WTF The Nike Fuelband - or Why the Mayans Should Have Been Right

I'm not saying that it is always as cut and dried as that, but I am saying that someone putting out a blanket statement of "people who don't have kids should shut the fuck up about how to raise kids" is just plain naive.
I agree, but no one said stfu. Anyway, as a parent, I'm amused at how much fairy tale input I get from people who have more experience feeding a goldfish than parenting.

does not coincide with:
No, it doesn't, does it?

That's the great thing about free will. I can consult with any number of experts, learn exactly the best way to do something, learn what is empirically proven to be a good way (possibly the best way in our day and age) to do something, then I can go ahead and be an absolute and complete assclown and do something how I want in a manner that completely contradicts everything the experts have said. All because I think my way is more correct.
And hell, it might work.

No, it doesn't, does it? That's the great thing about free will. I can consult with any number of experts, learn exactly the best way to do something, learn what is empirically proven to be a good way (possibly the best way in our day and age) to do something, then I can go ahead and be an absolute and complete assclown and do something how I want in a manner that completely contradicts everything the experts have said. All because I think my way is more correct. And hell, it might work.
Right. Which is why when people are hiring, they just take anyone and not consider their qualifications, because "hell, it might work." Now Hiring! Required Experience: ability to fog mirror.

Right. Which is why when people are hiring, they just take anyone and not consider their qualifications, because "hell, it might work." Now Hiring! Required Experience: ability to fog mirror.
You are being sarcastic, but I have a rebuttal:
01-10-2013_484996_IMG_20130109_115158.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
There is a significant difference in raising small humans and talking to a contractor. As far as I know no one gets certified to be a parent (although sometimes I think they damn sure should.)

However what happens when you're talking about a parent who has never had children before and a child psychologist or behaviorist who has no children of their own but has spent the past 25 years working intimately with children? In that case I'm pretty sure that the desk jockey would have a better grip on what the child needs than the front line fighter.
I don't know, I vastly prefer to have a male urologist.....

I don't know, I vastly prefer to have a male urologist.....

Though I would go with a female proctologist as they would have more experience in how important it is not to just jam shit on up in there.

Or, well, a gay proctologist, but that sounds like a punchline to a bad joke.

Time out never worked for my son. I would have killed for time out as a kid. When i got older my punishment often included having to come out if my room and being around them to see their unhappiness with me.

The trick is don't spank the kid when you are still angry. My parents would say"Ok, when we get home I'm going to tear your butt up." Then you had the torture of waiting for it. There was never ever a doubt it was coming or they would forget. If you tried to talk your way out of if you got it worse. Before the spanking they would make me tell them how I earned it. My grandfather would make you go out and choose your own switch. If you tried to pick one that would break or hit too soft then you were punished worse for not facing the punishment you had earned. After the spanking you were then sent to time out until you stopped crying. No hugs or I'm sorry I spanked you. Every once in a while I would hear one of them crying in their bedroom etc afterwards to themselves over having to do it. A small child you pop on the hand/butt because they can't understand a delayed punishment. You can't reason or make a deal with a toddler. They don't understand. As I got older there was no need to spank. I wanted their respect so they just had to show displeasure/disappointment and that was torture to me. Respect is earned. You can't just say respect my authority until they have a full understanding that you without a doubt are the authority.

I can bullshit/blow off anyone but my parents. So when I did bad stuff as an adult I distanced myself from them rather than see their displeasure. It was a huge mistake on my part. I didn't understand the kid to adult transition with your parents. Now that I'm an adult and respect them and have earned their respect back we can be good friends and I can ask for advice. It shames me to ever ever ask for out right help because I fear a loss of their respect that I had to earn by living correctly.

Too many parent's don't kick the kid out of their nest at some point so they can fully learn to fly on their own. If you don't you lose respect for each other.

My mom used to always say I may not always be your friend because I'm your mother first. Even if we hate each other at the moment I love you and it was never in doubt.

Time out never worked for my son. I would have killed for time out as a kid. When i got older my punishment often included having to come out if my room and being around them to see their unhappiness with me.

