Wholefoods CEO, John Mackey?

Applesauce

The Gypsy-The Acid Queen
Dec 9, 2008
Marklar
₥3,143
He has some pretty radical ideas on health care and in general.

radical?

do tell.

for me, I think a guy that has already accomplished the following should be considered a valuable resource:

Whole Foods Market pays 100% of the premiums for all our team members who work 30 hours or more per week (about 89% of all team members) for our high deductible health insurance plan, and provides up to $1,800 per year in additional health care dollars through deposits into their own Personal Wellness Accounts to spend as they choose on their own health and wellness. Money not spent in one year rolls over to the next and grows over time. Our team members therefore spend their own health care dollars until the annual deductible is covered (about $2,500) and the insurance plan kicks in. This creates incentives to spend the first $2,500 more carefully. Our plan’s costs are much lower than typical health insurance, while providing a very high degree of team member satisfaction.

Also, what happens to his "awesome" health care plan, when an employee needs something now?

How's that high deductible helping anyone save there?

Hope they don't have a preexisting condition.

read up.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

"only if medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment was recommended or received during the 6 months prior to your enrollment date in the plan"

everything else? COVERED

I love watching you guys whine about shit you know nothing about. We know - it will never be good enough unless someone else pays for everything you want. we get that. You don't want contribute any more than the bare minimum - & you'll whine about that too.

first, I'm all for eliminating all pre-ex clauses, but the bitch and moan tactics about it not being good enough already are amusing to anyone who knows anything about insurance.

second, the solution resides in determining how to set that part up so everyone doesn't drop their insurance until there is a need & then sign up.

I want to avoid a plan that would be analogous to waiting until you're in a car accident to apply for car insurance.

Also, what happens to his "awesome" health care plan, when an employee needs something now?

How's that high deductible helping anyone save there?

did you read the rest?

the high deductible plan is for catastrophic events. He GIVES his employees an ADDITIONAL $1200/year towards the $2500 deductible. The employee decides on what to spend that $$ on. The employee is accountable for that & decides if they need to run to the doctor for a sniffle, or to wait & spend their own $$ on something more worthwhile.

The employee contributes $1300/year if they have more than $2500/year in medical needs.

The employee spends $109/month IF they need $2500 or more + in medical care. Sounds like a bargain to me. about 50% of the first $2500, then 100%.

what is wrong with that plan? the EMPLOYEE decided which doctor, which prescription, who's advice they follow. Not some government panel's recommendation.

Well that six month period is all huh? That's sounds so nice and pleasant!

what happens if your company goes under and you have any of these conditions and need to get new health ins.??

Health problems for which you have not seen a doctor
Automatic decline for some companies

Health problems that a doctor can not explain

Health problems for which you have not completed treatment

AIDS
Automatic decline

Pregnancy, pregnancy of your spouse or significant other, planned surrogacy or adoption in process
Automatic decline

Cancer, under treatment
Automatic decline

Sleep Apnea
Automatic decline or higher premium will be charged

Severe mental disorders, such as major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or psychopathic personalities
Automatic decline

Heart disease
Automatic decline

Renal failure or Kidney Dialysis
Automatic decline

Diabetes with complications
Automatic decline

Cirrhosis
Automatic decline

Multiple Sclerosis
Automatic decline

Muscular Dystrophy
Automatic decline

Systemic Lupus Erythematous
Automatic decline

History of transplant
Automatic decline

Lymphedema

Current infertility treatment
Automatic decline

Hepatitis
Automatic decline

Hemochromatosis
Automatic decline

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Automatic decline

Stroke, after 10 years with no reoccurring problems

Allergies, while testing is in process

Ear infections, controlled with medication
Higher premium may be charged

Lyme's disease, without symptoms after one year

Breast Implants (non-silicone)

Ringworm

Joint sprain or strain, recovered and no restrictions

Migraine headache, mild and infrequent with no emergency room visits

Mild depression
Automatic decline or higher premium may be charged

Obesity

STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease)

http://www.calhealth.net/california_health_pre_existing_condition.htm

what happens if your company goes under and you have any of these conditions and need to get new health ins.??

lol. what happens if, and then, and then, and if, and then, and then, and if. . .

zomg!!!

we have to have to have a plan! :eek::eek:

sweetpea, if your company goes under, you can continue the plan you have. you just have to pay for it.

and then, and then, what if, ALIENS!!!!!

