The Rules: A Proposition

rules

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted no for two reasons. A) Everyone else pretty much voted yes. I figured No wasn't getting enough respect. And 2) If we are going for more of an informal set of rules, I'm not really sure we need a formalized version of them. A simple rule of, "be civil" would most likely suffice. And if civil is cannibalism, then keep in mind that I taste best with a white wine sauce.

(On the other hand, if civil is just cannabis, get back to your snacks before they start talking to you.)

How do you keep the 11 year olds out of conversation with you and your friends? How do you keep your friends from proposing to 11 year olds?

Seriously, do you have an agreed upon set of rules whenever you sit down to talk with your friends? Isn't this what a forum is all about? Especially this forum, which is (or was?) pretty much invitation only. Are we getting rid of that?

taeric said:
I voted no for two reasons. A) Everyone else pretty much voted yes. I figured No wasn't getting enough respect. And 2) If we are going for more of an informal set of rules, I'm not really sure we need a formalized version of them. A simple rule of, "be civil" would most likely suffice. And if civil is cannibalism, then keep in mind that I taste best with a white wine sauce.

(On the other hand, if civil is just cannabis, get back to your snacks before they start talking to you.)
:lol:

*eats another Girl Scout thin mint cookie*

Bubbles said:
But with no rules....just anyone can sign up. In conversation, you can walk away from the 11 year old.....where you gonna walk on the internet?

If you walk away everytime someone you don't like comes up and starts talking to you and your friends, I truly feel sorry for you. For myself, if I am at a table with friends and someone we don't like comes up, we either ignore them or encourage them to leave. If it gets really bad, we pretty much actively prevent them from leaving.

Besides all of that, I would support limiting how people can get access to the forums. Be that with invites only or with some sort of screener. I thought the vote was for rules on posting. Not gaining access to them.

taeric said:
So, basically the rules are to act as you would during a normal social gathering among friends? Only, bear in mind some people will be reading from the office, so try not to get them in trouble. Right?

How, exactly, is this different from before?

Its not. Thats pretty much the point.

Bubbles said:
But with no rules....just anyone can sign up. In conversation, you can walk away from the 11 year old.....where you gonna walk on the internet?

We just ban them... that easy!

Derailing threads == trolling in most cases. At least, on most forums it does, maybe not here.

I was kidding, though. :) Even if I couldn't get the keed of triumph the insult dog correct.