The trick is don't spank the kid when you are still angry. My parents would say"Ok, when we get home I'm going to tear your butt up." Then you had the torture of waiting for it. There was never ever a doubt it was coming or they would forget. If you tried to talk your way out of if you got it worse. Before the spanking they would make me tell them how I earned it. My grandfather would make you go out and choose your own switch. If you tried to pick one that would break or hit too soft then you were punished worse for not facing the punishment you had earned. After the spanking you were then sent to time out until you stopped crying. No hugs or I'm sorry I spanked you. Every once in a while I would hear one of them crying in their bedroom etc afterwards to themselves over having to do it. A small child you pop on the hand/butt because they can't understand a delayed punishment. You can't reason or make a deal with a toddler. They don't understand. As I got older there was no need to spank. I wanted their respect so they just had to show displeasure/disappointment and that was torture to me. Respect is earned. You can't just say respect my authority until they have a full understanding that you without a doubt are the authority.

I can bullshit/blow off anyone but my parents. So when I did bad stuff as an adult I distanced myself from them rather than see their displeasure. It was a huge mistake on my part. I didn't understand the kid to adult transition with your parents. Now that I'm an adult and respect them and have earned their respect back we can be good friends and I can ask for advice. It shames me to ever ever ask for out right help because I fear a loss of their respect that I had to earn by living correctly.

Too many parent's don't kick the kid out of their nest at some point so they can fully learn to fly on their own. If you don't you lose respect for each other.

My mom used to always say I may not always be your friend because I'm your mother first. Even if we hate each other at the moment I love you and it was never in doubt.

Although I agree with most of what you said, I'm not sure that being ashamed to ask for help is a good lesson. I never felt like my parents weren't there for me even when I screwed up royally as a young adult but they didn't use shame as a punishment. Punishment like spanking wasn't for when you made a mistake in learning, it was for when you broke rules that could physically hurt you or someone around you. Like the time I forged my mom's signature and got caught when I was 7 or 8 was not a spanking worthy offense. In fact they laughed at me, talked to me about why it was a bad idea and moved on. Nobody got hurt or could have, they just needed me to understand how and why that could be a bad thing moving forward. I learned through that what I had done wrong and also that when I screw up my parents will be there to guide me in the right direction.

changes in adulthood as it should, now I would consider my mother more friend than parent as my needs for guidance have shifted, hell I think I give her more guidance than the reverse in the last 5 years

Although I agree with most of what you said, I'm not sure that being ashamed to ask for help is a good lesson. I never felt like my parents weren't there for me even when I screwed up royally as a young adult but they didn't use shame as a punishment. Punishment like spanking wasn't for when you made a mistake in learning, it was for when you broke rules that could physically hurt you or someone around you. Like the time I forged my mom's signature and got caught when I was 7 or 8 was not a spanking worthy offense. In fact they laughed at me, talked to me about why it was a bad idea and moved on. Nobody got hurt or could have, they just needed me to understand how and why that could be a bad thing moving forward. I learned through that what I had done wrong and also that when I screw up my parents will be there to guide me in the right direction.

I ask for advice and suggestions from my parents but want to fix my problems on my own. When they see I need help they offer it and I accept it. But I never ask them to do stuff for me if I can help it.

A+ post. A lot of truth here. The anticipation of a spanking was always way worse. And the frowns of disappointment.

Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep on my cock shaped pillow

time out wouldnt have worked for me either.

Hard manual labor did though.

Mouth off? Your ass is going outside to pull weeds (tedious and annoying), shovel snow, dig dirt, whatever. Doesnt matter if its 11pm, i remember being sent out to shovel 200 sqft of snow at midnight and not finishing till 2am because i did something bad.

Im not gonna hit my kids ever, and i wont send them to timeout either, but i will take away their things that they enjoy, and make them work hard to make up for misbehavior.

I ask for advice and suggestions from my parents but want to fix my problems on my own. When they see I need help they offer it and I accept it. But I never ask them to do stuff for me if I can help it.

When I'm in new situations I like asking for advice from people who have had more experience than me. There's nothing wrong with learning from others experience rather than making mistakes that could be avoided by just asking. I like the idea of living in a family that helps each other rather than just this singular entity. I guess that perspective comes from not having a choice anymore though.

When I'm in new situations I like asking for advice from people who have had more experience than me. There's nothing wrong with learning from others experience rather than making mistakes that could be avoided by just asking. .
this is me. And I'll ask the same question to several people. usually you'll get great opinions, but my favs are, 'but you really need to talk to that guy/lady over there.' Most people are dying to help out and would love to offer a well intentioned opinion. Just ask kiki. ;)