Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Ive never had a house with a basement , but to me those lower window sills are way too close to level with the ground outside them.
And just from the pic it looks like water could pile up in there.
That right here would worry me.
in the second pic you can kind of make out that they're at least not flush with the ground and I can confirm that when water has come in, it has not been flooded/pooled on the ground in that area to a level nearing the window, like the ground has been saturated but at least on that side of the house there's been no over-ground height to the water.

we did have that issue in the back though with the unfinished basement, the windows on that side are legitimately below ground level. it's a split level ranch, the right side of the house featured in the pics is the top floor and finished basement side, the left side is the kitchen/living room/"main floor" which is a half floor down from the top and a half floor up from the finished basement, and then the unfinished basement is below that, a half floor down from the unfinished and almost fully underground (the tippy top where the beams and pipes and such are is the only bit at/a smidge above ground level).

I joked with Jason that we could move closer to @jeh oh fuck me running it's my turn for the broken tags, help me Kiwi... we could move closer to everyone's favorite Yeti where it's mostly warmer and dryer but I don't think he's on board yet

in the second pic you can kind of make out that they're at least not flush with the ground and I can confirm that when water has come in, it has not been flooded/pooled on the ground in that area to a level nearing the window, like the ground has been saturated but at least on that side of the house there's been no over-ground height to the water.

we did have that issue in the back though with the unfinished basement, the windows on that side are legitimately below ground level. it's a split level ranch, the right side of the house featured in the pics is the top floor and finished basement side, the left side is the kitchen/living room/"main floor" which is a half floor down from the top and a half floor up from the finished basement, and then the unfinished basement is below that, a half floor down from the unfinished and almost fully underground (the tippy top where the beams and pipes and such are is the only bit at/a smidge above ground level).

I joked with Jason that we could move closer to @jeh oh fuck me running it's my turn for the broken tags, help me Kiwi... we could move closer to everyone's favorite Yeti where it's mostly warmer and dryer but I don't think he's on board yet

no one wants to move to new mexico

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum and august
no one wants to move to new mexico

true

You don’t have to be in New Mexico to be somewhere warm and dry. I’d def pick Arizona or southern Utah over New Mexico. Heck even someplace like Colorado it’s much drier just not warm.

I want warm, too, I never want to see snow again, but valid lol

I figured he'd never go for it, I was like "but you could play cars together!" but I guess already having a glossy boudoir-style poster of him in the garage is satisfying any dark urges for now :lol:

true

I want warm, too, I never want to see snow again, but valid lol

I figured he'd never go for it, I was like "but you could play cars together!" but I guess already having a glossy boudoir-style poster of him in the garage is satisfying any dark urges for now :lol:

Come to St. George, it’s warm here! Just have to ignore the fact that a 1300 sq foot home with no yard is going to be 400k.

Pull the carpet up? Sounds like it is already ruined.
we are planning to, but that room has been the one we've actually been using as a living room/media area so we've got a fuckton of shit to move and resituate before we can really tear in

we don't have the money right now to actually redo/refinish down there (we also don't have the money for the gutters etc. but we are obviously going to have to come up with something and start there bc it's useless to fix the floors if the water is just gonna keep coming in, also probably need money to unfuck whatever is allowing the water to get in even with gutters fixed, THEN can consider making our living room livable again 😭 ) but we do have some big honkin' area rugs a coworker gave me when she moved so last night we were like "ok, lets rip up any soft bits (carpet, pad, etc.) in that area and we can put an area rug over it in the short term, then we can pull it up when it rains and get a better look at what's going on" but we got started and shit is so fucked, there's mold in the carpet where it was under the baseboards, the little wood bits it gets tacked to fell apart bc moist, and now there are soft spots in the wall 😭

it's for sure not coming in through the window itself, here's a crop from the one where you can kinda see that there's at least a little distance between the ground and the window. there can obviously be a delay between water ending up on the ground and soaking in, especially a hard dump when shit's already saturated, but again there hasn't been any legit height to the water out there for it to be getting in through the actual window or the frame

Screenshot_20240529_074335.jpg

the lighter stone is just stuck on/facade/whatever and the bits behind it are wood/regular house afaik. I think the part behind the brick bits along the bottom is concrete/where the foundation starts, but I don't think the window/frame cuts into it, I think the window just happens to be where there is a crack and also happens to be a dump point for the fucked up gutters. we could very well have cracks in other spots we just don't know about bc it isn't getting the same volume of dump.

also the degree of nastiness we found when we started to pull things up makes me think it's been going on long enough that the previous owners had to have known something was amiss.

While time with a young kiddo is an even sparser resource than money sometimes, valve is right. Some labor here can probably a solve a good portion of the problem at very minor cost.

Then again, minor is relative. How much do ya'll have spare to try to solve this financially? 100 bucks? 250 bucks?