Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Wow.

Jehannum- True energy independence on a personal level. Power in the bank. Future-proofed against foreseeable mainstreaming of new technologies. Positive impact on the environment today and for years to come.

Fly- You're doing it all wrong, you could squeeze an extra 3 nickels out of maintaining the status quo.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum and nukes
if im generating power for the power company, they had better be paying me market supplier rates for it. Jenkums agreement sounds like the biggest scam in history

if im generating power for the power company, they had better be paying me market supplier rates for it. Jenkums agreement sounds like the biggest scam in history

The power is "in the bank" so to speak, like having a credit on your bill. I'm sure somebody is making something off it somewhere but you guys talk as if he's slaving away just giving power to his corporate overlords.

The independence and taking your own consumption out of the power plant has value. To some, a lot of value.

Let's look at it a different way.

I can sign onto the way you suggest, and get 2¢ per KWH I feed back into the grid, and then pay 17¢ per KWH I pull out of it, or I can store away the overage in a 1 for 1 agreement. That would mean I'd have made $100 in the 2 years my system's been online, assuming every single month I made an overage (that's not the case).

The 1 for 1 is called "net metering", and I have no problem with it at all.

I pay $8 per month to stay connected to the grid (which I have no problem with), and when I have to shut off my system to replace the roof, I dip into the overage. Or if I get a traditional AC (instead of my swamp cooler). Or if I get an electric car.

Last edited:
Wow.

Jehannum- True energy independence on a personal level. Power in the bank. Future-proofed against foreseeable mainstreaming of new technologies. Positive impact on the environment today and for years to come.

Fly- You're doing it all wrong, you could squeeze an extra 3 nickels out of maintaining the status quo.
Fly's just mad that I don't believe the made up bullshit he spouts about cryptocurrencies. He and I disagree on a fundamental level about lots of things, but generally I just let it go in favor of poking with a stick every once in a while.

that 2 cents a kwh seems a really bad price. All the other net metering systems i was able to look up quickl;y have a payout option at roughly 50% of consumer delivered pricing. IE, you bank it up, and then once a year you can get paid out for it at 50% of what you would pay normally. Generally between 5-8 cents a kwh.

that 2 cents a kwh seems a really bad price. All the other net metering systems i was able to look up quickl;y have a payout option at roughly 50% of consumer delivered pricing. IE, you bank it up, and then once a year you can get paid out for it at 50% of what you would pay normally. Generally between 5-8 cents a kwh.
Well, 2¢ a KWH is the reality of my situation.

And 17¢ is also the reality with all the taxes and fees rolled in.

actually, the reality is even worse. 1/4¢ per KWH on a system < 10KW, and a $150 non-refundable application fee. It was 2¢ a KWH some years ago when I was at the other house, looking into it.

The 2 cents doesn't seem terrible to me, considering you have the 1 for 1 as an alternative. The stuff at 2c you don't have to deliver, maintain lines, resell (and suffer some current loss along the way). And like you indicated, you didn't really run into that , so all your 141 action was saving you the 17/kwh.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and Jehannum
I simply want to take my $170 monthly electric bill and have it go away. I'd be willing to ante up about 10 grand to make that happen using solar.

If I actually owned a house I would've gone that way a long time ago. At least some sort of starter system you could expand and add capacity to when you can. At least not being wholly dependent on the grid if not someday being completely free of it would be wonderful. If I did end up making a little extra power here and there I wouldn't even care if I gave it away. Can throw an extension cord to the neighbor or something.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
That’s why you want batteries with your solar!
I'm looking at this for basics on a simple 1 or 2 panel setup with enough battery to let me work up to 6ish hrs a day (if needed) on a laptop. (laptop with headset/signal amplifier/phone charger/1 LED light if it's too dark out) so I can do extended camping trips.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138