Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

So(curious), how would this banking work if there was a major storm or something else that interrupted the grid?

*We use 900-1500 kwh/month. 2800 square feet, 2 tvs, several computers and 5 kilns. People might call BS because they know somebody that does pottery who moans about the electric. Glasswork uses a lot less. Like maybe 1/5-1/8, depending. Mainly due to better insulating materials and there being no need to "cook" glass".
Kiln requires serious current. I lived with a (failing) commercial Potter for a decade.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
So(curious), how would this banking work if there was a major storm or something else that interrupted the grid?

*We use 900-1500 kwh/month. 2800 square feet, 2 tvs, several computers and 5 kilns. People might call BS because they know somebody that does pottery who moans about the electric. Glasswork uses a lot less. Like maybe 1/5-1/8, depending. Mainly due to better insulating materials and there being no need to "cook" glass".
It only comes out if you produce less than you use in a month. I've had it happen on cloudy months, once or twice.

Individuals producing power have to abide by anti-islanding laws (you can't be feeding power back into the grid when there's no power out there) in order to protect the workers who go out to fix the outages (feeding power back into the grid while the grid's down = electrocuted workers).

So, with that in mind, if the grid's down, my system goes offline and stops producing electricity, so I'm neither producing nor consuming electricity besides what's in my UPS batteries.

When the grid comes back up, if it's cloudy and I'm underproducing, I might draw a little bit off of the grid, but the system's purely based on reading the meter. If KWH reading on the meter at the end of the month < KWH reading on the meter at the beginning of the month, then I've overproduced and it goes 1:1 into my net metering account. If I under produce, it comes 1:1 out of my net metering account.

I'm usually between 400KWH and 600KWH consumption. It goes up in the summer with my swamp cooler. In August, it was nearly 1000KWH.

It only comes out if you produce less than you use in a month. I've had it happen on cloudy months, once or twice.

Individuals producing power have to abide by anti-islanding laws (you can't be feeding power back into the grid when there's no power out there) in order to protect the workers who go out to fix the outages (feeding power back into the grid while the grid's down = electrocuted workers).

So, with that in mind, if the grid's down, my system goes offline and stops producing electricity, so I'm neither producing nor consuming electricity besides what's in my UPS batteries.

When the grid comes back up, if it's cloudy and I'm underproducing, I might draw a little bit off of the grid, but the system's purely based on reading the meter. If KWH reading on the meter at the end of the month < KWH reading on the meter at the beginning of the month, then I've overproduced and it goes 1:1 into my net metering account. If I under produce, it comes 1:1 out of my net metering account.

I'm usually between 400KWH and 600KWH consumption. It goes up in the summer with my swamp cooler. In August, it was nearly 1000KWH.
Still should be mining coins. :p

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138

Yeah, those transfer switchs to protect the workers are so important. The 'tard who lived here before me did something really stupid in that regard - wired a male 240 plug to a length of 6 gauge wire directly to the two rails of the box so he could plug that into his generator if the power was down. Sure he could pull the main breaker manually to protect the workers. But imagine, a live 240 MALE plug with it's prongs just fucking hanging there in the air 24/7. *He lit me up good shortly after I moved here due to his shoddy ty-in of an auxiliary fan in the basement drop ceiling. He reversed hot with neutral and had the whole ceiling grid hot AF. A solid argument for never buying an aluminum step ladder.

Yeah, those transfer switchs to protect the workers are so important. The 'tard who lived here before me did something really stupid in that regard - wired a male 240 plug to a length of 6 gauge wire directly to the two rails of the box so he could plug that into his generator if the power was down. Sure he could pull the main breaker manually to protect the workers. But imagine, a live 240 MALE plug with it's prongs just fucking hanging there in the air 24/7. *He lit me up good shortly after I moved here due to his shoddy ty-in of an auxiliary fan in the basement drop ceiling. He reversed hot with neutral and had the whole ceiling grid hot AF. A solid argument for never buying an aluminum step ladder.
I had an amplifier like that. The engineer re-engineered my Lafayette amp into a big computer rack box made a power cord that was male to male with the female being on the amplifier itself. He thought it very important to tell me to remember to plug the amplifier side in first LOL. Very bad idea.

Let me be clear on this "coin" bullshit. They're going to be worth nothing in the long run, their power consumption is unjustifiable, and I will never "mine" any of it. I put the solar panels on my roof to help save the world, not enable another vicious cycle of consumerism.

Let me be clear on this "coin" bullshit. They're going to be worth nothing in the long run, their power consumption is unjustifiable, and I will never "mine" any of it. I put the solar panels on my roof to help save the world, not enable another vicious cycle of consumerism.
Alternative currency would be a very good idea if it was backed by something. Replacing one fiat currency with another fiat currency is yet again Financial masturbation.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Instead you're stockpiling energy reserves that you'll never use. Your power company thanks you for lining their pockets with free money!

You must admit that it seems unlikely that you'll use all these power credits you have, right? Now lets take a logical leap...
Solar installations degrade with time, and while I can't foresee all the options, I certainly don't see my power appetite decreasing in the future. It would take a single Tesla to wipe out all of that surplus.

In the meantime, it's not like the credits expire or disappear, and each KWH I pump out that doesn't get sold to idiots like you "mining" fake-ass dollars helps decrease the carbon emissions of coal and natural gas powerplants.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer