Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

This shit is gonna age so terribly, like all those nonfunctional intercoms still stuck on people's houses. Put some stupid "smart" interface in front of a regular ass amp wired to the speakers, then they won't be locked into some ecosystem.
That's exactly what this is. Except you can't just a regular, ass amp, because there aren't enough zones.

This shit is gonna age so terribly, like all those nonfunctional intercoms still stuck on people's houses. Put some stupid "smart" interface in front of a regular ass amp wired to the speakers, then they won't be locked into some ecosystem.
Yeah, power plugs in the wall are gonna be there for pretty much ever (unless we start putting LV systems in).

That's exactly what this is. Except you can't just a regular, ass amp, because there aren't enough zones.
yeah, the ideal would be a box that could be "smart", and tell a regular ass amp which zone to use. I cant seem to find that.

All I can think of in this convo is my parents' house, which has shitty speakers built into the walls using the stud bays as baffles and stupid little knobs on the wall that control volume. IDK what even feeds them except for the intercom (another '80s-tastic thing).

My kids run through the house, turn them all up, and then go to the intercom on the front door and play "VOICE OF GOD" with the house.

Or Sonos. You're building the same thing here...
I'm assuming the Sonos uses some proprietary shit that will be outdated and unsupported within a decade or two. As "janky" as volume knobs would be they always fucking work, no worries about some server somewhere going down. Complexifying the backend for a minimalist look is no good. You can plug a brand new regular-ass speaker into a 50yo amp and it just fucking works.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
I'm assuming the Sonos uses some proprietary shit that will be outdated and unsupported within a decade or two. As "janky" as volume knobs would be they always fucking work, no worries about some server somewhere going down. Complexifying the backend for a minimalist look is no good. You can plug a brand new regular-ass speaker into a 50yo amp and it just fucking works.
A speaker system that will be outdated in 20 years. Say it aint so!

• Gravy
So I think I 'fixed' my Shelly issue. I disabled the webserver, and more importantly, made sure that the one that's in the sun waits until the sun goes down before turning on the bulb. I think it was the combination of CFL transformer + shelly in small, black, enclosed space was tripping the temp protection. Now the temps are more normal.

1614707421299.png

So I think I 'fixed' my Shelly issue. I disabled the webserver, and more importantly, made sure that the one that's in the sun waits until the sun goes down before turning on the bulb. I think it was the combination of CFL transformer + shelly in small, black, enclosed space was tripping the temp protection. Now the temps are more normal.

View attachment 13792
Couldn't you put a little umbrella over it to protect it from the sun if the case color is the issue?

You could even put a monocle on it so that he'd look like a proper little gentleman while he kills the mosquitos.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fly
A speaker system that will be outdated in 20 years. Say it aint so!

HEY BRO WANNA COME LISTEN TO MY BOSE 901S?
As jeh (unwittingly?) pointed out, that really only happens when you buy into some overdesigned, overmarketed "hot new thing". Nobody is gonna notice that some amps in a closet are outdated, unless they stop functioning because their manufacturer isn't making a profit off of them anymore.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
(Don't actually buy Behringer)

In 20 years the Sonos amp will be a $650 brick, whereas a plain-jane amp will still take a line level signal and amplify it.

• Gravy
As jeh (unwittingly?) pointed out, that really only happens when you buy into some overdesigned, overmarketed "hot new thing". Nobody is gonna notice that some amps in a closet are outdated, unless they stop functioning because their manufacturer isn't making a profit off of them anymore.
You're welcome to assist in finding this unicorn!

rainbow unicorn GIF by ali mac

then you swap out the sonos amps in your multimedia cabinet.

going speakers with built in SONOS would be a bad idea by your logic though