cat vs dog

I'm glad you aren't my vet. It may just be "an animal" to you .. but they are family members to the people who own them.

Snowball 1 may look like snowball 2 to you .. but to the owner there is NEVER a replacement.

That'd be like telling a mother who's kid just died that .. she should suck it up and just have another one.

Pets are like children to most people who own them. And they'd do most anything to keep them with them .. just like we do with sick people.

Pets are like children to people that don't have real children.

edit: 5 grand in 5 years... what breed of dog do you have exactly?

It's just an animal. You'll get to know and love snowball 2 just as much as you knew and loved snowball 1.

What REALLY gets me is when people drop money into a 14 year old dog that has a 15 year life expectancy anyways. Or they get a BRAND NEW DOG and immediatly have to put money into him/her. Unless it's a young dog that you've had a few years, then it's not just money. It's just stupid.

Trying to save an animal from old age is one thing. Our cat Steve (at 2 years) had legs perthes disease last year and it cost us $700 so he could jump again. I wouldn't have thought twice if it cost twice as much or more. I couldn't see not having him around.

Actually I couldn't see myself putting money on a pedistool and my loved pet below it. That makes for a horrible human being.

It's just fucking money. There are more important things in life.

Maybe my issue is I get all my vet work done for free... as well as pills/shots/science diet food/etc.

I've seen alot of people spend ridiculous amounts of money on pets that are a lost cause and I'm always completely confused by it.

On the flip side, I've also seen alot of pets that could've been saved but the owners were to cheap to do it and opted for the $50 blue shot of death instead.

If your opinion is bias on the spending of money on a pet .. then you really shouldn't be voicing an opinion on how it urks you for people to spend such money then. imo

Pets are like children to people that don't have real children.

edit: 5 grand in 5 years... what breed of dog do you have exactly?

That's totally untrue. I have a child, and I still treat my pets that way. I chose to have them .. it is my responsibility to take care of them to the best of my ability.

I have a red dobie. She's the last of my line. I use to breed them. But thanks to this dog being talked about in this thread .. she can't have pups anymore because he dug into her pen and knocked her up. I got her the "shot" (which ha sa 50% chance of rendering them sterile) and now she is sterile :(.

I have insurance for Smiley, I pay for it monthly, just in case her hips go ba, she breaks her leg, or she has heart problems in older age. I wish I had taken it out on my other 2 before they hit the 5 yr age limit. They'd probabaly still be alive right now (both got cancer, 1 I had put down, 1 died unexpectedly after a day off food).

I also got her the Avid Microchip in case she ever get slost (which I highly doubt as she rarely leaves the yard if off leash .. unless that fucking dog comes in our yard and entices her away).

I can't afford it for all my pets though. It's rather pricey.

Speaking of health issues on a dog, anyone know anything about jack russells? My puppy does fine walking, but after he runs very far or fast he pulls up one of his back legs for a while, then it seems to go away after a rest and is fine again until we start over. I plan on taking him to the vet and seeing if they can figure out whats wrong and if it's fixable, but any ideas until that happens? I do plan on looking into it and seeing what I can find out, but I haven't had the time yet.

Speaking of health issues on a dog, anyone know anything about jack russells? My puppy does fine walking, but after he runs very far or fast he pulls up one of his back legs for a while, then it seems to go away after a rest and is fine again until we start over. I plan on taking him to the vet and seeing if they can figure out whats wrong and if it's fixable, but any ideas until that happens? I do plan on looking into it and seeing what I can find out, but I haven't had the time yet.

Some are prone to dislocation of the kneecaps, inherited eye diseases, deafness, Legg Perthes-a disease of the hip joints of small breeds of dogs.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/jackrussellterrier.htm

:( I hope it's not that.

I'm not to sure how insurance would've helped the cancer... getting it on any big dog is a good idea though.

So this next door dog has rendered one pet sterile and the other one is chewed up. Yet I'm a bad person for mentioning anti-freeze...

Really, what is your plan to get rid of the dog next door? If it's such a menace, then why would you release it on someone else?

Have you considered sueing the owner of the dog that mauled your cat? Or does that no leash law somehow cover their ass on that?

The avid microchip might work someday... right now alot of animal control officers check for it, but very few vets check for it when someone brings in a new animal for shots/vaccs/whatever... which they should, as these great new owners could have very well stolen the animal.

I'm not to sure how insurance would've helped the cancer... getting it on any big dog is a good idea though.
I was told by the represenative that it's covered under the insurance. All I would have had to pay would have been the deductible.

