Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

id be curious about a CAES (compressed air) system if i did solar. Use your excess power to charge up a compressed air tank, which then is released to spin a turbine and provide power when you need it.

If i had good elevation, a water pump system to store potential energy higher up would be good too.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
So what's my initial investment?

Gonna be area specific. Your state and probably city and/or power company gonna have all kinds different regs and incentives and cost structures.

Jeha or others be of more help with actual equipment needs and costs.

I know a guy who DIY'd his place but that's out in BFE where there pretty much are no regs. Literally off-grid as in there are no power lines going out there. If you're gonna go that route you'll also need at least 10 years worth of freeze-dried food and a pallet of ammunition. Oh and some working knowledge of electricity.

He has a generator or two for emergencies buy they get run more for routine maintenance than they do to make needed power. More often the system will bleed a little off to ground when it's overproducing.

Gonna be area specific. Your state and probably city and/or power company gonna have all kinds different regs and incentives and cost structures.

Jeha or others be of more help with actual equipment needs and costs.

I know a guy who DIY'd his place but that's out in BFE where there pretty much are no regs. Literally off-grid as in there are no power lines going out there. If you're gonna go that route you'll also need at least 10 years worth of freeze-dried food and a pallet of ammunition. Oh and some working knowledge of electricity.

He has a generator or two for emergencies buy they get run more for routine maintenance than they do to make needed power. More often the system will bleed a little off to ground when it's overproducing.
off grid aint apolocypse. You can still drive into town to get supplies.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer
Fly's just mad that I don't believe the made up bullshit he spouts about cryptocurrencies. He and I disagree on a fundamental level about lots of things, but generally I just let it go in favor of poking with a stick every once in a while.
As do I, hence the suggestion again that you start mining. :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
So the Arduino project that @gee helped me build to control my garage door with our SmartShit appears to have died. :( The contact sensor that determines if the the door is open or closed just flaps constantly.

I don't look forward to trying to solder again, so I may have @APRIL give it a try.

So the Arduino project that @gee helped me build to control my garage door with our SmartShit appears to have died. :( The contact sensor that determines if the the door is open or closed just flaps constantly.

I don't look forward to trying to solder again, so I may have @APRIL give it a try.
@APRIL hasn't had much luck with other things flapping constantly, so I think you're probably out of luck.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly