Ontopic Product Recommendations

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=55196307
$35 Walmart

This is so inexpensive you could toss in the garbage at the park you're camping at instead of packing it up into the bag thats always too small!
BUT - the smart move is getting a big rubbermaid storage container so it's easy to fold up and put in that instead.

Ozark Trail 13' x 9' x 72" Instant Cabin Tent, Sleeps 8 [or really, 2 adults and 2 kids comfortably]

7997879e-162f-4ac2-98c2-e0e875b7ae83_1.a990e31acd0ca1d11b4a23b606d9496f.jpeg

I use goal zero and have had great luck. I have multiple products. I have smaller panels that can do a phone or AAs. I have some of their solar lanterns. And larger boulder panels. I use the nomad to strap on my pack and charge the phone.

OK man....

A. Looks like really high quality durable stuff.

B. If I was alone and living off grid either by choice or by circumstance it might still be worth looking into.

C. Their smallest, least expensive panels (which would likely do all I want to do) are at the top end of what I'd be willing to pay for something like this (when they're on sale).

D. I'm looking at maybe a 3-day weekend with a couple 12-13 year old city kids here, not infiltrating Afghanistan.

Cool stuff though.

To give you an example of where I'm coming from, my "pack" is a medium ALICE rucksack that was new in the early 90's. I use a heavy duty construction site cleanup type trash bag as a waterproof liner, and my phone, wallet, fire-making goodies go in zip lock bags inside of that. I've never owned a GPS unit in my life, never turned on the location feature on my phone or had a big red arrow or computer voice tell me where to go. Old school road map gets me where I need to go on wheels. Topo map and compass gets me where I need to go on foot.

Not Luddite anti-tech or whatever, just see zero need for any of that stuff here. Hauling some extra batteries just gonna give me a little more exercise I could use. If I was in the high Rockies or Alaska or something I would likely think quite differently about it.

H3, you mentioned flashlight. The wife of a guy at the barn got him this. I few hard turns = about 5 bright minutes then it dims out (or recrank). It only lasted about 1.5 yrs then would only light for 45ish seconds. He used it in his unlit horse trailer tack area. It was perfect because he wasn't needing long term light. Just grabbing tack, or equip, & heading out. If there isn't long term light needed in the tent, this could work. Also for when you or the kids head out in the middle of the night to take a leak.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LED-windup-flashlight/116033953?

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer
OK man....

A. Looks like really high quality durable stuff.

B. If I was alone and living off grid either by choice or by circumstance it might still be worth looking into.

C. Their smallest, least expensive panels (which would likely do all I want to do) are at the top end of what I'd be willing to pay for something like this (when they're on sale).

D. I'm looking at maybe a 3-day weekend with a couple 12-13 year old city kids here, not infiltrating Afghanistan.

Cool stuff though.

To give you an example of where I'm coming from, my "pack" is a medium ALICE rucksack that was new in the early 90's. I use a heavy duty construction site cleanup type trash bag as a waterproof liner, and my phone, wallet, fire-making goodies go in zip lock bags inside of that. I've never owned a GPS unit in my life, never turned on the location feature on my phone or had a big red arrow or computer voice tell me where to go. Old school road map gets me where I need to go on wheels. Topo map and compass gets me where I need to go on foot.

Not Luddite anti-tech or whatever, just see zero need for any of that stuff here. Hauling some extra batteries just gonna give me a little more exercise I could use. If I was in the high Rockies or Alaska or something I would likely think quite differently about it.

If you only want it for phone you can try something like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077...ne+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=417lb5eTfUL&ref=plSrch

That's exactly it. I restrung it with D'Addario light weight wound strings, my friend set the action to the way she wanted to teach my daughter, and it's been perfectly serviceable ever since.
Thats it, the pickups actually sound better than decent :)

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes

I found these. $50. The Anker brand at least has good reviews everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B012YZXMZS

https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Charger-2-Port-efficiency-devices/dp/B017GQ7OEA

Goal Zero Nomad - $100.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/last-chance-gear/nomad-13-solar-panel/

What does it do the others don't?

More durable, rugged, etc. is good but really it just lays on your back. They all have some holes or loops to tie them down though the GZ has a couple more. If the ones I linked aren't waterproof there's ones in that price range that are.

I guess I just don't know what I'm not seeing. Never heard of GoalZero before. They got a lot of cool stuff, just most of it seems like more serious hardcore mountain climbing expedition type stuff than I'd probably ever make use of.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Amstel
More durable, rugged, etc. is good but really it just lays on your back. They all have some holes or loops to tie them down though the GZ has a couple more. If the ones I linked aren't waterproof there's ones in that price range that are.
I'd bet it's a durability thing. If it gets very regular use the GoalZero may be better. (I don't have experience with the examples) If you're just an occasional user you can probably get away with the lower end model. & to me, in this case, if you're an occasional user, the lower end model may be a better choice because in a few yrs batteries will be bigger, and the next $49 charger will be better too if you need a new one down the road.

Last, how long are you actually going to be hiking with a pack? If it's 3hrs, that leaves a lot of the day you're stationary to pull the charger out, leave it sitting still, charging, with very little wear&tear.

I'd bet it's a durability thing. If it gets very regular use the GoalZero may be better. (I don't have experience with the examples) If you're just an occasional user you can probably get away with the lower end model. & to me, in this case, if you're an occasional user, the lower end model may be a better choice because in a few yrs batteries will be bigger, and the next $49 charger will be better too if you need a new one down the road.

Last, how long are you actually going to be hiking with a pack? If it's 3hrs, that leaves a lot of the day you're stationary to pull the charger out, leave it sitting still, charging, with very little wear&tear.

That's my thinking, occasional use.

Not hiking constantly from dawn til dusk, but out and about for the better part of the daylight hours. Somewhat leisurely. Has to be fun for them too, not just work. We'll stop here and there to check out some critter den or rock formation or whatever. Try to figure out why the birds suddenly went quiet or took off. It's usually because we're there making noise but things like mountain lions and chupacabras and stuff make for better stories.

Durability.......these guys are 12 and 13 and when they're with me I let them be boys. Shit is gonna get broke no matter how durable you make it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
You can build your own Goal Zero type stuff like the battery pack way cheaper.

Use a cheap cooler, AGM style battery from a bulk store like Costco, and a Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger.

If you want to charge it with solar, a simple $20 charge controller and a solar panel will do the trick.

I've seen the diy solar charger stuff too while looking at all this. I can solder and follow directions. Though 35-40, maybe 50 bucks ain't too bad to just pick up something that's already built and works.