Food The Vegan Thread

Neither were you initially, so go ahead and move the goalpost.
Really? Lets summarize this debate. Here's my initial statement.

"Ecological footprint: It needs no explanation that a vegetarian diet requires less farmland and produces less CO2/methane emissions than a diet with meat."

Then you called me out on this, so I posted this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_protein_per_unit_area_of_land

Yield per acre is pretty reliable/understood for the vegetarian options. I'm not sure how they calculate the yield per acre of beef in that table, and I'd imagine it can vary widely depending on what cows are being fed at a given farm... but it's pretty obvious from that table that protein per acre, the vegetarian options beat meat by a quite significant factor, validating my initial statement (for beef, at least). Yeah, I haven't gone through the trouble of looking up protein/acre of chicken, pork, lamb, whatever... but that doesn't exactly refute my argument.

By all means, dig up some contradictory numbers if you can.

It got too hot and my chickens have stopped laying for the summer :(. I have about a dozen eggs left and then I'll have to buy some again.

Really? Lets summarize this debate. Here's my initial statement.

"Ecological footprint: It needs no explanation that a vegetarian diet requires less farmland and produces less CO2/methane emissions than a diet with meat."

Then you called me out on this, so I posted this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_protein_per_unit_area_of_land

Yield per acre is pretty reliable/understood for the vegetarian options. I'm not sure how they calculate the yield per acre of beef in that table, and I'd imagine it can vary widely depending on what cows are being fed at a given farm... but it's pretty obvious from that table that protein per acre, the vegetarian options beat meat by a quite significant factor, validating my initial statement (for beef, at least). Yeah, I haven't gone through the trouble of looking up protein/acre of chicken, pork, lamb, whatever... but that doesn't exactly refute my argument.

By all means, dig up some contradictory numbers if you can.
I already did but you ignored it. If you include the data I posted, they're a lot closer.

500 head per acre, and 500 pounds of meat per head. What's that math?

And they're all eating corn, which is about the most efficient crop we grow.

It's the sunshine on bare skin, isn't it?
Don't argue with him. He would be a carnivore if possible. He laments my lack of meaty meals and always wishes for more :p (the rest of post is not directed at you so you can ignore wall of text like most others will)

Of course I get teased all the time here for not eating much meat. I really do prefer poultry only. No other meat does it for me and often I feel better at times if I eat grilled chicken. But that's me and my body and as long as one doesn't bug me about what I eat, I won't do it to them.

I have no emotional issues with eating poultry either. My family grew up on farms and I particularly had no love for chickens. I do buy cage free cuz I'm not an asshole when possible, but still they are stupid animals and don't feel a bit of guilt for it.

Only bad for me with Vegan places is that too much soy and I get headaches. So I avoid a lot of soy. But I count that with also avoiding onions for similar types of issues.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
I already did but you ignored it. If you include the data I posted, they're a lot closer.

500 head per acre, and 500 pounds of meat per head. What's that math?

And they're all eating corn, which is about the most efficient crop we grow.
Yeah, you could house 500 head per acre, but that's not the cost of growing them.

That's like saying that it only costs $5k to own a car when that's all purchase price.

Don't argue with him. He would be a carnivore if possible. He laments my lack of meaty meals and always wishes for more :p (the rest of post is not directed at you so you can ignore wall of text like most others will)

Of course I get teased all the time here for not eating much meat. I really do prefer poultry only. No other meat does it for me and often I feel better at times if I eat grilled chicken. But that's me and my body and as long as one doesn't bug me about what I eat, I won't do it to them.

I have no emotional issues with eating poultry either. My family grew up on farms and I particularly had no love for chickens. I do buy cage free cuz I'm not an asshole when possible, but still they are stupid animals and don't feel a bit of guilt for it.

Only bad for me with Vegan places is that too much soy and I get headaches. So I avoid a lot of soy. But I count that with also avoiding onions for similar types of issues.

I'm pretty sure you enjoy sausage.

I have noticed a lot of vegan goods in the grocery store now will have soy-free labels, too. not as many options, but it's something they make obvious on certain foods so it is definitely something they consider. I'll try to keep my eyes peeled next time I'm at the grocery store to give some examples!

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
I have noticed a lot of vegan goods in the grocery store now will have soy-free labels, too. not as many options, but it's something they make obvious on certain foods so it is definitely something they consider. I'll try to keep my eyes peeled next time I'm at the grocery store to give some examples!
I make a lot of my own food so I don't worry about it at the grocery store. I just don't like eating out at vegan places for that reason. Too much of things I don't do well with. I would never go vegan and likely not entirely vegetarian (I like my poultry but can go years and not eat other meats without complaint). Personally I can make meals that are good that just don't have meat in them, but a lot of restaurants try to over compensate and give meat replacement products. If I am not going to eat meat, I don't want faux meat either.

• Gravy
Reactions: august