Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

So I just managed to almost lose an eye. A cutting wheel on my Dremel broke while I was using it. Thankfully I had wide safety glasses on. Fucked up the side of my nose, and then some bounced up at lightly hit my eyelid. A little blood, but I can see fine. FUCKING TERRIFYING.
Full face shield, if you got it, my broseph

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
So I just managed to almost lose an eye. A cutting wheel on my Dremel broke while I was using it. Thankfully I had wide safety glasses on. Fucked up the side of my nose, and then some bounced up at lightly hit my eyelid. A little blood, but I can see fine. FUCKING TERRIFYING.
did sort of the same thing once. cut-off wheel shattered and a piece was embedded in the cheap plastic safety glasses I was wearing right where it woulda gone into my eye
scary shit

did sort of the same thing once. cut-off wheel shattered and a piece was embedded in the cheap plastic safety glasses I was wearing right where it woulda gone into my eye
scary shit
I actually have a bruise on my eyelid right where my lashes are. I guess it bounced off my nose and into my eye. So. Fucking. Close.

UGH

goggles filmakers GIF

Probably gonna feel weird blinking for a few days.
Post a pic, I don't think I've ever seen someone get a bruise only on the eyelid.
It's smoothed and spread out a lot now. Now the majority of my eyelid is just red and puffy. But yeah, at first it was like a lump on your forehead when you bang it SUPER hard.

Get one of these, I refuse to use a dremel with a cutoff wheel without one.

I'm sure there's 3D printable ones too. Probably not as good as this one here, but it'll at least slow down cutting wheel shrapnel.

Get one of these, I refuse to use a dremel with a cutoff wheel without one.

I'm sure there's 3D printable ones too. Probably not as good as this one here, but it'll at least slow down cutting wheel shrapnel.
Fantastic. I actually didn't know those existed.

So the new house has Hardiplank siding. I want to attach some stuff to the sheathing underneath but am terrified to crack one drilling through it. Any of you fucks done it?

So the new house has Hardiplank siding. I want to attach some stuff to the sheathing underneath but am terrified to crack one drilling through it. Any of you fucks done it?
It's fiber-reinforced, you won't crack it.

Just use masonry bits to drill a pilot hole, don't use a hammer drill, and you'll be fine.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Fuckin' 4 year old Samsung fridge died again last night. It's poorly designed so the evap coil drain gets plugged easily, which then causes ice buildup and then it overwhelms the defrost heater and the whole thing cascades.

So a month or so ago I installed an auxillary defrost heater kit, that worked for a few weeks until the temperature sensor failed and stopped turning on the main or aux defrost at all, which created a block of ice that busted the evap cover, burned out the fan, and bent the coil itself.

So I'm replacing all that shit, because apparently every fridge on the market these days is crap, and replacing it wouldn't really improve the situation.

Fuckin' 4 year old Samsung fridge died again last night. It's poorly designed so the evap coil drain gets plugged easily, which then causes ice buildup and then it overwhelms the defrost heater and the whole thing cascades.

So a month or so ago I installed an auxillary defrost heater kit, that worked for a few weeks until the temperature sensor failed and stopped turning on the main or aux defrost at all, which created a block of ice that busted the evap cover, burned out the fan, and bent the coil itself.

So I'm replacing all that shit, because apparently every fridge on the market these days is crap, and replacing it wouldn't really improve the situation.

Gotta go old school and get one of these.

Lots of my family has worked in construction and they were never allowed on sites without proper protective gear. What shitty outfit did you work for that wanted to get sued into oblivion? Why do you always seem to work for the shysters?
Totally shitty outfit o_O