How old is too old to have babby?

The stats my doctor gave me were different. They told me women over 35 have a 1 in 400 chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome. Also, they informed me there are things you can do to better those odds. They are simple things like taking prenatal vitamins and eating right and being at a healthy weight prior to conceiving and working with your doctor prior to conceiving to address any health concerns you may have. Doing those things can make your odds a lot better. They say one of the reasons the risks are so much higher is because in the past, women over the age of 35 were not planning to have children and conceived by accident and weren't doing things in the early months of pregnancy to take care of themselves. While older eggs being chromosomally (I made this word up) confused, there's no conclusive research about any of it.

I think it's a terrible conversation because of judgmental and self righteous people who like to tell you that what you are doing is wrong. I think the decision to have a baby should be in between a couple and possibly their healthcare provider. Then again, a lot of people told me how risky it would be for me to get pregnant and carry a baby and how there was no way to know what would happen to the baby, but I now have a healthy, happy little toddler causing chaos in my house. You never know.
Werd.

The stats my doctor gave me were different. They told me women over 35 have a 1 in 400 chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome. Also, they informed me there are things you can do to better those odds. They are simple things like taking prenatal vitamins and eating right and being at a healthy weight prior to conceiving and working with your doctor prior to conceiving to address any health concerns you may have. Doing those things can make your odds a lot better. They say one of the reasons the risks are so much higher is because in the past, women over the age of 35 were not planning to have children and conceived by accident and weren't doing things in the early months of pregnancy to take care of themselves. While older eggs being chromosomally (I made this word up) confused, there's no conclusive research about any of it.

I think it's a terrible conversation because of judgmental and self righteous people who like to tell you that what you are doing is wrong. I think the decision to have a baby should be in between a couple and possibly their healthcare provider. Then again, a lot of people told me how risky it would be for me to get pregnant and carry a baby and how there was no way to know what would happen to the baby, but I now have a healthy, happy little toddler causing chaos in my house. You never know.
I'm getting different figures on multiple websites, hell NIH.gov says that the instance of Down's is 1 in 691 births.

Any conversation you have about a personal matter opens yourself up for hearing from judgmental and self righteous people. You ignore those people. If you don't have the conversation then you're relying on only the sources of information that you can come up with. By talking to your doctors you're having that conversation.
It doesn't have to be a horrible conversation.

I'm getting different figures on multiple websites, hell NIH.gov says that the instance of Down's is 1 in 691 births.

Any conversation you have about a personal matter opens yourself up for hearing from judgmental and self righteous people. You ignore those people. If you don't have the conversation then you're relying on only the sources of information that you can come up with. By talking to your doctors you're having that conversation.
It doesn't have to be a horrible conversation.

He gave you the Canadian numbers. So 400 Canada equals 691 US.

Me personally, I think 35-40 is a good age limit. I find it a little weird that my mom is collecting SS now and is a bit older than all of my friends' parents. But I'm not judging other people's decision. You do what you feel is right. I can certainly understand those who want to put off having a child until later in life.

1) How is it a terrible conversation? It's a realistic conversation. You had kids above the age my gf and many of her coworkers will go, but that's not a bad thing, that's mainly because they work with kids with developmental disorders and don't want to have to do that for life.
2) The risk for birth defects is not a "little amount" over 35, above 40 it is huge jump.

What's wrong with having a kid who has Down's Syndrome anyway? :confused: I know plenty of happy parents who have Down's Syndrome children and they're happy as hell with it. Just because your kid is different doesn't mean it's wrong to have them.

Re: How old is too old to have a baby?

What's wrong with having a kid who has Down's Syndrome anyway? :confused: I know plenty of happy parents who have Down's Syndrome children and they're happy as hell with it. Just because your kid is different doesn't mean it's wrong to have them.

Where did I say something was wrong with it?
My gf works with special needs kids all day, by far her favorites are those with Downs. They are, almost universally, happy, polite, well adjusted children who can be the most stubborn people you will meet.
That does not mean she wants a child with special needs at home.

Where did I say something was wrong with it?
My gf works with special needs kids all day, by far her favorites are those with Downs. They are, almost universally, happy, polite, well adjusted children who can be the most stubborn people you will meet.
That does not mean she wants a child with special needs at home.

Just the way people are going on about 'the risk' of having a child with Down's Syndrome like it would be the worst possible fate to happen.

Re: How old is too old to have a baby?

Just the way people are going on about 'the risk' of having a child with Down's Syndrome like it would be the worst possible fate to happen.

Not the worst, drama queen, but it would definitely suck.