This is exciting!

I found out today my debit card was stolen. I think it was my brother but I'm not sure.

They have been making their car payments on it though. Idiot.

Also ordering auto parts.

I called the bank. Should I completely screw my brother with a class A misdemeanor? Should I try to make a restitution agreement?

Excitement.

Time to take your brother out back and put him "down"

seriously... what a dick.
im so happy im estranged from my family.

They've got salmon farms down the coast of NS and they're constantly having trouble with them. Escaped fish, sea lice, massive amounts of bio sludge taking over the environment because of the high concentration of salmon shit and feed, the fish attacking each other since they're in such close proximity...

Though with wild salmon pretty close to endangered, there isn't much else of a choice.

I'm estranged from my bio father and youngest sister. *shrug*
The way I see it is, if people are toxic in your life, they don't belong there. I couldn't care less.

Fo sho. You aren't missing anything when you aren't hanging out with assholes.

Once I say, "I don't give a shit" in terms of not having contact with someone, I truly don't give a shit.
I don't know, it's easy for me to just shut everything off and stay away. I truly don't care. I think it's growing up the way I did, like a survivalist's mentality.

Farmed fish are not fed dye. They are fed natural and synthetic carotenoids, specifically astaxanthin and canthaxanthin. Farmed salmon is supplemented with this antioxidant, and it is absorbed in exactly the same way as in wild salmon.
OK. If that's the case, why does the salmon in my local supermarket have "color added" on the label?

When I buy salmon I go downtown to the fish market, get the whole wild caught fish, and break it down myself. The flesh is always a nice color, not like the farmed fish. Sockeye is my favorite, which is practically blood red when filleted. Store bought sockeye is barely pink, so either it's mislabeled or something else is up.

Even buying sockeye at the fish market isn't the same as going to AK and pulling it from the ocean though. That was one of the best summers of my life.

If you have a bad family, being estranged is a good thing.

I'm estranged from my bio father and youngest sister. *shrug*
The way I see it is, if people are toxic in your life, they don't belong there. I couldn't care less.

Once I say, "I don't give a shit" in terms of not having contact with someone, I truly don't give a shit.
I don't know, it's easy for me to just shut everything off and stay away. I truly don't care. I think it's growing up the way I did, like a survivalist's mentality.

See. That's the sad part - having assholes for relatives, needing to have a survivalist's mentality growing up, having to shut people out of your lives. I'm not saying it's a bad decision or a bad thing to do, I'm just sad you've had to do it. That would be agony to me.

See. That's the sad part - having assholes for relatives, needing to have a survivalist's mentality growing up, having to shut people out of your lives. I'm not saying it's a bad decision or a bad thing to do, I'm just sad you've had to do it. That would be agony to me.
I feel kinda the same way, but if someone is actively sabotaging you, you've got to let them go. My family is pretty close, growing up I had no idea family fucked each other over. Then I met my in-laws...

Ever thought of going out into the world on your own for an adventure while your still young? People do it all the time with hardly any money. Go volunteer in Africa or South America.

I'm completely like this too. Once you're out you're out. It's extremely rare for me to let someone back into my life in any capacity once I've gotten to the point that I cut you out. Some people say I'm stubborn, I call it healthy and keeping things around me positive.

OK. If that's the case, why does the salmon in my local supermarket have "color added" on the label?

When I buy salmon I go downtown to the fish market, get the whole wild caught fish, and break it down myself. The flesh is always a nice color, not like the farmed fish. Sockeye is my favorite, which is practically blood red when filleted. Store bought sockeye is barely pink, so either it's mislabeled or something else is up.

Even buying sockeye at the fish market isn't the same as going to AK and pulling it from the ocean though. That was one of the best summers of my life.

I spent a week on Kodiac Island, best trip ever! And NOTHING better than catching a king salmon, fileting and cooking it right there. Best fish I've ever had!

I think this is where the whole 'wild' benefits are made too.
1) in the wild - ONLY - the strong survive. farming yields genetically pathetic fish. The goal is never a healthy fish, it's a sellable piece of meat on ice in a fish market/store.
2) in the wild they have to develop muscles naturally, over a time period that nature determined. It's not that way w/farming.

even if you give the farmed fish the exact same krill, there could easily be a difference in the way the color is stored in the flesh simply due to the farming environment.

Last edited:
I spent a week on Kodiac Island, best trip ever! And NOTHING better than catching a king salmon, fileting and cooking it right there. Best fish I've ever had!
I did a 3 month trip with my grandparents when I was in HS. We drove up from Chicago pulling a 5th wheel trailer.

We fished for sockeye on the shores around Fairbanks, and went on some charters for pink salmon and halibut. Pulling in a 300# halibut is an amazing experience.
I think this is where the whole 'wild' benefits are made too.
1) in the wild - ONLY - the strong survive. farming yields genetically pathetic fish. The goal is never a healthy fish, it's a sellable piece of meat on ice in a fish market/store.
2) in the wild they have to develop muscles naturally, over a time period that nature determined. It's not that way w/farming.

even if you give the farmed fish the exact same krill, there could easily be a difference in the way the color is stored in the flesh simply due to the farming environment.
Makes sense, farmed fish are relegated to such a small area they don't really have to move around much.

I equate it to the difference between CAFO beef and grass fed pastured beef. Same with chickens. Eggs from chickens who are left to forage on their own taste quite different than the bland stuff at the market.

I just told you why.

Astaxanthin is not dye. Look up dye in the dictionary. Cartenoids are pigment-causing antioxidants that fish ingest when they eat algae and krill. It results in the distinctive hue you typically see in some species of salmon, crustaceans, flamingos, etc. Flamingoes raised in captivity, without access to the organisms that contain astaxanthin, will lose their pink coloration. Just like salmon. That cartenoid is supplemented in their diets, which "adds color" to the animal. What that label is telling you is that those salmon are being fed diets that mimic the diets they would find in the wild. That's it. It doesn't mean there is a guy on the packaging line with a syringe of pink-orange goop injecting each fillet as it rolls past. And astaxanthin has nothing to do with flavor, so your aversion to the tastes of certain fish colorations is simply an interesting psychosomatic one.

Some wild salmon species like the ivory king salmon aren't pink-orange either. They have a genetic difference that doesn't allow them to absorb astaxanthin. And they occur naturally in the wild. And they are absolutely fucking delicious. Would you eat them?

Last edited: