Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

So of course I’m entertaining the idea of at least doing some 2.5 gig stuff because nerd.

Serve The Home has reviews on tons of cheap Chinese built 2.5 gig switches with SFP+ ports built in.

It’s trivial to add a USB 3 2.5gb Ethernet adapter to a Synology NAS with a 3rd party driver that’s popular. And my current Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Sabnzb box has plenty of PCI-E slots.

So for like $200 I could do it.

Not @Domon l33t, but not a bad speed boost that I don’t need at all.

So of course I’m entertaining the idea of at least doing some 2.5 gig stuff because nerd.

Serve The Home has reviews on tons of cheap Chinese built 2.5 gig switches with SFP+ ports built in.

It’s trivial to add a USB 3 2.5gb Ethernet adapter to a Synology NAS with a 3rd party driver that’s popular. And my current Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Sabnzb box has plenty of PCI-E slots.

So for like $200 I could do it.

Not @Domon l33t, but not a bad speed boost that I don’t need at all.
Firstoff, servethehome is awesome.

those switches are pretty cool. 2.5gbe for all the shit you dont need really fast, usually 4 SFP+s for fiber or 10gbe (or more 2.5gbe)

As long as you don't completely suck at terminating 10 GBE is not a big deal. Runs under 100 ft. It works really reliably. Even on cat5e. Insertion loss is what kills you, so if you've got good crimping hygiene and connectors all is well

Firstoff, servethehome is awesome.

those switches are pretty cool. 2.5gbe for all the shit you dont need really fast, usually 4 SFP+s for fiber or 10gbe (or more 2.5gbe)

$44 fuckin bucks!

And once I get my Sinology out of the 19 inch rack I'll have room for the BROcade switch. So that cheap shit thing could be just for my servers. Then run an AOC cord back to the rack.

has anyone gone through the process of building a house? I've DIYed things my whole life, and thus had complete control over all the choices, I know I will lose a lot of that buying a house from a pre-existing set of plans that a builder has, but I dont know how much.

Like, do I only get to pick paint colors? I'd like to pick my own light switches as an example, id like interior insulation in certain rooms for sound isolation, etc.

I'm glad to pay extra for these things, but i dont even know if asking for them is an option. Its a smaller builder (aka, not Ryan, Lennar, Koch), but they still build dozens to hundreds of houses off of pre-set plans

$44 fuckin bucks!

And once I get my Sinology out of the 19 inch rack I'll have room for the BROcade switch. So that cheap shit thing could be just for my servers. Then run an AOC cord back to the rack.
holy shit is that a fantastic price for a switch with two SFP+s. Did SoH review that one?

has anyone gone through the process of building a house? I've DIYed things my whole life, and thus had complete control over all the choices, I know I will lose a lot of that buying a house from a pre-existing set of plans that a builder has, but I dont know how much.

Like, do I only get to pick paint colors? I'd like to pick my own light switches as an example, id like interior insulation in certain rooms for sound isolation, etc.

I'm glad to pay extra for these things, but i dont even know if asking for them is an option. Its a smaller builder (aka, not Ryan, Lennar, Koch), but they still build dozens to hundreds of houses off of pre-set plans

Depends entirely on the builder you choose.

I have, twice
Theyll let you pick paint colors from their catalog
And may have options for fixtures & such, but they charge way too much for their shit
I found it better to just let them install their default fixtures/appliances/whatevers, then replace them with what you want at a reasonable price later. Same with the paint.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
If you're doing Z-Wave switches and the like, definitely do that shit yourself. They're installing the 39 cent outlets, just rip them out when you take possession.
thats such a pain in the ass though :( why cant they just install the good shit to begin with.

The wife approval factor of immediately beginning to disassemble a newly built house will be very very low.....

• Haha
Reactions: Valve1138
thats such a pain in the ass though :( why cant they just install the good shit to begin with.

The wife approval factor of immediately beginning to disassemble a newly built house will be very very low.....
Imagine all the garbage you've put up with from previous owners, and then ask yourself if you'd really rather have them do the work you want done.