Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Made a crappy day better working with the kid on a project they're interested in, their Datsun. Got the right front corner back on.

432909029_10160980785389342_3496490997588259001_n.jpg

433416768_10160980785464342_3279624333361459148_n.jpg

Then I did bullshit to get the Audi back together.

messages_0(6).jpeg

Replaced the clamp on the CV boot with one that doesn't suck (oetiker style instead of steel zip tie), cleaned the rest of the mungus out of the wheel well, and loosely bolted everything back up before it started precipitating again.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mean Mr. Mustard
Cause I'm busy and lazy, just had my mobile mechanic drop by and replace the back brakes and rotors on my car. Less than a week ago, I could hear the pad grinding on the rotor. No squeaking or any other warning before that. None. Turns out one of the pads had COMPLETELY worn away with no notice.

Cause I'm busy and lazy, just had my mobile mechanic drop by and replace the back brakes and rotors on my car. Less than a week ago, I could hear the pad grinding on the rotor. No squeaking or any other warning before that. None. Turns out one of the pads had COMPLETELY worn away with no notice.
That means your caliper was stuck.

Either replace or rebuild that caliper.

That means your caliper was stuck.

Either replace or rebuild that caliper.
Not according to my mechanic. Apparently, it was the pad opposite the piston, which he said that he's never seen. Not sure what happened, but he cleaned up the pins and thinks its fine now.

Possibly not selling it now, as I got a quote of $650 to transport it.

Not according to my mechanic. Apparently, it was the pad opposite the piston, which he said that he's never seen. Not sure what happened, but he cleaned up the pins and thinks its fine now.

Possibly not selling it now, as I got a quote of $650 to transport it.
I was gonna say it's $399 on Amtrak but it only goes DC to Orlando these days.

Got the Audi aligned and it opened another can of worms. The bushings in the back are donezo, so I need to replace them and then go back and retry.

Fuckin hell, I was hoping I was done for a while.

The little guy and I put the timing cover back on the Pontiac today.

I showed him how to cheat on the oil pan studs and unwind them into the nuts, then just use a wrench to force them past the oversized oil pan (instead of forcing them past and crossthreading everything), and he was suitably appalled.

Went with a late '68 timing cover to get the 11 bolt water pump (a substantial upgrade over the 8 bolt that came stock in 67).

432773695_10160992287134342_4060143144899537105_n.jpg

The little guy and I put the timing cover back on the Pontiac today.

I showed him how to cheat on the oil pan studs and unwind them into the nuts, then just use a wrench to force them past the oversized oil pan (instead of forcing them past and crossthreading everything), and he was suitably appalled.

Went with a late '68 timing cover to get the 11 bolt water pump (a substantial upgrade over the 8 bolt that came stock in 67).

View attachment 18361
You did what with the oil pan, now?

Ahh.
V8s are so dumb sometimes.

Of course, I may be irritable cause Rosie was a big pink heifer this weekend. More on that in the morning, but it's already in the GRM thread.

Clearance can be a bitch. This one probably doubly so because it's a big old 7 quart milodon pan. Plus, I put a single piece oil pan gasket on, and it fought us when installing the timing cover.

Ok. So.
Master cylinder swap went nice and smoothly.

Got new rubber on the truck. Know the scene in Deadpool 2 where he is walking around on baby legs? Yeahhhh....

Anyways.
It's new rubber at least.

While I was swapping the tires, I figured I would bleed the brakes at the same time.
Rear brakes were speed bleeders that had frozen solid. I hate speed bleeders.
So I move to the front. And the passenger side promptly snaps. Driver's side is just as tight.
Defeated on brakes I move underneath and at least get the shift linkage working enough to move it between gears.

So, now I can move, and I have some fluid in my lines. Do I have enough? I get in, start the truck up, hold the brakes and put it into gear and it promptly falls on its face and dies.
Futz with the idle and such for a bit. At 2k RPM idle it doesn't fall completely on her face, but barely does the thing.

Take a small trip around the field she's parked in, drive her down to an actual parking spot next to Dad's shop and shut her down. Hear boiling coolant and look at the temp gauge, above 230. Sweet.

@CletusJones update above

Brake vleeder that snapped

dLE62vD.jpg

Detective Baby Legs and Detective R-r-regular Legs
sq09RoM.jpg

Linkage. Red means powah.
sB7UTjU.jpg

Storm rolled in. And the thunder rolls.
gc982gA.jpg

Out of the field, next to the shop.
En7XPyZ.jpg

• Gravy