Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Treats I did for myself:

- Generator panel to run well pump/lights/HRV/whatever when the lights are out.
- 1" conduit running into the utility room to bring in internet from outside, going to a small shelf above the panel where I've got the router and NAS poked.
- 100A outdoor subpanel on the front of the house. For electric car chargers, plugging in a welder or camper or whatever.
- Conduit running from the wall mount TV boxes to the outlet boxes beneath, to cleanly run HDMI cables and whatever through without cords going down the wall behind the TV.
- 24VAC going to the doors to run doorbell cameras.
- edit: conduit going from panel to roof for eventual solar install.

I thought about running other stuff, but my previous house had speaker wire and coax coming out of half the walls, and I didn't want to end up eventually staring at a bunch of old obsolete CAT6.
That still came out to around 300 a square foot. Went with a 40x40 two story with full span trusses, but the fact that it wasn't a plan from a book made it really expensive

The only thing that needs hardwiring these days, other than something without wifi, Hue hubs for example, are Access Points, your server/NAS, and POE cameras.

If your WiFi can't handle 4k video you've got other issues.
I probably can get away with far less since ill have everything centralized in a rack.

For the new Nerd Lair, I've already got 4x Cat 6 and 2x Cat 5e I ran for the Mancave setup back in the day that come down in my corner Nerd Lair Closet.

So out of those I'll use two from my Sinology NAS, one for my Mac mini that runs Scrypted, and one for a Unifi U6 Mesh I already have.

Should be all set with that. Printer is wifi, gaming rig has WiFi 6 built in to the motherboard, Apple TV is WiFi.

For the new Nerd Lair, I've already got 4x Cat 6 and 2x Cat 5e I ran for the Mancave setup back in the day that come down in my corner Nerd Lair Closet.

So out of those I'll use two from my Sinology NAS, one for my Mac mini that runs Scrypted, and one for a Unifi U6 Mesh I already have.

Should be all set with that. Printer is wifi, gaming rig has WiFi 6 built in to the motherboard, Apple TV is WiFi.
Yeah, but what you do when you need fiber to the Apple TV for transfer speeds?!?!?!?!

wifi7 is pretty kickass, that might finally be performant enough for me to consider moving heavy load physical devices to it

• Haha
Reactions: fly