Forum Fireside Chat

theac said:
BTW - this is a constructive conversation thread. If it becomes a personal attack thread, you'll be finding yourself in the "banned for a month thread".
There is a fine line between a personal attack and someone not liking another and letting them in on it. It’s important and a method to avoid a static thread as aforementioned. Now, you shouldn’t troll, but if you think that someone is being an idiot, ignorant, or just plain out of line, let them know it. Let them know it right in the thread.

Now, saying that, it is also very important that I believe that trolling is not good at all. Just because that member has bothered you in the past shouldn’t let you keep shitting all over that person. Let them know when they are doing something that you don’t like, and why you don’t like it. Speak your mind, and say why you believe it. They then have two options; 1) they can ignore you, or 2) they can start a conversation with you explaining that they were either wrong for acting that way or explaining why they believe the things that they do. It’s all about keeping threads a flowing moving creature.

Now for some specific examples.

edit your post or find yourself banned for a month
I really don’t like the idea of having to edit your posts or an admin editing your posts. Primarily due to the reasons that I’ve listed above. Second, it creates a stifling environment where one has to be so paranoid about what is said that they are unable to speak their mind. There also needs to be a level of respect, but don’t let respect bring the mindset that one is not allowed to confront another on what they have posted.

Editing posts also removes it and takes away an opportunity for discussion and a revelation of a particular poster. At the same time it takes away any opportunity for a new member to learn from others or even their own mistakes. There is nothing that bothers me more than being censored by someone.

Moving on to keeping this thread on topic. I agree 100% that spam needs to be eliminated as much as possible. It is annoying and isn’t nessary. I don’t come here daily, but when I do I’ve set aside time to actually read. I don’t want shitty posts. But at the same time, there needs to be a level of consistency.
theac said:
Galen said:
I cant read the thread before I post
I'm going to give you the same warning. Edit it or find a new home for a month.
This guy is being a smart ass, it’s spam, but it doesn’t seem like it’s a 1 month bannable offense. Also, what about this?
KNYTE said:
How the hell is that any better? It’s just as annoying.

In conclusion I’m talking here about more ways to open up threads to be a flowing environment rather than a static one. Primarily by confronting people head on while reaming respectful. If someone finds it offensive, apologize, explain why you didn’t, and move on. Secondarily, there needs to be consistency if a harsh method of punishment for spam posts is to be implemented.

i have one other comment then i'll go back to my usual annoying self.

while the flymart is not open at the moment, my guess is that it will return. people were given marklar to purchase things. they earned the marklar by posting, reading threads, writing stories and so on. it encouraged people to participate and contribute to the forum. if something that was made available on the flymart is not appropriate for forum members, remove it, dont make it available. dont sell it then take it away on an individual basis because someone gets their panties in a bunch with not even a word. that sort of behavior really doesnt motivate one to participate.

edit> or if the purchases can be removed on an individual basis without explanation or refund, make your rules for usage.

Last edited:
djduquet said:
http://uselessforums.com/showthread.php?t=4333
For example, I enjoyed being exposed to that. But our wonderful admin shat on it right away. It was sharing something with the community and it got some good posts. I didn't find my post to be nsfw, but whatever.

No-one shat on your post, it was edited because it was NSFW - titties, cartoon or otherwise are not something most people would want their co-workers or bosses seeing on their screens.

We also have some people on the forum who would rather not see that type of thing at all, and as thrawn and others said earlier it's about RESPECT. No-one is saying you shouldn't post things like that, merely respecting others enough to put a little thought and effort in.

You weren't reprimanded or punished, the post was merely edited to link the image instead of posting it inline.

It's something that pretty much everyone accidentally does, and it's not a big deal - it just warrants correcting when discovered.

The thread continued on after that.

You need to SERIOUSLY lighten up about things, you're only a target if you make yourself one. There is no ill will from this end, yet you continue to write negative comments about the place with about half of your posts.

So sit down, crack open some fine cask ale, and relax. :D

shawndavid said:
I think you guys are a bunch of bitches when it comes to this shit.
[/QUOTE]
Well it's a good thing it's not a popularity contest.

shawndavid said:
This is for entertainment purposes. Some people are funny to some people while others are not.
Completely agree, that's one of the things I like about this place.

shawndavid said:
The rules are bent when it's convenient for certain individuals.
Examples would be EXTREMELY helpful for education purposes, I'm sure I'm guilty of it too. Seriously.

shawndavid said:
I enjoy being on here with the exception of the fact that people seem to want to govern things that are neither socially irresponsible nor offensive. I agree with moderation as it pertains to the act of, but when 'authority' [cough] is overutilized it just appears, to me at least, that you guys have some control issues.
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here.

shawndavid said:
Whatever...this is your fucking Eden. This is where you tell people how to behave. Maybe a couple of you should run for office.
Constructive criticism would be more helpful than this

shawndavid said:
Ban me, suspend me, lock my posts if you will, but have a little consideration for the fact that maybe some of the threads on here lack 'content' to anyone not interested in that particular topic or lack thereof.
There's lots of threads that don't interest lots of people, that's not an issue for anyone I think - what exactly are you trying to get at here?

shawndavid said:
If you'd loosen your pants a little you might have fun.
At the moment, it seems like you could use a couple beers to relax :p I think you think I take things more seriously than I do.

