Forum Fireside Chat

I think you guys are a bunch of bitches when it comes to this shit.

This is for entertainment purposes. Some people are funny to some people while others are not.

The rules are bent when it's convenient for certain individuals.

I enjoy being on here with the exception of the fact that people seem to want to govern things that are neither socially irresponsible nor offensive. I agree with moderation as it pertains to the act of, but when 'authority' [cough] is overutilized it just appears, to me at least, that you guys have some control issues.

Whatever...this is your fucking Eden. This is where you tell people how to behave. Maybe a couple of you should run for office.

Ban me, suspend me, lock my posts if you will, but have a little consideration for the fact that maybe some of the threads on here lack 'content' to anyone not interested in that particular topic or lack thereof.

If you'd loosen your pants a little you might have fun.

F33nX said:
basically i consider any thread with content a thread that meets the following criteria in my mind:

1. is it worth posting something in this thread?
2. glancing at most of the responses, are they mostly one-liners, spam, completely off-topic, or is the last post in the thread actually still talking about the subject?
3. is this person known for making quality threads or shit threads? (no this isn't discriminatory, we used to have this crazy thing called rep here which no one ever used properly).

Just about sums it up right there. Otherwise I move on and look at another thread...

shawndavid, i think you've got some solid points...
and i think the current issue is trying to prevent a loss of quality here, like what i guess happened on that other forum. i wasn't part of that world, so i have no idea what it was like, but i do respect the fact that there's a goal around here to keep and maintain a certain amount of quality. i see what's going on now as a kind of maintenance check...let's make sure we all see what quality should be here and keep it going. i don't think anyone wants to lose the fun here...i certainly don't, and i like the comparison to cheers. you just don't want to lose the fine line between quality and drainage.

i said along time ago at another place, should only need one rule. respect everyone else. other than that, quite yer bitchin. if you dont like a thread, dont read it and dont post about how much it sucks. if you dont like someone, i dont care and would rather not read about it everytime they post. ignore lists are for pussies.

so, lemme splain. wait, no time for that, lemme summup. FUCK YOU DROOL.

thrawn said:
i said along time ago at another place, should only need one rule. respect everyone else. other than that, quite yer bitchin. if you dont like a thread, dont read it and dont post about how much it sucks. if you dont like someone, i dont care and would rather not read about it everytime they post. ignore lists are for pussies.

so, lemme splain. wait, no time for that, lemme summup. FUCK YOU DROOL.

I BETTER EDIT THAT QUICK

EDIT> FUCK YOU IN THE EAR STOOL-BOY

Last edited:
Did Fly say he can or cannot 'rate\rank' a thread? We 'newbies' would have a better idea if our threads are acceptable content if we could see how all the threads measure up for a few weeks.

Personnally I am just trying figure out what most MEMBERS find as thread material. Seems more like a tangent thing to me. Sometimes the thread could be about nothing and it goes off of a tangent somewhere else totally. Almost seems like the last few people posting have to say something interesting enough for someone to comment on it and keep it going.

Does anyone else see it like this?

Personnally I like it when I learn something - and not talking about religious or political beliefs. But general knowledge like exposure to new words, wines, foods, books, movies, places, music, good advice.

F33nX said:
why are you so bent on having every thread be about a world event… i think threads that just copy and paste from cnn or other news/propaganda sources are boring unless they turn around and honestly facilitate discussion.
something like "hey look at this neat thing (software, game, puzzle, website, thing you're thinking about buying, etc) i found.
I believe that in any forum community these type of threads are important for 2 simple reasons: 1) it lets’ people know what’s going on because not everyone lives in the same area or catches all the news and 2) when someone posts a link we know that it’s to be discussed, you don’t really have to say that.
http://uselessforums.com/showthread.php?t=4333
For example, I enjoyed being exposed to that. But our wonderful admin shat on it right away. It was sharing something with the community and it got some good posts. I didn't find my post to be nsfw, but whatever.

F33nX said:
something like "what do you guys think about x" and not "x happened. fin."
As I said above, when someone posts a link, we know to discuss it you shouldn’t post a link and say ‘discuss’ or ‘what do you guys think?’ The point is that if someone reads an article and it evokes a passion in them, they will respond. It’s redundant to add that extra sentence or two to make it seem like it has ‘content’ when it already does.

F33nX said:
something like "i have a question and need an anonymous opinion to help make up my mind/reaffirm
Dead on bro. It’s this type of thread that people can get to know one another on while helping some one else who needs it.
F33nX said:
not stupid/crazy and not "NEWSFLASH i got drunk tonight and cleaned my apartment", "omg hey (insert user name) i didn't call you last night sorry", or "here are random pics of me! /camwhore"
I agree. Especially the one that I’ve accented. There are a lot of these type of threads here and this is what I have to say on the subject: Making a thread that deals with cliques does NOT help bring in new members. They can’t jump into those threads and find anything of interest and it does not facilitate a larger community feeling. Those type of threads belong in either PM or IM convos, but not as a thread. If anyone expects this place to expand beyond just a few already good friends then these type of threads need to be reduced dramatically.

It’s also important to point out that a thread should evolve. Most threads that are strickly forced to stay on target become boring and repetitive very quickly. I like a forum where a thread will evolve. It starts out on a topic, but moves into different areas as the thread progresses. When the thread remains static it feels as if it a conversation where others are not listening to one another but just waiting for their moment to talk and skipping all the other posts. Also, if the poster wants to revert back to the original topic, they may post something of new relevance upon it if it has not been said.

A forum based community must remain flowing and open. It must be specific, but not locked to a remote few, meaning it must be anonymous enough for a new member to jump in and start contributing to the content. In conclusion my point is that threads must be flowing and not static. When an environment of static threads is created, there is no creativity and no incentive to become a useful, long-term, productive member.

Last edited by a moderator: