Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

@Valve1138 Tell me about HomeKit. I have some friends who are building an expensive new house. They're getting quoted like 20k for HA shit, but think its way more than they care about - as they aren't technical at all. All they care about is being able to play music in different rooms. I assume this kind of shit is easy in the Apple ecosphere? Other than they'll probably need some huge zoned amp.

@Valve1138 Tell me about HomeKit. I have some friends who are building an expensive new house. They're getting quoted like 20k for HA shit, but think its way more than they care about - as they aren't technical at all. All they care about is being able to play music in different rooms. I assume this kind of shit is easy in the Apple ecosphere? Other than they'll probably need some huge zoned amp.
control4 shit for 20k a room most likely

Just get a bunch of Airplay 2 capable speakers like Sonos, or Homepod Minis.

I assume it would actually need to be multi-zoned, since there will be more than one channel per zone. Suggestions? I mean even if the amp is $5k, they'd still be saving money...

Then add the in-room volume controls if the wiring is set up that way. Knob on the wall.

There are amps, volume controls, and shit off the rack just for this. Go look at Monoprice.

Then add the in-room volume controls if the wiring is set up that way. Knob on the wall.

There are amps, volume controls, and shit off the rack just for this. Go look at Monoprice.
Having a knob on the wall seems janky to me. But I guess I'll need to see their exact requirements first.

any system you set up like that is gonna be straight outta the 80s. Modern systems rely on room locality awareness and voice control, hence why alexas/sonos/etc all have mics

I really dont see a straightforward way to have a modern system if all the speakers are hardwired back to a central closet someplace

yeah, this could work.

a bunch of these

in a rack

This shit is gonna age so terribly, like all those nonfunctional intercoms still stuck on people's houses. Put some stupid "smart" interface in front of a regular-ass amp wired to the speakers, then they won't be locked into some ecosystem.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum