How old is too old to have babby?

Re: How old is too old to have a baby?

Technically you are correct, the best kind of correct.
It's still fucking scary though. I've run into people my age (early 30's) who have no clue. It gets worse the younger they are, nobody seems to have basic skills anymore. Two of the chicks that live in my building are teachers and they're in the running for two dumbest people I've ever met.

What's wrong with having a kid who has Down's Syndrome anyway? :confused: I know plenty of happy parents who have Down's Syndrome children and they're happy as hell with it. Just because your kid is different doesn't mean it's wrong to have them.

I hear you and hell I work with them daily but as a parent I would not want that burden nor would I want those experiences instead of the ones I have with my normally functioning children

if I had, I would love him/her be happy and develop a unique relationship for sure, but as an honest parent I would not want the situation to begin with

It's still fucking scary though. I've run into people my age (early 30's) who have no clue. It gets worse the younger they are, nobody seems to have basic skills anymore. Two of the chicks that live in my building are teachers and they're in the running for two dumbest people I've ever met.

where does duke fall in this running? :D

I hear you and hell I work with them daily but as a parent I would not want that burden nor would I want those experiences instead of the ones I have with my normally functioning children

if I had, I would love him/her be happy and develop a unique relationship for sure, but as an honest parent I would not want the situation to begin with

I think it depends on what you want out of your kids. Yes you would have to adjust your expectations, maybe it's easier here with all the caring and social help we get from the g man, but I imagine it would be quite nice for a very nurturing couple to have a kid that needed care like that. My ex's dad had a son with Downs and they had to arrange their life around him etc but they wouldn't change him and they enjoyed his company very much. It's probably one of those situation that initially you don't want, like you say, but when it happens you don't mind at all because of the love andb lah blah blah

Last edited:

I think it depends on what you want out of your kids. Yes you would have to adjust your expectations, maybe it's easier here with all the caring and social help we get from the g man, but I imagine it would be quite nice for a very nurturing couple to have a kid that needed care like that.
This is almost offensive.

I think it depends on what you want out of your kids. Yes you would have to adjust your expectations, maybe it's easier here with all the caring and social help we get from the g man, but I imagine it would be quite nice for a very nurturing couple to have a kid that needed care like that. My ex's dad had a son with Downs and they had to arrange their life around him etc but they wouldn't change him and they enjoyed his company very much. It's probably one of those situation that initially you don't want, like you say, but when it happens you don't mind at all because of the love andb lah blah blah

And I bet if you asked them if they had a choice (meaning he had not been born with Downs or he was born with Downs) they'd pick normal every time. You love you child regardless, but you still want to have it a little easy.

probably true but hard not to think about it as a parent and honestly still a fear

This is almost offensive.

As offensive as telling people they shouldn't have kids 'incase they have Downs'? :rolleyes:

It's honest, not offensive. If you are expected an average child (normal mental functioning) and have a Down's syndrome baby your expectations will have to change. You can't reasonably expect a child with Down's syndrome to move out, drive aa car, go to college, have kids etc. etc. It's not how many parents plan out their kids lives so of course things change.

And I bet if you asked them if they had a choice (meaning he had not been born with Downs or he was born with Downs) they'd pick normal every time. You love you child regardless, but you still want to have it a little easy.

I honestly don't think the parents I know would pick 'normal' to be honest. They love their kids for what they are, they also have 'normal' kids so they know the difference and they love them in different ways. I can't imagine for one second that at least 2 of the couples I know with Down's syndrome children would have picked it another way if they could, they love their kids just as they are. And while the rest of the kids are leaving the nest they still have one at home with them.

I think it's that parenting is a huge challenge and given the choice prior to conception people probably wouldn't choose a child with Downs. Most parents want their children to have a wonderful life and want them to have every opportunity possible. Downs takes away some options and it probably hurts those parents to have to tell their kids what they can't do more than you know. Living with any sort of a disability presents problems and no parent wants to see their child face those challenges at all.

I honestly don't think the parents I know would pick 'normal' to be honest. They love their kids for what they are, they also have 'normal' kids so they know the difference and they love them in different ways. I can't imagine for one second that at least 2 of the couples I know with Down's syndrome children would have picked it another way if they could, they love their kids just as they are. And while the rest of the kids are leaving the nest they still have one at home with them.

You misunderstood. I'm not asking if they would love one over the other.

I'm saying at the point of conception, someone comes up to you and says, "Press this button to have a child with no mental or physical deficiencies, or press this button to give your kid Down's syndrome. There is no option to leave it random, you must pick a button"

No one would push the button for Down's

You misunderstood. I'm not asking if they would love one over the other.

I'm saying at the point of conception, someone comes up to you and says, "Press this button to have a child with no mental or physical deficiencies, or press this button to give your kid Down's syndrome. There is no option to leave it random, you must pick a button"

No one would push the button for Down's

Oh I see what you mean, I thought you meant would they have chose to change them now they have them. :)

As offensive as telling people they shouldn't have kids 'incase they have Downs'? :rolleyes:

It's honest, not offensive. If you are expected an average child (normal mental functioning) and have a Down's syndrome baby your expectations will have to change. You can't reasonably expect a child with Down's syndrome to move out, drive aa car, go to college, have kids etc. etc. It's not how many parents plan out their kids lives so of course things change.

I bet you cant tell ne where I said that.
Here's a hint, its because I didnt.

If people were happy with their children being born with learning disabilities no one would be prescribed prenatal vitamins.
If people were happy with their special needs children behaving like special needs children (for example, such as autistic kids stimming out and being anti-social) then my gf would not have a job; instead she is one of the highest paid, non-lawyer, 27 year olds I know.

Parents generally love their children no matter what, and those that have kids with disabilities generally love those kids more than their normal kids just because of a biological need to protect and encourage them to reach past their limit...

But to say that those parents want their kids to be disabled, as you seem to be doing in your previous post, would get you yelled at by the parents of several children I have met.

I bet you cant tell ne where I said that.
Here's a hint, its because I didnt.

If people were happy with their children being born with learning disabilities no one would be prescribed prenatal vitamins.
If people were happy with their special needs children behaving like special needs children (for example, such as autistic kids stimming out and being anti-social) then my gf would not have a job; instead she is one of the highest paid, non-lawyer, 27 year olds I know.

Parents generally love their children no matter what, and those that have kids with disabilities generally love those kids more than their normal kids just because of a biological need to protect and encourage them to reach past their limit...

But to say that those parents want their kids to be disabled, as you seem to be doing in your previous post, would get you yelled at by the parents of several children I have met.

I think parents would yell at you for saying 'dont have kids there's a 1 in 400 chance that the WORST THING EVER will happen'.

I dont like it when nme or sarcasmo or duke (less so duke) agrees with me :( It undermines my arguments