Drool-Boy said:
Wow, too much bitching.
And it seems to be concentrating from just a few orifices.
FYI theres like eighty ho-jillion forams on the world wide webs.

If I ever have a daughter I'm going to name her Ho-Jillian.

Thorn Bird said:
there is an outstanding variety of minds here, and i think we need to remember that. just because we're not agreeing on one exact way doesn't mean most don't have a good point somewhere along the line.
Heck yeah, one of the great things about this place IMO, is that there have been quite a few topics that people have disagreed on and debated without getting nasty - all on their own, there REALLY aren't too many problems

I'm repeating myself :p

ChikkenNoodul said:
I had no idea there would be so many complaints :eek:

Well, some of them aren't complaints, they are trying to figure out what exactly others are complaining about.

Look, I like it here. I don't want anyone telling me what I can and cannot say. I mean, I understand the whole respect thing, but beyond that if anyone is going to "pull me aside" and censor EVERYTHING I have to say....well, I just don't think I'd stick around for that. Other than that, I dont see what the problem is. If you don't like a thread, ignore it. I love reading senseless things and joking with you all, please don't take that away from me.....'cause then I'd have to work.

I like it here. I like the people, the things that are posted (for the most part), and the interactions that most of us have.

I don't think any of the rules are overly strict or difficult to follow, nor do I think people are given breaks because of their UID/friend associations. If anything there have been newer people who have posted questionable content, or made stands against the admins, who have been given more breaks than people who have been around a while and done it. If you think that theac (or any admin/mod for that matter) is giving you a hard time simply because you're new you should look into how many times he's nailed Sarcasmo for his tomfoolery, and threatened to do bad things to me because of lack of content or stupid posts.

I don't make many threads because (to be perfectly honest) I don't think most of the ideas I have are "content worthy". Is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. I'm sparing people from waste of bandwith by thinking before I hit the "New Thread" button.

Think/search before you post, it's not all that terrible or difficult.

My only complaint is that the people doing the complaining are only complaining about complaints when in fact they should be complaining about the complaints being complained about by the complainants.

FlamingGlory said:
-I hate meet threads, but you never see me complain because, well it would just be impolite. The exclusion factor is high for the further flung posters, and quite clique but such is life.

How else do you expect those that do live within meeting distance to all get together? Don't you think thats rather selfish?

FlamingGlory said:
-undersireable members, you know who I'm talking about

No, I don't. Maybe those "undesireable members" should be asked to leave; hell, maybe you ought to post who here you think is undesirable and save me the suspense?

Sarcasmo said:
My only complaint is that the people doing the complaining are only complaining about complaints when in fact they should be complaining about the complaints being complained about by the complainants.

Your doing a pretty good job with that.

My question is 'Whose complaining' and 'Whose the complaint against' ? I need details!

gottoys? said:
Your doing a pretty good job with that.

My question is 'Whose complaining' and 'Whose the complaint against' ? I need details!

All I know is that in general people seem to dislike Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. So I think we should ban them.

thrawn said:
i said along time ago at another place, should only need one rule. respect everyone else. other than that, quite yer bitchin. if you dont like a thread, dont read it and dont post about how much it sucks. if you dont like someone, i dont care and would rather not read about it everytime they post. ignore lists are for pussies.

so, lemme splain. wait, no time for that, lemme summup. FUCK YOU DROOL.

Well said. Except for the "Fuck you" part. :lol:

fly said:
I have not run this across theac, but I'd like to get a hack in where you never see threads from someone on your ignore list. That way, you never have to deal with them. I think that could solve a lot of our problems.

While we are on the subject of ignore lists... why in the hell would someone tell you that you are on theirs, continue to read your threads and posts, and comment on them negatively?

Dude... If you see something posted by someone you find "undesireable" and find it necessary to add them to your gay-ass list, DONT READ IT.

Grow up.

Candy said:
While we are on the subject of ignore lists... why in the hell would someone tell you that you are on theirs, continue to read your threads and posts, and comment on them negatively?

Dude... If you see something posted by someone you find "undesireable" and find it necessary to add them to your gay-ass list, DONT READ IT.

Grow up.
That won't be a problem when they can't see threads made by someone on their ignore list. And trolling someone else's threads shouldn't be tolerated, imho...