ITT Recipe Exchange

theacoustician said:
I kept thinking ... yes, we call cake made of meat meatloaf.

Then I read the recipe and its ... meatloaf.

Essentially. At first I was really grossed out though when I saw the slice cut out, cause I realised it was meatloaf but still thought that it was really icing on the outside. Then I figured out it was mashed taters. :fly:

I just picked up an AWESOME cookbook from my Mom's house today. It's supposed to be all low calorie meal ideas but they LOOK excellant! I'm going to make a chicken dish tongiht so if it's good, I'll post it tomorrow. I can't yet decide which to cook yet.

I am bumping this thread, because I am new and I want to add some receipes and find out if this book was good. If it is good, what is the name of it?

My latest creation:

Tequila Lime Chicken

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon tequila
6 cloves garlic (minced/pressed .....whatever)
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
Juice of 1 lime

Place all ingredients in a ziplock bag ( I have also used a large plastic container with a lid that has enough room for shaking)
Mix it up/Shake it up
Let marinade for 1/2 hour. (The longer you marinade the more the red pepper flavor and heat takes over)

Bake, grill or fry your chicken till done.

This is really good with roasted veggies and yellow rice.

Stuffed Camel

1 whole camel, medium size
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium size
60 eggs
12 kilos rice
2 kilos pine nuts
2 kilos almonds
1 kilo pistachio nuts
110 gallons water
5 pounds black pepper
Salt to taste

Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken. Boil until tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves friendly crowd of 80-100.

I am bumping this thread, because I am new and I want to add some receipes and find out if this book was good. If it is good, what is the name of it?

My latest creation:

Tequila Lime Chicken

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon tequila
6 cloves garlic (minced/pressed .....whatever)
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
Juice of 1 lime

Place all ingredients in a ziplock bag ( I have also used a large plastic container with a lid that has enough room for shaking)
Mix it up/Shake it up
Let marinade for 1/2 hour. (The longer you marinade the more the red pepper flavor and heat takes over)

Bake, grill or fry your chicken till done.

This is really good with roasted veggies and yellow rice.

I will find out and post tonight. We should make this thread sticky!

Sounds excellent; we will have to try that one for sure.

Stuffed Camel

1 whole camel, medium size
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium size
60 eggs
12 kilos rice
2 kilos pine nuts
2 kilos almonds
1 kilo pistachio nuts
110 gallons water
5 pounds black pepper
Salt to taste

Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken. Boil until tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves friendly crowd of 80-100.

This is best served on Wednesday...

I know this great recipe for smoked pork butt ...

what were you spraying on your meat while it was smoking and what was its purpose? I saw you with the spray bottle in one pic. Usually I just get the grill going to smoking temp and all I do past that is add coals and wood chunks as necessary.

what were you spraying on your meat while it was smoking and what was its purpose? I saw you with the spray bottle in one pic. Usually I just get the grill going to smoking temp and all I do past that is add coals and wood chunks as necessary.

BBQ mop. Mostly oil and apple cider vinegar. You need to keep the meat just moist enough so the bark doesn't get crusty. Once that happens, the dry carbon acts like a wick to pull the juice from inside the pork. Vinegar also dissolves creocote that may have condensed on the meat and allows it to drip off. You only spray it about once every 45 - 60 minutes. Overdoing it will fuck up you grill temp with the constant opening and closing.

BBQ mop. Mostly oil and apple cider vinegar. You need to keep the meat just moist enough so the bark doesn't get crusty. Once that happens, the dry carbon acts like a wick to pull the juice from inside the pork. Vinegar also dissolves creocote that may have condensed on the meat and allows it to drip off. You only spray it about once every 45 - 60 minutes. Overdoing it will fuck up you grill temp with the constant opening and closing.

Roger that, I will try this out next time.

I will probably be smoking a butt in 2 weeks. Any particular ratio of oil/vinegar or just a standard salad dressing mix?

Manicotti ala Spange

1 Box of Manicotti pasta (I prefer Barilla)
1 16 oz container of ricotta (none of that lowfat crap)
3 cups of shredded mozarella
1 cup of grated parmasean cheese
2 eggs
1 small package of frozen chopped spinach (optional)
1 lb of ground beef (optional)
2 26oz jars of your favorite pasta sauce (make your own or buy what is on sale, but don't use Ragu. It sucks.)

Preheat oven to 350ºF

Get a big glass dish (14x17) and grease the bottom and sides. Put your manicotti in some boiling water and cook using directions on box. While it's boiling, brown your ground beef. Drain beef and rinse with cold water. (this will take out a TON of grease) Set aside. Do the same with the manicotti. If you don't, the pasta will get mushy and stick together.

Defrost your spinach and combine ricotta, 2 cups of mozzarella, parmasean cheese, eggs and beef. At this point, I add some black pepper and salt. Not much. If you don't know how much to add at this point, don't add it. You can mix this with a spoon or some fancy mixer, but I've found that using your hands works quite well. Let this rest for 10-15 minutes. (Don't know why this makes it better, but it just does).

Get your big, greasy dish and pour 1 jar of sauce in the bottom of the dish.

Now, this is the tricky part. You're gonna try to get the mixture in to the pasta. Now, you may already be well versed in shooving meaty cheese stuff in to a tiny hole, but this is a different situation. It is a pain to get the mixture in the pasta without tears. In fact, I have never been able to do it. So, I start from the begging with tearing. Split the pasta down the side with your finger and pack on some of the meaty cheese mixture. Wrap the pasta back around the stuffing and lay in the pan. Repeat till all pasta is used.

Pour the second jar of sauce over the stuffed manicotti. Cover all of this with the remaining cup of mozarella. I always add more cheese than this, but my colon can handle it.

Cover with aluminum foil and put it in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes @ 350. Take the aluminum off for the last 5 minutes to get the top nice and brown.

Take it out and let it rest for at least 10 mins. Seriously, don't skip this part. If you do, it won't stay together.

Dig in, bitches. It's yummylicious!

edit:
pics from a previous baking.

260456bbb8e1058c.jpg

260456bbb8e120e3.jpg

260456bbb8e13c3a.jpg

260456bbb8e15791.jpg

260456bbb8e172e7.jpg

260456bbb8e18e3e.jpg

260456bbb8e1a995.jpg

260456bbb8e1c4eb.jpg

260456bbc47b9ca1.jpg

Last edited:
Request:

I am in need of a good vinegar based coleslaw recipe. Anyone out there have anything?

Just to contribute, the one I use that is mayo based is as follows, and it is pretty good as a side.

Ingredients:
* 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix
* 2 tablespoons minced onion
* 1/3 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup buttermilk
* 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
* 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions:
1. Combine the coleslaw and onion in a large bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice; mix until smooth. Pour mixture over the coleslaw and onion; stir well and chill for at least 1 hour.