NSFW The Exercise Thread

Not if you follow a proper diet/eating plan and don't try to bulk up by overeating. Cardio is only essential if you want to speed up the fat cutting process.

That being said putting on muscle is a slow process so it's better to make it a lifestyle rather than using it to chase a particular result.
I like hiking for that reason - I like to go foraging for wild plants and mushrooms and the workout is a natural part of it. Gardening the same.
It's a good day when I have to claw my way up a few hillsides on all 4. In the rain. :) *Long as it isn;'t too f'n cold. **I'm 61.

• Gravy
Reactions: Music&Chill
I like hiking for that reason - I like to go foraging for wild plants and mushrooms and the workout is a natural part of it. Gardening the same.
It's a good day when I have to claw my way up a few hillsides on all 4. In the rain. :) *Long as it isn;'t too f'n cold. **I'm 61.
I'm kind of impartial to cardio these days as I've become acutely aware that lifting weights and following a proper diet is all I need to do in order to remain fit.

That being said, when I do give myself a 3 or 4 day stint off weight training I essentially go on weekend trips with friends which entails a lot of walking. But I'm only doing it to spend time with people I care about - not chase a goal of a certain body weight or body fat percentage.

I'm only 27 (28 later this month) so you'll have to put that into perspective. I was a lot less fit 6 months ago however and what made me want to make a change is the fact I was struggling to keep up with my friends when they were walking/doing cardio. I was 6 foot 183 so I thought I was "healthy" but in reality... I was skinny fat.

I'm well on my way to fixing that. I'm down to 167 but I appear just as "big" as I was then due to the muscle I've put on.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Cardio and strength training are equally important. I was way more into cardio a few years ago. On my (relatively) new job, I occasionally have cargo days where I load and unload well over 1000 lbs in and out of the hatchback. Good way to get a fatty heart but a good build.
Both are important.
What's missing in my life now is cardio. I need to make the time 3 times a week to walk vigorously.
And of course the 8 minutes of fantastically mediocre sex...

• Gravy
Standing heart rate is 62. Blood pressure was 125 over something something. Weight is 140 lbs. That being said, I know I'm not in proper cardio shape. Those Sherwin Williams 5 gallon buckets have strengthened my core to the max however. This is the longest span I've ever done physical labor consistently.

• Gravy
Standing heart rate is 62. Blood pressure was 125 over something something. Weight is 140 lbs. That being said, I know I'm not in proper cardio shape. Those Sherwin Williams 5 gallon buckets have strengthened my core to the max however. This is the longest span I've ever done physical labor consistently.
I don't know my blood pressure but my heart rate is sitting at 58 beats per minute.

Cardio and strength training are equally important. I was way more into cardio a few years ago. On my (relatively) new job, I occasionally have cargo days where I load and unload well over 1000 lbs in and out of the hatchback. Good way to get a fatty heart but a good build.
Both are important.
What's missing in my life now is cardio. I need to make the time 3 times a week to walk vigorously.
And of course the 8 minutes of fantastically mediocre sex...
Cardio matters less than weight lifting for me at least as it's the basis for getting a respectable physique without having to weigh very little.

I'm way more diet oriented today than I was in the past. I average out around 2,000 calories a day of good wholesome food with plenty of protein. I drink sugary drinks now and again but I mainly stay away from them and drink water instead.

Weighing your food is an important aspect of getting things right and that's why I use a food scale.

Don't get me wrong, some days I binge eat (I allocate four days a month where I eat to my heart's content) but I rarely exceed 3,000 calories even on those days.

I'm losing body fat at a decent rate but if I wanted to speed things up I'd include cardio.It's not a race for me though and I'm starting to get happy at where I am.

Cardio matters less than weight lifting for me at least as it's the basis for getting a respectable physique without having to weigh very little.

I'm way more diet oriented today than I was in the past. I average out around 2,000 calories a day of good wholesome food with plenty of protein. I drink sugary drinks now and again but I mainly stay away from them and drink water instead.

Weighing your food is an important aspect of getting things right and that's why I use a food scale.

Don't get me wrong, some days I binge eat (I allocate four days a month where I eat to my heart's content) but I rarely exceed 3,000 calories even on those days.

I'm losing body fat at a decent rate but if I wanted to speed things up I'd include cardio.It's not a race for me though and I'm starting to get happy at where I am.
I'm 55 years old. 1700 calories and moderate exercise keep me at a decent BMI.
Lots of high fiber and I control my carbs. Almost zero dairy.
Zero dairy is the goal.

So with you on the food scale. People fool themselves about how much they are eating. I like strength training for strength but yeah, a good physique is nice too. I've usually been around government recommended weight but for a few years here and there, usually during a low period of life. Was cleaning out my closet - I bought some size 42 shorts?! And I remember them :( OMG, disgusting. I'm a 34 now.

So with you on the food scale. People fool themselves about how much they are eating. I like strength training for strength but yeah, a good physique is nice too. I've usually been around government recommended weight but for a few years here and there, usually during a low period of life. Was cleaning out my closet - I bought some size 42 shorts?! And I remember them :( OMG, disgusting. I'm a 34 now.
Yeah, I've got some size 36 jeans lying around that I fit into a few years ago. Before I really got into fitness I wore size 34 jeans/pants but they were fairly snug on my waist.

I've gone down to a 32 since then.

I think everyone during their life gets fat to an extent, there's nothing to be ashamed about. I know I've clocked over 230 at a couple of points in my life and I qualify that as "fat" as I definitely wasn't weight lifting and spent my days being pretty lazy.

For me it depends on whether or not I'm in a relationship. I've been single for a year or so but when I get comfortable I definitely get out of shape.

• Gravy
For me it depends on whether or not I'm in a relationship. I've been single for a year or so but when I get comfortable I definitely get out of shape.
Many people do that (get in shape when looking for someone) - I call that "freshening the bait". Nice difference this time for me - my spouse is on board all the way on changing her eating habits, instead of me changing mine to hers.
Sizes: I'm 6'1" - currently 205, trying to get to 190, no lower. Any lower and it's almost impossible to have the muscle I need on a regular basis. I can jog a mile or fuck for an hour and not die - that's all the cardio I need. :cool:

• Gravy
Many people do that (get in shape when looking for someone) - I call that "freshening the bait". Nice difference this time for me - my spouse is on board all the way on changing her eating habits, instead of me changing mine to hers.
Sizes: I'm 6'1" - currently 205, trying to get to 190, no lower. Any lower and it's almost impossible to have the muscle I need on a regular basis. I can jog a mile or fuck for an hour and not die - that's all the cardio I need. :cool:
It's kind of disconcerting that I'm as light as I was when I was 18 years old. I definitely don't want to weigh any less than 160.

One thing I did find is that when I was in a relationship women would flirt with me no matter what size I was. I think a lot of women don't care as much as we do ourselves about how we appear - although there certainly are outliers.

• Love
It's kind of disconcerting that I'm as light as I was when I was 18 years old. I definitely don't want to weigh any less than 160.

One thing I did find is that when I was in a relationship women would flirt with me no matter what size I was. I think a lot of women don't care as much as we do ourselves about how we appear - although there certainly are outliers.
Personality. and you're comfortable/safe when you're in a relationship. If you're single you can take it too seriously and that cramps your game.
If you can get flirts ( I figure you MUST be flirting too) at 160 you're gonna flirt at 260. My wife says it's all on me, waaaay to prone to talking to strangers. Then they get ideas :lol:

• Love
Personality. and you're comfortable/safe when you're in a relationship. If you're single you can take it too seriously and that cramps your game.
If you can get flirts ( I figure you MUST be flirting too) at 160 you're gonna flirt at 260. My wife says it's all on me, waaaay to prone to talking to strangers. Then they get ideas :lol:
Looking/acting desperate definitely deducts points from attractiveness. I've looked at it from a woman's point of view and it does come off pretty pathetic if a guy comes off as needy.

But there's a fine line there, too. Playing it too cool might make women assume you just aren't interested.

Women can be good at playing it cool even if they do like you or find you attractive so sometimes the beautiful girl you overlook and think you have no chance with is pining away for you.

• Love
hard agree.

two of the big benefits to feeling good about your physique are the obvious one of, it feels good to feel good about yourself, and then the confidence that it can bring you can help in other aspects of your life, including but not limited to dating prospects - confidence is sexy. and chasing the body you think other people want is just going to make you miserable; you can never achieve it because you're always going to be moving the goalposts when reaching the last set doesn't magically fix everything. but chasing the body YOU want, because it makes you feel good to look at yourself, it still won't magically fix everything, but because the goal itself is focused on how you feel about yourself, vs. how [gender(s) to whom you are attracted, as a monolith] feel about you, you can maybe actually achieve it.

and for me, I find that personality and experiences alter my perception of someone's appearance. at a base level, I'm physically attracted to a variety of body types to begin with, but modifiers for things like being funny and kind make you more physically attractive to me. (though obviously if I don't know anything about the person that can't apply).

• Gravy