Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Also because the existing providers have worked to keep the markets they're in completely devoid of competition by making poles and infrastructure completely inaccessible.
Can you expand on that? If you want to compete as an ISP, of course you have to build your own infrastructure. What am I missing?

My point was that it will probably @gee's ISP many thousands of dollars to get them hooked up, which will take many years to recoup - even with full adoption.

Can you expand on that? If you want to compete as an ISP, of course you have to build your own infrastructure. What am I missing?

My point was that it will probably @gee's ISP many thousands of dollars to get them hooked up, which will take many years to recoup - even with full adoption.
This is why the ISPs in my area got subsidized with government funds to build out high speed infrastructure.

Small matter of "they got paid to do it, but didn't do it, and now want to get paid again to actually do it" in my case.

How many of your neighbors would running the line enable to get Internet?
On this side of the road, two existing houses including mine, and two empty building lots adjacent to mine. The one uphill from me was sold recently and they've had surveyors out for a new build.

Opposite side of the road is a cow field, if it gets sold off then there's minimum 4 lots over there too.

Cable has to run 4 pole spans to get from the top of the road to service everyone.

Sure. Comcast and DSL providers have fought for years to keep competition off "their" poles when it comes to competing infrastructure.

And ISPs are given millions of municipal, county, state, and federal dollars to roll out infrastructure to the areas they're intended to service.

So a couple friends recently put their houses up for sale, one for $1M and one for $10M. Both got all cash offers in <3 days.

Ours went up on Friday. We're at a much lower price point and have not been as lucky. No offers yet. :(

So a couple friends recently put their houses up for sale, one for $1M and one for $10M. Both got all cash offers in <3 days.

Ours went up on Friday. We're at a much lower price point and have not been as lucky. No offers yet. :(
It's all the crappy DIY. :p Dont worry youll get an offer from a poperty management company in China. They buy everything around here.

Raise your price.

Perceived value is a weird thing.
It's already way higher than I expected. It will sell, it will just take a bit more time. Even at this point, our house is priced as a 'starter' house around here. Those people have to be a bit more cautious with their money.

...and it hasn't even been a week.

so, to make me feel even worse about the market in this region... whats a starter house in florida go for?

oh shit, even florida is pricey now. Guessing you paid sub-200 for the place?

People who make lower wages are absolutely fucked.

Ours is $490k
Townhomes/Condos in semi detached communities start at 700k in the Annapolis/Glen Burnie area. Baltimore varies practically by which block you are on but those nice renovated rowhouses in Charles Village are like 800k. Brooklyn Park/Dundalk are like the only vaguely affordable areas and they're.... Well there are ALOT of junkies.

Townhomes/Condos in semi detached communities start at 700k in the Annapolis/Glen Burnie area. Baltimore varies practically by which block you are on but those nice renovated rowhouses in Charles Village are like 800k. Brooklyn Park/Dundalk are like the only vaguely affordable areas and they're.... Well there are ALOT of junkies.
prices are slightly better once you go north towards the PA border, or way south below 50, but thats a hell of a drive for most people. West is just universally pricey all the way out to west va.