Wholefoods CEO, John Mackey?

"health care reform"

That could mean a substantial number of different ideas/plans.

Ice cream

Ice cream or ice-cream is a frozen dessert usually made from dairy products, such as milk and cream, combined with fruits or other ingredients and flavours. Most varieties contain sugar, although some are made with other sweeteners. In some cases, artificial flavourings and colorings are used in addition to (or in replacement of) the natural ingredients. This mixture is stirred slowly while cooling to prevent large ice crystals from forming; the result is a smoothly textured ice cream.

Taking the risk of financial ramifications due to medical treatments out of the equation by way of socialized health care would help Joe get back on his feet and contributing to the economy by A) growing his company to employ others, and B) spending his money on tools for his company and spending more money on clothes, a new car, a tv, etc.

That's the closest thing to a safety net as possible.

I agree with this result and the associated logic, I just don't like the means of getting there. I would prefer private contribution and charity.

Look at Denmark. They have a system where you pay extra tax and everyone receives (from then on) free medical care. Those would like to not pay that much tax, and instead would rather pay for private medical insurance are free to do so. The poor who do not have jobs are covered by the tax payers.

The Danes are very happy with that system.

The Danes number 5.5 million. There's no way to know whether such a system would even work in the U.S. since I doubt you could mathematically compare the two nations and keep the examples proportional. I do know that we have a massive amount of poor in America (we specifically solicit them on a gigantic statue, after all) and the payout, therefore, would be large. Very large.

I also know that we exploit our current healthcare system to the tune of many billions of dollars each year and that probably wouldn't change regardless what measures we implement. The almighty dollar rules in the U.S., far more than in Denmark. Those who didn't pay in to the system would find a way to use it anyway, and when you're talking about 60 times as many people those numbers add up in a hurry.

Not to mention the extremely powerful insurance lobby that would fight the measure every step of the way. Right now they have us hostage. Do you think they would gladly part with millions of subscribers?

Pessimism aside though, I'd be willing to test that system, so long as choice were involved.

basically it comes down to greed...if you feel the most advanced society in the world (supposedly) should have disease ridden bums walking the street, starving children who don't get proper medical care, and elderly who can't afford to stay healthy amongst our populace then we are really no better than a pack of vaguely intelligent wolves

I've said this before...why is it that other countries can make health care work? are we really that stupid? apparently so

basically it comes down to greed...if you feel the most advanced society in the world (supposedly) should have disease ridden bums walking the street, starving children who don't get proper medical care, and elderly who can't afford to stay healthy amongst our populace then we are really no better than a pack of vaguely intelligent wolves

I've said this before...why is it that other countries can make health care work? are we really that stupid? apparently so

Greed is a manifestation of free will though. By eliminating the results of that greed, i.e. the disparity of wealth and the suffering of the less fortunate, you eliminate the ability of the people to control their own destiny and be free. You cannot have a nation of 300 million millionaires. The economy cannot sustain it. The markets aren't big enough. Nor can you have a free society of 300 million perfectly provided for citizens. Other countries make it work because they have a fraction of our freedom. Politics and business are a funny thing.

I agree with this result and the associated logic, I just don't like the means of getting there. I would prefer private contribution and charity.

Unfortunately a lot of Americans don't give a shit about their fellow countrymen.

The Danes number 5.5 million. There's no way to know whether such a system would even work in the U.S. since I doubt you could mathematically compare the two nations and keep the examples proportional. I do know that we have a massive amount of poor in America (we specifically solicit them on a gigantic statue, after all) and the payout, therefore, would be large. Very large.

I also know that we exploit our current healthcare system to the tune of many billions of dollars each year and that probably wouldn't change regardless what measures we implement. The almighty dollar rules in the U.S., far more than in Denmark. Those who didn't pay in to the system would find a way to use it anyway, and when you're talking about 60 times as many people those numbers add up in a hurry.

It's all proportional. The larger American population means that yes, more abuse of the system, but it also means that more money is being collected through taxation.

There a stat that I heard the other day, and I'll have to find a link to it somewhere. But it basically said something like more than half of all bankruptcies in America are due to medical costs, and around 40% of those bankruptcies are people WITH health insurance.

Maybe, just maybe, changing the health care system could reduce the amount of poor in this country?

Not to mention the extremely powerful insurance lobby that would fight the measure every step of the way. Right now they have us hostage. Do you think they would gladly part with millions of subscribers?

Pessimism aside though, I'd be willing to test that system, so long as choice were involved.

This is one of my biggest peeves with the western world and capitalism. The fact that corporation can pay government officals to influence the way they vote on bills. This is exactly legalized government corruption.

Greed is a manifestation of free will though. By eliminating the results of that greed, i.e. the disparity of wealth and the suffering of the less fortunate, you eliminate the ability of the people to control their own destiny and be free. You cannot have a nation of 300 million millionaires. The economy cannot sustain it. The markets aren't big enough. Nor can you have a free society of 300 million perfectly provided for citizens. Other countries make it work because they have a fraction of our freedom. Politics and business are a funny thing.

nothing I said requires a nation of 300 million millionaires or anything remotely similar...it's pure greed

nothing I said requires a nation of 300 million millionaires or anything remotely similar...it's pure greed

I didn't say you said that. My point is simply that we will never be perfect. We will never have a nation where everyone is wealthy and happy. Nor will we ever have a nation where everyone has equal access to every service and commodity. And that is by design. You are free to pursue happiness, you are not guaranteed to obtain it. If you ARE guaranteed, you will not be free. Ironically.

I didn't say you said that. My point is simply that we will never be perfect. We will never have a nation where everyone is wealthy and happy. Nor will we ever have a nation where everyone has equal access to every service and commodity. And that is by design. You are free to pursue happiness, you are not guaranteed to obtain it. If you ARE guaranteed, you will not be free. Ironically.
Yes, but that is no reason to stop trying.

I don't think anyone is saying 'stop trying.' they're saying, 'get out of my pocket and find a better solution.'
it's the same thing. people can sit around all day and say they're open to a new solution as they shoot down options one by one.

if by "options" you mean 'option,' and by 'option' you mean me pay for you, then yeah. consider it shot down.

any thoughts on any of Mackey's ideas?
it's not "me pay for you" it's a shared pool to minimize the risk to each person. if we're talking about healthcare here, then it's group insurance with everyone in the group. that provides the lowest level of risk for each participant.