WE NEED A PLAN THAT INCLUDES ALIEN COVERAGE! WHAT IF AND THEN?

read up.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

"only if medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment was recommended or received during the 6 months prior to your enrollment date in the plan"

everything else? COVERED

I love watching you guys whine about shit you know nothing about. We know - it will never be good enough unless someone else pays for everything you want. we get that. You don't want contribute any more than the bare minimum - & you'll whine about that too.

first, I'm all for eliminating all pre-ex clauses, but the bitch and moan tactics about it not being good enough already are amusing to anyone who knows anything about insurance.

second, the solution resides in determining how to set that part up so everyone doesn't drop their insurance until there is a need & then sign up.

I want to avoid a plan that would be analogous to waiting until you're in a car accident to apply for car insurance.

http://www.healthreform.gov/reports/denied_coverage/index.html

Enough information on there about real circumstance regarding preexisting conditions. I don't want you to pay for shit, infact, you aren't going to pay for shit because you don't earn over 1 million a year. I want those greedy corrupt corporations to payback to those they have fucked over for years. While we're at it, i'd love to see the end of a sole capitalist society. Those who think capitalism by itself work out for everyone is a fucking brain dead moron.

http://www.healthreform.gov/reports/denied_coverage/index.html

Enough information on there about real circumstance regarding preexisting conditions. I don't want you to pay for shit, infact, you aren't going to pay for shit because you don't earn over 1 million a year. I want those greedy corrupt corporations to payback to those they have fucked over for years. While we're at it, i'd love to see the end of a sole capitalist society. Those who think capitalism by itself work out for everyone is a fucking brain dead moron.
Life doesn't work out for everyone, no reason why economics should either.

Last edited:
lol. what happens if, and then, and then, and if, and then, and then, and if. . .

zomg!!!

sweetpea, if your company goes under, you can continue the plan you have. you just have to pay for it.

Wow.. Genius right here..

You don't think much through do you? If the company you work for goes under, you say you can continue the policy, well even if that was true for all policies, then you would be paying a shit load more money for your health insurance. How does this work out fairly for everyone?

You just don't get it..

Life doesn't work out for everyone, no reason why economics should either.

Jesus fucking christ. This is what I have to debate with? Why even bother with government anything then.. Cancel the military, if shit's gonna happen then, oh well *emo cry* /wrists

WAIT - you're using an obama puff piece of a website as evidence?

then I say "my dad said he's wrong. And my dad is bigger than your dad and obama combined. And he's a ninja." so there.

lol

So it's bullshit because it's comes from the government? You only think it's bullshit because you don't like Obama..

Jesus fucking christ. This is what I have to debate with? Why even bother with government anything then.. Cancel the military, if shit's gonna happen then, oh well *emo cry* /wrists

Puddin, there's a difference between spending money to encourage the pursuit of happiness, and guaranteeing happiness.

Last edited:

zomg!!!

You're completely idiotic. Yes, everyone needs a plan. Nothing is binding and promised nowadays.

yes, you can carry on the health insurance, but at a much higher monthly rate, OR you can opt for COBRA, which is not very budget conscious for someone who JUST LOST THEIR JOB.

Also, what happens if that person moves out of state? The insurance company puts limits on their coverage. So, you move back home by family or what not, your insurance company can deny you coverage for something as simple as sinus problems. AND they will refer you to their labs for tests, that you will have to pay for as well.

I love how you throw out insults right away. Do you live in a world with rainbows and unicorns? I can understand. the health coverage must be phenomenal there! I bet no one even gets sick!