Ontopic Alcohol Blog - Post when you're drinking!

We don't drink spirits very often, so anything other than bourbon usually stays around for a while.
While clearing out my friend from Lanzarote's dead mother's house, we came across a mixed case of spirits in a wardrobe. As it could hardly be taken back as luggage, I ended up with it. On checking, its all 1 litre bottles from the 80s still sealed. A bottle of Smirnoff blue with the same labelling recently sold for £150 so that's not being opened. Unfortunately, apart from Southern Comfort, the rest consists of different Bacardis and Smirnoffs, a really crap brandy, a bottle of Pernod 45 (might be collectable) and Cointreau.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Ardbeg Uigeadail or Lagavulin 16 are safe choices in the right price range.
Never buy anyone a Lagavulin unless you know they'll like it. Its probably the most extreme malt as the barrels are under sea water twice a year hence the iodine/ seaweed tinge. Lots of people love malt whisky but draw the line at Lagavulin.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Jehannum
Never buy anyone a Lagavulin unless you know they'll like it. Its probably the most extreme malt as the barrels are under sea water twice a year hence the iodine/ seaweed tinge. Lots of people love malt whisky but draw the line at Lagavulin.

I like it, but you're right, proper Scotch whiskey is a touchy subject, even for people who like it.

And for what it's worth I've just opened a bottle of this from Latvia.

Seems they need some copyeditors!

... if you add tonic and ginger to an Old Fashioned glass and gently the muddle the bitter into you'll enjoy...

Tastes like a god-damned swamp

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
Ardbeg Uigeadail or Lagavulin 16 are safe choices in the right price range.

On the advice of my local liquor store owners, I went with Suntory Hibiki
I am not at all a Scotch fan, barely a Whiskey fan, but this stuff... Good lord it was good.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Gonna get white girl wasted today. Drinking Luksosowa verdker, cran juice, and lemonade, Quite refreshing. Luksosowa is triple distilled Polish potato vodka. Luksosowa means "luxury" in Polish. I shit you not. It's stupid cheap at the package store because they don't advertise. Try it. It's good.