FYI The end is nigh. A preppers thread for the end.

Well big shit hitting the big fan is another deal.

You should be prepared for more local scenarios though. Natural disasters, a power grid fail that can be repaired in some reasonable amount of time, the resulting food and fuel shortages, municipal water supply getting contaminated, smaller scale civil unrest and looting, shark week, stuff like that.

Remember we run on "just in time delivery". Any city only had about 3 days worth of stuff on the shelves for everybody. It'll be gone by the second day in a panic.
This.

My bag is a backpack that can hold all of that stuff with zero problems. It's quick and easy to grab, I have a blade at the ready that I can take with me, but the fact that I'm in the middle of a giant city area, I don't think I'll have much use for things like filter straws and firewood. I'm ready for a natural disaster, but not a zombie apocalypse.

I have a half length replica samurai sword.
It'll cut the hell out of a watermelon
I used to have a replica samurai sword.

It was a pile of shit and the blade got all rusty from the extremely humid SoCal desert air. Also, the pommel fell off and the grip (which was basically a glorified shoelace) unwrapped itself.

Good thing I didn't pay any money for it. It was given to me by my uncle who has like three other swords.

Nerd.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I know a guy who keeps a tent and 12 ways to start a fire in his trunk but not a spare tire. He lives near me. Works 2 miles from his house. He's ready to get lost in the wilderness but the closest thing we have to that is the garden center at Home Depot.

I know a guy who keeps a tent and 12 ways to start a fire in his trunk but not a spare tire. He lives near me. Works 2 miles from his house. He's ready to get lost in the wilderness but the closest thing we have to that is the garden center at Home Depot.
I keep a pump and patch kit, but no spare in my Datsun and Nissan. I have AAA instead, which I guess makes me a worthless, unprepared, state-besotted Librul.

A silcock key and knowing when the buffet closes get you all the food and water you need in a functioning city.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
I have a half length replica samurai sword.
It'll cut the hell out of a watermelon
My grandfather had a Japanese sword (katana?)that he traded for a bottle of Scotch when in Japan as a marine. Once when I was a kid, he threw a big watermelon in the air and sliced it in half with the sword. So frigging awesome

I was prepared for this shit. :)
I agree with Hips - there is no plan to kill the neighbors and not share resources. Community is much simpler and pleasant.
I carry way too many extra things in my vehicle. Knife, rope, contractor bags, toolbox, bungees, blanket/crawl mat. It's Michigan, we get winter.

So what's the plan then?
We're all gonna fight our way to Eddie's place and live out the apocalypse eating roasted woodchuck and mushrooms?

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer