This is exciting!

Sarc is right. There's some pretty nasty chemicals used in making soap now and the sole reason is to make it bubble because people expect it. Modern soap not made it of lard or whatever doesn't naturally have bubbles.

I'm amazed at the hangups over this. Carotenoids (like the ones in carrots) make shit orange or yellow or red. Lack of those pigments is simply a lack of carotenoids. It isn't indicative of a perfect environment, sustainability, nutritive value, flavor, or anything else.

We eat dozens of species of white fish every day, and they are white simply because they lack the gene found in salmon and other creatures that makes them retain carotene pigment in their flesh). And yet holy shit, not white salmon! It's so racist. You fucking people are fish racists and you should be ashamed.

OK, I at first read this as "asphyxiation" & INSTANTLY had visuals of humans choking out some fish here & there throughout the day, then throwing them back into the water to revive them!
sdfnkgdfjgkdfg

I'm dying as I'm typdsifdkg dfthis,

lolloloolollfsdkfhksdfsf

dyingggg

I'm about to add asphyxiation to the UF cafeteria menu.

As someone who knows a little bit about fish, I can tell you this. They discolor for a few reasons, none of them good. Disease, Bad Diet, and Stress.

I would not touch a discolored fish.

As someone who knows a little bit about fish, I can tell you this. They discolor for a few reasons, none of them good. Disease, Bad Diet, and Stress.

I would not touch a discolored fish.

You're talking about discolored spots on fish, not the overall color of the fish meat.

You're talking about discolored spots on fish, not the overall color of the fish meat.

No, no. I'm talking about the general overall color of a fish.

The biggest culprit is stress, such as pH levels, as well as nitrite and nitrate levels in the water.

No, no. I'm talking about the general overall color of a fish.

The biggest culprit is stress, such as pH levels, as well as nitrite and nitrate levels in the water.

Some fish change color simply because they do. It isn't always because of negative stimuli. But that's a whole other conversation.

I just told you why.

Astaxanthin is not dye. Look up dye in the dictionary. Cartenoids are pigment-causing antioxidants that fish ingest when they eat algae and krill. It results in the distinctive hue you typically see in some species of salmon, crustaceans, flamingos, etc. Flamingoes raised in captivity, without access to the organisms that contain astaxanthin, will lose their pink coloration. Just like salmon. That cartenoid is supplemented in their diets, which "adds color" to the animal. What that label is telling you is that those salmon are being fed diets that mimic the diets they would find in the wild. That's it. It doesn't mean there is a guy on the packaging line with a syringe of pink-orange goop injecting each fillet as it rolls past. And astaxanthin has nothing to do with flavor, so your aversion to the tastes of certain fish colorations is simply an interesting psychosomatic one.

Some wild salmon species like the ivory king salmon aren't pink-orange either. They have a genetic difference that doesn't allow them to absorb astaxanthin. And they occur naturally in the wild. And they are absolutely fucking delicious. Would you eat them?
I guess it's semantics but when something says "color added" it makes me thing dye of some kind.

I'm all about eating wild caught fish. If I caught a ivory king salmon I would enjoy the taste of its delicious flesh.

I love living in the Midwest were I can go right to the hog farm and get a bucket of fresh pig assholes straight from the farmer.
... and you get to take delight in the fact that no matter how shitty your job is, there's someone out there individually cutting and packaging pig assholes.