Ontopic The new car-seching thread

sounds like you're making good progress, at least it's at a family place now so you don't have to worry about people fucking with it.

Is that 914 all rotten? why is it under a tarp

I just found out that, if they aren't already upgraded, I can upgrade the front calipers from the JB6 option code to the JB7 which gives you a whopping 0.21875 (or 7/32) more diameter on the piston.
That's over 4 more square inches per caliper
gonna be doin stoppies in no time.

Progress is being made, I'm annoyed at the amount of driving necessary to make such progress, though.

914 was Dad's car in college/Quantico. Long ago it got in a small fire that basically broke the glass and torched the interior. Didn't do any structural damage though.
It's in surprisingly good shape for a roller shell.

There's a Mercedes next to the park where I walk my dogs that's parked there because it caught fire.

Untitled.jpg

The owners are about half a block up the road, and they've decided the best way to address the situation is to put "FOR SALE" signs on the front and back windows.

How in the fuck did the wheel catch fire? Stuck caliper?
I assume so, I'm not purchasing it so I haven't made a close examination, beyond noting that it managed to stop just short of the gas door.

The owners have a passel of these things, all older AMGs (or at least AMG-badged). Like so many that the garage is full, the driveway is full (2 deep), and the sidewalk in front of the house is impassable.

Advanced cam timing by a single tooth on the timing belt in the Audi and got a shitload more vacuum at idle, so I think my builder got it wrong.

I did it based on o-scope readings from the crank and cam sensors, noting that they were just a hair too far away from each other (as counted by the 135 tooth trigger wheel pulses).

Hoping that cleans up hydrocarbons at idle, so that I can get it smogged successfully on Monday.

Audi plays 3-trigger Monte with their timing - there's a shutter wheel with a VR sensor on the cam, a single steel pin on the back of the flywheel with a hall-effect sensor, and a final hall-effect sensor on the flywheel's starter ring with 135 teeth.

When both the cam and the crank read in relatively close proximity, the engine is 55 degrees before top dead center. When just the crank reads, the engine is 55 degrees before bottom dead center.

That's why I was designing that 60-2 trigger wheel for send-cut-send, but ultimately I decided to keep the OE stuff until I can definitively point at it as an issue needing addressing.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly
Got the passenger seat back from the upholsterer, was a little less of a sympathetic restoration than I was hoping for, but I guess the seat bottom will bother me for a few weeks then I won't notice it anymore.

messages_0(5).jpeg

Went back to the dyno after having corrected the trigger offset and the cam timing and made 398HP at 25PSI of bewst on the Audi (before hitting the boost cut up top)

After that, we cut it back to 389HP at 20PSI for the street, since this is supposed to be the safe, 91 octane tune.

geoffdynograph.png

This thing's a hoot to drive.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly and gee
Went back to the dyno after having corrected the trigger offset and the cam timing and made 398HP at 25PSI of bewst on the Audi (before hitting the boost cut up top)

After that, we cut it back to 389HP at 20PSI for the street, since this is supposed to be the safe, 91 octane tune.

View attachment 18394

This thing's a hoot to drive.

You can see the door gaps moving slightly with the power. That thing's bonkers.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I have acquired a 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Limited. I pick it up this afternoon.

Wasn’t too pleased with having to use my truck as a daily driver. Racking up the miles and such. I’d really like to have it for another ten years.

I really wanted a Mini, but talking to a bunch of current owners of the more recent builds, they all seem to have problems with the electronics and broken motor mounts. It was also a full desk more in price.

And prices on Golf R’s are bullshit if you can even find one in stock.

the 90s GIF by absurdnoise

I have acquired a 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Limited. I pick it up this afternoon.

Wasn’t too pleased with having to use my truck as a daily driver. Racking up the miles and such. I’d really like to have it for another ten years.

I really wanted a Mini, but talking to a bunch of current owners of the more recent builds, they all seem to have problems with the electronics and broken motor mounts. It was also a full desk more in price.

And prices on Golf R’s are bullshit if you can even find one in stock.

the 90s GIF by absurdnoise
What's the worry about miles on a truck? Shouldn't that GMC go for a million plus?