So this next door dog has rendered one pet sterile and the other one is chewed up. Yet I'm a bad person for mentioning anti-freeze...
I want to hurt it bad, don't get me wrong. I'm just afraid of :

A. it won't kill it and the owners will take it to the vet and then somehow I would be held responsible for it. That could in return get me a fine and a misdemeanor charge if they pressed charges. We don't have a leash law in our county, but torturing an animal is a misdemeanor offense in AL. We've had people get caught for similar and I"ve seen it on the news.

or B. It wouldn't eat all of whatever I put it in (since the dog won't come anywhere near me) and someone elses pet (or one of my own) might injest some of it.

Really, what is your plan to get rid of the dog next door? If it's such a menace, then why would you release it on someone else?
I am going to have one of my friends come over and shoot it. I have friends who hunt in competitions, so I feel safe in assuming they can get one in the right spot. I have been given the "go ahead" by both animal control and my local sherrif's department to do so. They did not, however, say I could poison it.

Have you considered sueing the owner of the dog that mauled your cat? Or does that no leash law somehow cover their ass on that?
It helps them be criminally un-liable yes, but I could take them to civil court. BUT I have no physical evidence linking their dog to anything on my property except me and my family seeing it do these things. That wouldn't hold any water in court. So it would be a waste of my money and a day off work for me and my parents.

The avid microchip might work someday... right now alot of animal control officers check for it, but very few vets check for it when someone brings in a new animal for shots/vaccs/whatever... which they should, as these great new owners could have very well stolen the animal.

This is true, but a lot of them around here do, when new clients come in or an exsisting client brings a new adult animal in for a check up. I know I have been checked (with all 3 of mine) several times. Having moved several times I've changed vets a couple times.

I was told by the represenative that it's covered under the insurance. All I would have had to pay would have been the deductible.

Thats all good, I'm just wondering what the actual treatment would be.

I want to hurt it bad, don't get me wrong. I'm just afraid of :

A. it won't kill it and the owners will take it to the vet and then somehow I would be held responsible for it. That could in return get me a fine and a misdemeanor charge if they pressed charges. We don't have a leash law in our county, but torturing an animal is a misdemeanor offense in AL. We've had people get caught for similar and I"ve seen it on the news.

or B. It wouldn't eat all of whatever I put it in (since the dog won't come anywhere near me) and someone elses pet (or one of my own) might injest some of it.

Fair enough. Was just a suggestion.

I am going to have one of my friends come over and shoot it. I have friends who hunt in competitions, so I feel safe in assuming they can get one in the right spot. I have been given the "go ahead" by both animal control and my local sherrif's department to do so. They did not, however, say I could poison it.

This somehow seems very fucked up... even if the authorities OK'd it.

I don't know what the exact plans are, but I'd suggest not shooting it in their backyard for fear of backlash or something. anti-freeze, or even snatching it and taking it to a vet to have it put down then dropping it back in their back yard, at least leaves them with a dead dog and clueless as to why it died.

Finding their pet in their backyard with a bullet in it might piss them off, in which case, you might suffer the backlash if they figure out it was you. Smiley might be the target or revenge so be carefull... remove the dog altogethor if you can, whether it be a corpse or still alive when you snatch it.

It helps them be criminally un-liable yes, but I could take them to civil court. BUT I have no physical evidence linking their dog to anything on my property except me and my family seeing it do these things. That wouldn't hold any water in court. So it would be a waste of my money and a day off work for me and my parents.

Shitty. Sueing never seems to help anyone I know. :(

This is true, but a lot of them around here do, when new clients come in or an exsisting client brings a new adult animal in for a check up. I know I have been checked (with all 3 of mine) several times. Having moved several times I've changed vets a couple times.

I'm glad they do. Not saying people purposely steal dogs, but they find them and classify them as strays/dumps and decide to take them home themselves without making a fair attempt at finding the owners... my dad checks for them and puts them in, half the animal control officers around here check for them, adoption places around here check, but it's been slow getting around to all the other vets. It's probably 50/50 now. In 5-10 years it'll be more like 90/10.

Honestly, it's not that I hate pets or think people should neglect them, I've just seen so much stupid stuff, so many stupid owners, and so many asshole animals that I truely do not care to have any of my own. I'm soured by the whole idea, so yea, I do have a major bias when it comes to people spending alot of money on their pets (unless it's for basic care...). I've seen soo many people try to keep a dog alive for their own selfish reasons instead of putting it out of it's misery like it should be, that I often get pissed off when I hear people spending money on an animal - I automatically think this is what they're doing even when oftentimes, it's not. So I'm sorry if I've jumped on you about the issue a bit.

Thats all good, I'm just wondering what the actual treatment would be.

Depending on the type of cancer, where it is, and how far it has progressed by the time it's noticed .. they can either operate and remove it, or do chemotherapy.

Basically it's the same as with people.

