Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

He said the blockage was about 30' down. Again I find that hard to believe since everything else seemed to work fine. But whatever, he came about an hour after I called him and $300 isn't an insurmountable amount of cash.

Hey @fly did you fix your shitter yet?

christmas vacation GIF by hero0fwar

I would've told you 3ft snakes are about goddamn useless unless you can see the clog tho.

Kinda weird no other dains were slow though.
Not really, as our toilet makes it nearly impossible to use a plunger. I ended up using a toilet brush wrapped in a grocery bag, which sorta worked.

We're probably about to build a new house. What cool things would ya'll integrate?

If they'll let me, I likely will do all the low voltage wiring myself after framing is done.

My current plans:

1) Dedicated server room in the basement with its own air control, where all the wiring drops into
2) cat6a to every room obviously, a number of strategic drops in the ceiling for wireless APs
3) 1 inch smurf tube to strategic locations with fiber optic HDMI or displayport cables as a starting point
4) automated lighting, thinking the cheapest/easiest way is probably still local z-wave/zigbee dimmers. Not going to automate outlets
5) whole house audio pre-wire, including some outside speakers on the deck/enclosed porch
6) Hoping I can get the builder to nerd-out a bit, at extra cost for a really tightly sealed house, would love to be 1ACH50

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
We're probably about to build a new house. What cool things would ya'll integrate?

If they'll let me, I likely will do all the low voltage wiring myself after framing is done.

My current plans:

1) Dedicated server room in the basement with its own air control, where all the wiring drops into
2) cat6a to every room obviously, a number of strategic drops in the ceiling for wireless APs
3) 1 inch smurf tube to strategic locations with fiber optic HDMI or displayport cables as a starting point
4) automated lighting, thinking the cheapest/easiest way is probably still local z-wave/zigbee dimmers. Not going to automate outlets
5) whole house audio pre-wire, including some outside speakers on the deck/enclosed porch
6) Hoping I can get the builder to nerd-out a bit, at extra cost for a really tightly sealed house, would love to be 1ACH50
Conversation pit.
3 phase power in the garage.
Suspended 70s style fireplace

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum

aiVYnCI.jpeg
those ceiling hanging chimineas are actually really fucking cool. If we can afford it, we'll have a "florida room" or screened in porch and itd be awesome to have one of those out there.

Conversation pit.
3 phase power in the garage.
Suspended 70s style fireplace
garage is gonna be a garage. I'll have an equipment building someplace else on the property, and have permission to take a LARGE chunk of the basement for a workshop. I want to be able to just walk downstairs and work on stuff in a nice conditioned space thats convenient.

ooh, adding good sound insulation to my list.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I want good energy monitoring too, but thats trickier to "build in". I think i may just stick with my Emporia vue solution that sits in the panel, although I bet theyre going to annoy me with how they lay out the circuits :(

1" inch smurf tube is tiny for everything you're proposing.

I'd do 2".

Also, go for a residential 400 Amp service, and place your critical loads on one of the 200 Amp panels and the non-critical on the other.

Makes it way easier to add an ATS, or solar or whatever later on.

Definitely do radiant floor heat, even under your concrete slabs wherever you might have them.

1" inch smurf tube is tiny for everything you're proposing.

I'd do 2".

Also, go for a residential 400 Amp service, and place your critical loads on one of the 200 Amp panels and the non-critical on the other.

Makes it way easier to add an ATS, or solar or whatever later on.

Definitely do radiant floor heat, even under your concrete slabs wherever you might have them.

yeah, i want bigger smurf too. Problem is 2 inch smurf in 2x4 walls sucks

I may put a oversize an HVAC chase up the center of the house into the attic, so i can just drop into each room upstairs. Will have to be careful of fire code though.

Thats what ive got right now, and its slightly less efficient from a wire run length perspective, but dropping down stuff from the attic, especially pre-insulation is so much easier.

400 will be easy, the pole is really close to the new house site, good call.

I'll have to check on the cost of radiant in slab. We're trying to go with an as-close-to-stock model the builder has as possible, full custom cost too much.

But that adds something else to my list too. I want pex home runs to all water locations. And spigots on all sides of the house.

why is 2” in a 2x4 interior wall an issue?

Drain pipes are bigger.

My hvac chase is open on both ends. It’s how I ran the cat 6 for the one ceiling AP on the second floor up from the basement. Which amply covers the whole second floor.
Yeah, that doesn't fly with modern fire code unfortunately. Gotta have it completely fire stopped at both ends.

Will see what I can figure out