Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Agreed. It took me an extra 3 seconds to figure it out. :p
You expected the 'Spergers here to understand it and not nitpick it to death, though?

shocked ron burgundy GIF

*looks at readings again, ignoring kW number*

yeah, if the light pulls 13.8W, that sounds right.

That thingy shouldn't be getting as hot as it does. If you completely disconnect the load from it and just power it off an extension cord with the end cut off or whatever, does it still get hot?

I really think it's just cause it's in a small black enclosure, with no airflow, in the sun. The sun is down now and they're both running about 70C, which is apparently about 'normal' for these things.

The single relay Shelly apparently doesn't have this issue. Probably just have to switch it out.

I tried flashing back to Tasmota or the Shelly firmware but they're all too big to flash OTA. #FML

Got sick of the water hammer clunk when the sump pump shuts off and the one-way valve closes, so I built a little "surge tank" experiment.

The extra chamber off to the side is filled with air and acts as an air spring, absorbing the shock.

Dead quiet now. Pleased with my dumb idea.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Got sick of the water hammer clunk when the sump pump shuts off and the one-way valve closes, so I built a little "surge tank" experiment.

The extra chamber off to the side is filled with air and acts as an air spring, absorbing the shock.

Dead quiet now. Pleased with my dumb idea.
Awesome idea!! My previous house the sump would activate about once an hour. Slightly annoying.
"Gee - he plumbs for extra girth"
Schitts Creek Win GIF by CBC

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
So I bricked my Shelly trying to revert it to Tasmota. Had to pull it and flash via UART. It now has Tasmota on it and is running just as hot. I asked about it on the ESPHome Discord and some seemingly knowledgeable person replied that it might some malfunctioning decoupling capacitors. :(

I could design one, but getting all the certs to have the thing connected to AC mains and sell it is $$$. Unless someone wants to give me ~100k to go through that bullshit.

Maybe the companies that make this shit should give a fuck, instead.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
I could design one, but getting all the certs to have the thing connected to AC mains and sell it is $$$. Unless someone wants to give me ~100k to go through that bullshit.

Maybe the companies that make this shit should give a fuck, instead.
theyre all china companies that dont get shit UL or CE certified.