Don't worry about it .. just try not to hold everyone under the same assumption ;). We all know what ass u me does to us all ;) ;).

I won't leave the dog in their yard. And I'm not gonna shoot it in their yard. Smiley is about to go back into heat .. so I won't have to. He'll be in my yard plenty. Hes usually here somewhere all day long .. regardless of her being penned up in the garage.

Well here I thought things were getting better .. seems they were getting worse right under my nose (well ours actually .. no one else noticed this either).

Yesterday before I left from work I was going to drain the wound (like I have been doing several times a day) after putting a warm compress on it. I always clean it with alcohol beforehand, just in case.

Well when I went to clean it the skin had hardened. It was so hard and crunchy it made a "tap tap" sound if I tapped my nail on it. And it was kinda white in spots. The skin had also broken open in a few places and I could see this yellow stuff inisde. So I called someone else in to look at it.

It had no odor, wasn't angry/red looking, and Dodge didn't act to be in any sort of pain or discomfort. WTF

So the vet is closed, so I'm gonna call today whenthey open and take him in.

I get up this morning to find this ...

(trust me .. this is gross. If you have a weak stomach .. don't even bother looking. I can handle most things .. but I almost puked when I first saw it, course it was unexpected to though).

IMG_3943-2.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

I completely freaked out. Then I notice .. the cat doesn't seem to even notice .. WTF!! He doesn't even act like it's there.

Regardless .. I've already placed a call to the vet and left a message with the answering service.

:(

Well here I thought things were getting better .. seems they were getting worse right under my nose (well ours actually .. no one else noticed this either).

Yesterday before I left from work I was going to drain the wound (like I have been doing several times a day) after putting a warm compress on it. I always clean it with alcohol beforehand, just in case.

Well when I went to clean it the skin had hardened. It was so hard and crunchy it made a "tap tap" sound if I tapped my nail on it. And it was kinda white in spots. The skin had also broken open in a few places and I could see this yellow stuff inisde. So I called someone else in to look at it.

It had no odor, wasn't angry/red looking, and Dodge didn't act to be in any sort of pain or discomfort. WTF

So the vet is closed, so I'm gonna call today whenthey open and take him in.

I get up this morning to find this ...

(trust me .. this is gross. If you have a weak stomach .. don't even bother looking. I can handle most things .. but I almost puked when I first saw it, course it was unexpected to though).

IMG_3943-2.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

I completely freaked out. Then I notice .. the cat doesn't seem to even notice .. WTF!! He doesn't even act like it's there.

Regardless .. I've already placed a call to the vet and left a message with the answering service.

:(

I hope the piece of shit that did this is taking care of these vet bills. If not I would like to personally offer my assassin services free of charge.

I had to literally harrass the guy to give me $80 for that shot for Smiley. He didn't act concerned at all about the cat his dog killed.

He won't pay for shit. Hell, the people's house look like they can't afford it. They don't cut their grass, he drives a ratty old work van, and his kids look like they have 3rd generation hand-me-downs on.

How they afforded to move into our neighborhood in the first place is beyond me .. but they're here .. and so is the dog.

I had to literally harrass the guy to give me $80 for that shot for Smiley. He didn't act concerned at all about the cat his dog killed.

He won't pay for shit. Hell, the people's house look like they can't afford it. They don't cut their grass, he drives a ratty old work van, and his kids look like they have 3rd generation hand-me-downs on.

How they afforded to move into our neighborhood in the first place is beyond me .. but they're here .. and so is the dog.

IMO it would be war at this point.

IMO it would be war at this point.

if the cat was out with no leash, then he was fair game for an attack by a dog. Its really not the dog owners fault.

edit: read post 9 and i'll have to agree that the dog needs to be disposed of.

Last edited:
Actually .. if your own animal is on your own property it doesn't need a leash. It's when you take it off your property that it requires one ... IF the place you reside in has a leash law .. which my county does not.

The cat that was killed was in my driveway rolling around in the gravel, minding her own business.

This one was most probabaly on the back deck .. as he doesn't venture far from a door.

This dog .. mind when I say neighbor I mean lives in my subdivision .. lives 2 streets over from my house.

Actually .. if your own animal is on your own property it doesn't need a leash. It's when you take it off your property that it requires one ... IF the place you reside in has a leash law .. which my county does not.

The cat that was killed was in my driveway rolling around in the gravel, minding her own business.

This one was most probabaly on the back deck .. as he doesn't venture far from a door.

This dog .. mind when I say neighbor I mean lives in my subdivision .. lives 2 streets over from my house.

i was thinking the cats were the wandering type that would come home every so often.

Yea, if the dogs being a problem, id have no issue leaving out a tin of anti freeze.