Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I put in a farmhouse style one in my kitchen, but I built a full on cradle for it built into the cabinets, so its not hanging from clips or adhesive, but rather resting on a 1x3 hardwood frame

If i ever have to remove it, since its farmhouse style with no countertop in front of it, I can slide it forward off the frame if i ever need to remove
Isn't that just called 'the way its done'?

Asked my builder. My undermount sinks are glued onto my engineered stone countertops with PL620. They glued on epoxy anchors first and let those dry, then glued the sink and clamped it to the countertop with the anchors.

And there's easily 100 square inches of contact area between the sink and the countertop, and PL620 is good for 500psi apparently... so it looks like I can park a car in the sink and I'll be fine. And hopefully I'll never have to take a sink out...

Good to know you can use your sink for a car wash.
I have no plans on washing my car in my sink, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Jehannum's sink failure happened while he was scrubbing an old engine block or something in there.

Also, good news! my water treatment package went in a couple days ago, and the boil water order for my house is no more!

I have no plans on washing my car in my sink, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Jehannum's sink failure happened while he was scrubbing an old engine block or something in there.

Also, good news! my water treatment package went in a couple days ago, and the boil water order for my house is no more!

Mad Max GIF

I'm not sure what happened, I think maybe Frank stepped into the sink while we were doing the plumbing work to replace the polybutylene.

Because of the poor installations throughout the house in general, I've been itching to get rid of this thing. First and foremost, they didn't bother to put a support under the granite there at the front lip, so there's a crack that developed right in the middle of the granite before I realized that it wasn't installed correctly (and I did correct that with some hardwood planed to the appropriate dimensions).

I've done my best to do repairs and replacements correctly, but man, it'd be nice to just find one thing done well, as a treat.

I have a garage sink for fuckin' around with engine blocks and shit though. Installed by ME.

(cue Valve coming in to kick me while I'm down again)

I mean, that sink is an odd shape, so possibly new countertops. And you need new cabinets anyway, just on GP. :p
I think I'm going to cheat and get this sink, which will cover up all of the previous sins with only me cutting up a little bit of counter and cabinet (none of which will be a reveal):

Last edited:
I dont mine top mount, what I dislike are divided basins
I just need one big basin to pile dirty dishes in thx
Sucks for rinsing but I agree most kitchen sinks are undersized. I had one of those two tub restaurant sinks in my house that we grabbed off the street. We didnt have cabinets though.

The counter just always gets gross around the sink. Technically an undermount does too, but its nowhere near as obvious. And agreed on the single basin.

I like the look of the corian counters with the sink molded in but you have to do that in advance, obviously, and youll be stuck with it forever so youd better like it from the get-go

Undermount sinks suck. They usually at least have brackets though. Just adhesive is extreme corner cutting.

Farmhouse sink is gonna start at $1500, better pick out one you love.
I think it was 220, huge 36 inch tank stainless, nice thick gauge and high quality stainless too

I think it was 220, huge 36 inch tank stainless, nice thick gauge and high quality stainless too
He said porcelain which I took to mean enameled cast iron. I guess there are cheaper options.

My last experience homebuilding was high end houses and the quality difference isn't just in the price. There is a certain solidity (for lack of a better term), like in many antiques, in a higher end fixtures that just isn't present in hardware store grade stuff.

Speaking of there is an entire market of old architectural fixtures that have a similar appeal.