Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I want to build a house but when a tiny plot of land would be over 100k and likely closer to 200 it’s def not happening here.

Yeah, I'm fortunate that I have enough space on the existing plot for a new place.

We're within 3 months of paying off the mortgage, so we'll have all that land equity to offset the build cost

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi
I mean, laundry chutes are awesome if they aren't banned in MoCo. Central vac is worth looking at.

Blower door tests are required in AACo I think. We had them on new construction.

Whoever said three phase is tripping. Even if it's AG zoned they'll give you a 600 amp service before they give you a 480/277 line.

I want to build a house but when a tiny plot of land would be over 100k and likely closer to 200 it’s def not happening here.
I don't even think they sell land in the city. You pay ground rent and you only own the building.

I'll have to check on the cost of radiant in slab. We're trying to go with an as-close-to-stock model the builder has as possible, full custom cost too much.

Our house is full custom, but we saved a whole bunch of expense on the engineering side by just keeping it structurally simple as fuck. It's a single floor + the outline is a simple 30x50ish rectangle shape without any protrusions or insets or anything, and it's got a simple two slope roof supported by prefab trusses that only rest on the exterior walls, Going this route saved a ton of engineering cost - the stamped drawings for the house were done by an engineer at the truss company, as if it was a random garage or warehouse or something.

No structural walls inside also decoupled the interior and exterior design from each other, so tweaks like "hey lets move this wall over 1 foot" late in the design didn't require a bunch of engineering work.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
We're probably about to build a new house. What cool things would ya'll integrate?

If they'll let me, I likely will do all the low voltage wiring myself after framing is done.

My current plans:

1) Dedicated server room in the basement with its own air control, where all the wiring drops into
2) cat6a to every room obviously, a number of strategic drops in the ceiling for wireless APs
3) 1 inch smurf tube to strategic locations with fiber optic HDMI or displayport cables as a starting point
4) automated lighting, thinking the cheapest/easiest way is probably still local z-wave/zigbee dimmers. Not going to automate outlets
5) whole house audio pre-wire, including some outside speakers on the deck/enclosed porch
6) Hoping I can get the builder to nerd-out a bit, at extra cost for a really tightly sealed house, would love to be 1ACH50

Treats I did for myself:

- Generator panel to run well pump/lights/HRV/whatever when the lights are out.
- 1" conduit running into the utility room to bring in internet from outside, going to a small shelf above the panel where I've got the router and NAS poked.
- 100A outdoor subpanel on the front of the house. For electric car chargers, plugging in a welder or camper or whatever.
- Conduit running from the wall mount TV boxes to the outlet boxes beneath, to cleanly run HDMI cables and whatever through without cords going down the wall behind the TV.
- 24VAC going to the doors to run doorbell cameras.
- edit: conduit going from panel to roof for eventual solar install.

I thought about running other stuff, but my previous house had speaker wire and coax coming out of half the walls, and I didn't want to end up eventually staring at a bunch of old obsolete CAT6.

That will be a bittersweet moment.
I'll save some stuff, like the 30 foot long 12x12 walnut support beam, some of the original super dense true 2x4s, the 12-14 inch wide diagonal board sheathing. Turn them into a trestle dining table or something.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I'll save some stuff, like the 30 foot long 12x12 walnut support beam, some of the original super dense true 2x4s, the 12-14 inch wide diagonal board sheathing. Turn them into a trestle dining table or something.
You don't have any ageing relatives you might have to bring over in the near future?

Not as cool, but we're about to build a two car garage for the new house, with an area for a workshop. Anything I need to think about?
Sounds obvious, but what exactly do you plan to do in it? That'll determine what you need to think about.

Power outlets everywhere, for one. Good lighting.