NSFW The Exercise Thread

I was up in Cambridge, Maryland this last weekend which just happened to have an Ironman going on. Struck up a conversation with this dude who told me about all the jellyfish stings you'll get during the swim portion.

Fuck that.
did he also mention that the jellyfish swarms lure in tiger sharks that eat them?

• Haha
Reactions: fly
I was up in Cambridge, Maryland this last weekend which just happened to have an Ironman going on. Struck up a conversation with this dude who told me about all the jellyfish stings you'll get during the swim portion.

Fuck that.
You sure "jellyfish sting" isnt some kind of gay euphemism?

Also I’ll have to work up to a mile. Took me 32 min to do the half today.
Yeah, that set I posted is the one I use on people who are absolutely adamant about "It's gonna take soooooo long to do".

For breast stroke technique, I recommend working timing (2 kicks per pull), distance per stroke (3 count glide), and undulation (breaststroke pull/butterfly kick). Each of those probably has a dozen youtube vidjas to explain it, but the basic goal of any drill is to help you be a lazier swimmer and extract more motion from less input energy.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi
Yeah, that set I posted is the one I use on people who are absolutely adamant about "It's gonna take soooooo long to do".

For breast stroke technique, I recommend working timing (2 kicks per pull), distance per stroke (3 count glide), and undulation (breaststroke pull/butterfly kick). Each of those probably has a dozen youtube vidjas to explain it, but the basic goal of any drill is to help you be a lazier swimmer and extract more motion from less input energy.
I’ll def look into this. I can swim but have never had official stroke training outside basic swim lessons and never did anything competitive (didn’t exist in small town Utah).

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I’ll def look into this. I can swim but have never had official stroke training outside basic swim lessons and never did anything competitive (didn’t exist in small town Utah).
was that because theres no water on the surface of the sun?

There are two basic camps for breaststroke technique. I like to think of them as the @APRIL and @TuhMollie schools. The APRILs swim flat as a pancake, no undulation at all. The Maureens are basically doing butterfly, there's so much lift and dive.

IDK what you are, as I've never seen you swim, but they're both good for working out, and they're both represented at the highest levels of sport. It's just about what's comfortable for you. I'm an APRIL personally, but I've coached both.

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
There are two basic camps for breaststroke technique. I like to think of them as the @APRIL and @TuhMollie schools. The APRILs swim flat as a pancake, no undulation at all. The Maureens are basically doing butterfly, there's so much lift and dive.

IDK what you are, as I've never seen you swim, but they're both good for working out, and they're both represented at the highest levels of sport. It's just about what's comfortable for you. I'm an APRIL personally, but I've coached both.
Ive always had the latter. Your kick being strong enough to propel you outta the water. Take a lot of energy to be honest, but its fast

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum

Im probably more an April. I never learned butterfly and can’t swim that stroke for the life of me.

@Jehannum i had no idea how bad I was handicapping myself. I watched a couple stroke videos when I googled your drills. Made a couple changes.

Monday numbers:
32:01 min
900 yards
Avg pace/strokes
3’33”/128
390 calories

today:
27:46 min
1000 yards
Avg pace/strokes
2’46”/67
271 calories

I’m sure there’s more I could improve but dang. Maybe I can get to that full mile after all. That was with just swimming normal, no drills.

When I was running this morning, a fire truck passed by the big open space I run around, sirens blaring. That set the coyotes off, and they were howling up a storm, which made Scout really really want to run off into the dark.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
So I'm now down below 60:00 for my 5 mile runs each morning. Coming in about 55:00 (left at 5:10AM, came back at 6:05AM), but I figure I can chop a couple minutes off of that for the ridiculously long traffic light I have to wait for on the way back down.

Feels good man.

So I'm now down below 60:00 for my 5 mile runs each morning. Coming in about 55:00 (left at 5:10AM, came back at 6:05AM), but I figure I can chop a couple minutes off of that for the ridiculously long traffic light I have to wait for on the way back down.

Feels good man.
That's awesome. How many days a week do you run?

OMG we're like Derp brothers. I run Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday!
I used to do resistance training on Tues/Thurs, but my membership with the Jewish Community Center lapsed (on account of the swim team moving to the YMCA). I'll rejoin the Y soon enough, I'm just waiting for Lily to turn 13, so they can do the indoctrination and go with me.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly