WTF The Nike Fuelband - or Why the Mayans Should Have Been Right

i think people who don't have kids should shut the fuck up. go back to your stupid cats and dogs.

Werd. It's much easier to use positive/negatice reinforcement blah blah blah on dogs than it is on kids. Kids are way smarter than a dog. Although if you're a seriously good animal trainer you apparently use the same methods with kids. But that's like what, 100 people in the whole world?

Just give the kid a slap round the head. Never did me any harm.

Is it odd I'd totally smack the shit out of a kid but I'd never lay a hand on an animal? :confused:

I had my beloved dog before my son was born and I treated that dog like my child. I loved Joey so much and we spent a lot of time and money on his training and anything under the sun for him.
I bathed him, fed him, cuddled him and talked to him like he was my own child and now that I have a child obviously you simply can't compare the two. Night and day.
When Joey shit in my husbands $250 Jordan's we yelled at him and put him in his cage for an hour. Joey was sad. As soon as he came out he ran to me for my usual hugs and kisses.
When my son threw $500+ dollars at a giant turtle who ate my money, I yelled at him and put him in a time out. He was sad + cried. After his time out he came running to me saying sorry and wanted hugs.
At no point did it ever cross my mind to hit either of them. I could never hit a defenseless little animal but even worse I could never hit my OWN defenseless little boy.

I think if u won't hit your dog, you prob won't hit your child.

You don't have a child so it's easy to say you would hit a kid before a dog.
If you had your own child, you would be singing a different tune.

I had my beloved dog before my son was born and I treated that dog like my child. I loved Joey so much and we spent a lot of time and money on his training and anything under the sun for him.
I bathed him, fed him, cuddled him and talked to him like he was my own child and now that I have a child obviously you simply can't compare the two. Night and day.
When Joey shit in my husbands $250 Jordan's we yelled at him and put him in his cage for an hour. Joey was sad. As soon as he came out he ran to me for my usual hugs and kisses.
When my son threw $500+ dollars at a giant turtle who ate my money, I yelled at him and put him in a time out. He was sad + cried. After his time out he came running to me saying sorry and wanted hugs.
At no point did it ever cross my mind to hit either of them. I could never hit a defenseless little animal but even worse I could never hit my OWN defenseless little boy.

True, but then I don't anthropomorphise my dog. Kes is a dog, she's not in any way human and she's totally different to a child in most respects. The only common denominator for me is the dependence and responsibility involved.

The thing is I don't object to hitting kids on a moral level, whereas I object to hitting dogs. I think hitting dogs can be more harmful than hitting a child as a child can comprehend the hows and whys and consequences whereas a dog doesn't at all. You can sit a kid down an hour afterwards and say 'you know why I had to do that, don't you Timmy?' whereas a dog you can't and it just thinks 'man this bitch is crazy'. On the other hand my BF doesn't mind shouting at dogs, but is totally against shouting at/hitting kids. Makes no fuckin sense to me.

Thankfully I shan't be having kids to test out my slaps on.

Depends on the severity. I don't think slapping a kids hand when it's actually done something really wrong harms it in any long term way. Punching your kid in the face just because you're angry is harmful sure.

I reserve those slaps for things like the burner on the stove and hot water tap and such

When Joey sh*t in my husbands $250 Jordan's we yelled at him and put him in his cage for an hour. Joey was sad. As soon as he came out he ran to me for my usual hugs and kisses.

Wait until Kiko is a few years older and starts pushing your buttons on purpose. And lying. And plotting. And scheming. You'll unleash your Incan fury on his ass.

Werd. It's much easier to use positive/negatice reinforcement blah blah blah on dogs than it is on kids.
No it isn't. Before she was a director, my gf did it every day of the week. The hard part is to convince the parents and teaching staff that the method is the correct way to go about changing their behavior.

True, but then I don't anthropomorphise my dog. Kes is a dog, she's not in any way human and she's totally different to a child in most respects. The only common denominator for me is the dependence and responsibility involved.

The thing is I don't object to hitting kids on a moral level, whereas I object to hitting dogs. I think hitting dogs can be more harmful than hitting a child as a child can comprehend the hows and whys and consequences whereas a dog doesn't at all. You can sit a kid down an hour afterwards and say 'you know why I had to do that, don't you Timmy?' whereas a dog you can't and it just thinks 'man this bitch is crazy'. On the other hand my BF doesn't mind shouting at dogs, but is totally against shouting at/hitting kids. Makes no fuckin sense to me.

Thankfully I shan't be having kids to test out my slaps on.

The problem isnt that the kid can or cant understand it, its that you're teaching them a bad lesson. Just like if you beat a dog, itll show negative tendancies, if you hit your kid, theyre going to start associating that with how you solve problems, and think that they should solve problems with violence too. In a way, theyre too smart, theyll mimic your behavior, and perhaps not be able to determine what the appropriate situation is like you can as an adult.