and the soakage has also definitely allowed spots of dog piss where the upper portion of the carpet seemed clean/at least not stained to come into damp contact with the lower levels/pad/etc. and basically pulled ancient dog piss forth :barf:

at this house, we at least do not have to deal with actual legitimate full flooding of the backyard and (unfinished) basement every time it rains, but here when we get a lot of rain very quickly, it has started to come in, and the trade-off is that even though it's a much smaller volume, it is coming into the carpeted/finished basement, we're wondering if there's a crack in the foundation/settling/whatever that's allowing it in.

we had plans to tear it up/redo it at some point anyway but we had been planning to wait until my cat croaks so we don't have to stress over her shitting or pissing or barfing on the new carpet, but she's still with us and I'm currently soaked in nastiness from shampooing/suctioning the floor down there. the people who had the house before us had dogs and the soakage has also definitely allowed spots of dog piss where the upper portion of the carpet seemed clean/at least not stained to come into damp contact with the lower levels/pad/etc. and basically pulled ancient dog piss forth :barf:

Check the usual.

Gutter downspouts should have extensions on them.

Check the grading.

Or just buy a tarp and cover up the area outside where you think the water is getting in. Make sure it covers 6’ out from the house.

Do your gutters have at least 10 ft extensions on em?

Did my yearly reclamation of the brick patio, filled the hummingbird feeders, and cleaned the patio furniture. Almost immediately after getting in, the hummingbirds started circling.

• Love
Reactions: fly
Check the usual.

Gutter downspouts should have extensions on them.

Check the grading.

Or just buy a tarp and cover up the area outside where you think the water is getting in. Make sure it covers 6’ out from the house.

Do your gutters have at least 10 ft extensions on em?
the gutters are for sure at least part of the problem, we need to replace them but also the wood they're attached to is also fucked from the wets so we can't *just* replace the gutters without also dealing with that

the grading is absolutely nonsensical though - on the side where the water comes in/that is the major known issue, there... isn't any lmao. but on other spots, there is grading but it's not right, like there's a stretch along one side of the garage where half of it appropriately steers it toward the downspout, but the other half sends it the other way, which meets at one of the corners right next to the garage (it's a 3 car tandem, this corner is the inside corner of the L shape)

we're still paying off the windows we had to replace which has delayed taking the plunge on the gutters & ... soffits? I think is the right term? project, but now that this is the second year we're dealing with this basement bog situation, we're like "ah fuck we just have to do it I guess"

it doesn't happen every rain, but like once or twice a year we get hammered by a mega dump like we just did. we fared way better than that town in Iowa that got levelled, though we did spend a couple of hours in the unfinished basement, there were some smol tornadoes in the immediate area but we only had to deal with water.

we also had water pouring into the unfinished basement that night from the window well bc it dumped so hard/fast there was a couple of inches of water in it, we've since caulked it up so hopefully it won't come in as hard next time. in the unfinished basement, the ground at least IS appropriately graded so it guided the water toward the drain, but it wasn't draining bc the ground was too saturated so it was just pooling, for a while I was using a mop and spinny bucket trying to soak it up and then when it was safe enough to venture out of the basememt I went up and got one of the wet vacs.

some day, I'm gonna move somewhere warm and dry 😭