WTF The Nike Fuelband - or Why the Mayans Should Have Been Right

The problem isnt that the kid can or cant understand it, its that you're teaching them a bad lesson. Just like if you beat a dog, itll show negative tendancies, if you hit your kid, theyre going to start associating that with how you solve problems, and think that they should solve problems with violence too. In a way, theyre too smart, theyll mimic your behavior, and perhaps not be able to determine what the appropriate situation is like you can as an adult.

I don't believe that's right. I think by a certain age you're capable of assessing situations and dealing with them yourself. I don't believe for a second just because you would smack a child you would smack an adult, it's entirely situational. If my kid was a complete dickhead I might smack his hand. If my co worker is being an ass I'm not about to go up and smack their hand. See the difference?

But when I was a kid you punished the kid on the spot and other parents showed their kid you smacking your kid and let them know that could be you if you misbehaved too. Other parents use to respect the parents that punished the kid as long as they didn't cross the line into abusing the kid. Then nosy people without kids stuck their noses in and assumed all physical punishment of your kid was abuse and tv reinforced that mentality. So now if you do physically punish your kid you remove the kid from public view to do it. The delay in punishment sometimes makes the kid misunderstand the reason for the punishment. A delayed cause and effect.

Some kids understand cause and effect so they don't need to be burned to learn not to touch hot stuff and some kids are heathen morons and stick their hand into a fire to learn they will get burned.
Agreed, and that's how we were dealt with as kids. Instead of a smack (because socially unacceptable) we remove them from public. The result is the same. They can sit in the car and scream themselves hoarse for all I care. As long as it's not in the public place to cause others suffering. At home, a smack is immediate if required. Most of the time sending them to stand in the corner is enough by itself.

I don't see this as a problem in today's society myself. I am not a fan of physical punishment especially in public (the reason in public is worse is that it combines pain and embarrassment the combination can actually be traumatic for a kid and I do not use that word lightly). Physical punishment like spanking or a mild smack upside the head imo is not abuse, I'm just not a fan...anything more than that is abusive. Problem with abuse in a nutshell, is that they are learning not to do something because they fear you or the repercussions; they are not learning the logic behind it only not to do it or else...not only do these lessons tend to be temporary but you are also teaching the kid that this is a proper way of conveying one's point which is not good when they reach teenage and adult years

I will often simply remove them from the situation take them to a place where they can scream all they want without me needing to passify them and thus giving in
We had this same thought process as well. We didn't want to teach the threat of violence as motivation. Gotta keep them on their toes, change up the punishment every once in a while.

I don't believe that's right. I think by a certain age you're capable of assessing situations and dealing with them yourself. I don't believe for a second just because you would smack a child you would smack an adult, it's entirely situational. If my kid was a complete dickhead I might smack his hand. If my co worker is being an ass I'm not about to go up and smack their hand. See the difference?
As adults we see the difference. A child cannot see this and will respond the same regardless of circumstance.

My nephew is a bossy spoiled fucktard. Kids challenge him and he threatens and uses his size (obese) to his advantage. Kid tried to step toe to toe with me and threatened me. Obviously the outcome was not as he intended.

Agreed, and that's how we were dealt with as kids. Instead of a smack (because socially unacceptable) we remove them from public. The result is the same. They can sit in the car and scream themselves hoarse for all I care. As long as it's not in the public place to cause others suffering. At home, a smack is immediate if required. Most of the time sending them to stand in the corner is enough by itself.

people keep asking my wife and i if we use time outs for our son - we really don't. not because i don't believe in them or anything, it's more that he's never done anything bad enough for me to feel like even a time out is justified. we do the same as you when he throws a fit about something, just remove him from the situation, explain why, and leave him to come to grips with it. granted he's only 19 months old (today, lulz), but he always looks me in the eye and at least acts like he's listening when i explain why i'm punishing him.

some kids are way worse than others when it comes to listening and following directions though. my wife's sister's kids are fucking terrible.

and thats because you're an adult, and can make that distinction. Kids cant.

people keep asking my wife and i if we use time outs for our son - we really don't. not because i don't believe in them or anything, it's more that he's never done anything bad enough for me to feel like even a time out is justified. we do the same as you when he throws a fit about something, just remove him from the situation, explain why, and leave him to come to grips with it. granted he's only 19 months old (today, lulz), but he always looks me in the eye and at least acts like he's listening when i explain why i'm punishing him.

some kids are way worse than others when it comes to listening and following directions though. my wife's sister's kids are fucking terrible.
We have a 5 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. The girl at 3 was capable of understanding that type of logic, the boy isn't even close. Gotta use what works for your kid(s). Mine sometimes need a few minutes of reflection.

In the end, you're still removing them from the situation and that's IMHO the part that matters.

I hear you on other people's kids being terrible. Not one public outing happens where I don't feel like smacking some random kid/parent for being a tard. The worst part is that it's not the kid's fault they're a fool, it's the parents for not showing them otherwise.

I hear you on other people's kids being terrible. Not one public outing happens where I don't feel like smacking some random kid/parent for being a tard. The worst part is that it's not the kid's fault they're a fool, it's the parents for not showing them otherwise.

Let me tell you about the nightmares of dating single mothers and seeing how they raise their kids and knowing there isn't a damn thing you could (or should, really, at that point) do about it.

Let me tell you about the nightmares of dating single mothers and seeing how they raise their kids and knowing there isn't a damn thing you could (or should, really, at that point) do about it.
Dated a couple when I was younger. I had a phase where I wanted to be with a more experienced woman. Scary stuff indeed. It's usually apparent why they're a single parent pretty quick.

On the upside, seems like single moms are easier to get naked. I think they feel like they have to make up for having a kid you have to put up with.

Dated a couple when I was younger. I had a phase where I wanted to be with a more experienced woman. Scary stuff indeed. It's usually apparent why they're a single parent pretty quick.

On the upside, seems like single moms are easier to get naked. I think they feel like they have to make up for having a kid you have to put up with.

They are, but at the time I was honestly looking to find someone to settle down with (even more strongly than now), and when I saw their parenting skills, I was all like 'hell no am I running the risk of her raising my kids'. And since I'm not the babbydaddy, or really involved with the caregiving at that point, saying 'you shouldn't do that' ain't my place. So, I moved on. Quickly.

They are, but at the time I was honestly looking to find someone to settle down with (even more strongly than now), and when I saw their parenting skills, I was all like 'hell no am I running the risk of her raising my kids'. And since I'm not the babbydaddy, or really involved with the caregiving at that point, saying 'you shouldn't do that' ain't my place. So, I moved on. Quickly.
Yeah, good luck with that looking to settle down thing. At least you're moving on when the crazy comes out