Thanksgiving is almost upon us

zengirl said:
Thanksgiving turkey is the easiest thing in the world to make.

You just need one of these:
http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reynoldskitchens/kitchenconnection/products/oven_bags/faq.asp

and two disposable aluminum turkey roasting pans.

First you clean the turkey, wash it out really good, then you dry it off with paper towels. I zap some Stove Top stuffing in the nukerwave and stuff the turkey, and stitch it up. Get some margerine and rub it all over the turkey skin (it's gross and slippery but VERY important) put it on very liberally. Then I sprinkle the skin with garlic, salt, pepper, some thyme and whatever other herbs you like.

Then you follow the directions on the turkey bag, (toss some flour in the bag, and shake it up to coat the bag, then you put the bag in the roasting pan, put some celery, onion and carrot in the bottom and then put the turkey in the bag). Then you stick it in the oven and forget about it completely until it's done (as per directions on the bag)

You get a perfect turkey every time.... and its fall off the bone tender. The margerine makes the skin very very brown...it's soooo good.

Nothings easier.
That's ok too, but don't stuff the turkey. It makes cooking take longer and can harbour bacteria.

theacoustician said:
That's ok too, but don't stuff the turkey. It makes cooking take longer and can harbour bacteria.
:lol: WTF?

harbour bacteria? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The stuffing helps infuse the turkey with flavor as well as steam it from the inside, raising the cooking tempertature. I dont' see how it's possible for a thoroughly cooked bird to harbour bacteria, stuffed or not.

:fly:

You're so funny

Bubbles said:
WWW.foodnetwork here I come!

Hope the thermometer isn't too expensive.

edit: funny fact - I don't have a microwave
Even the most expensive electronic thermometer isn't more than $20. Find a Bed Bath and Beyond 20% coupon (they send them out once a week to us) and it'll be even cheaper.

zengirl said:
:lol: WTF?

harbour bacteria? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The stuffing helps infuse the turkey with flavor as well as steam it from the inside, raising the cooking tempertature. I dont' see how it's possible for a thoroughly cooked bird to harbour bacteria, stuffed or not.

:fly:

You're so funny
It makes the bird more dense, hence making it take longer to heat all the way through. Since you have to raise the internal temp of the stuffing to something like 160 to kill off any bacteria that might be on the turkey, you're overcooking the meat. If you want to add aromatics to your turkey, that's great, just make sure its a loose fit.

theacoustician said:
It makes the bird more dense, hence making it take longer to heat all the way through. Since you have to raise the internal temp of the stuffing to something like 160 to kill off any bacteria that might be on the turkey, you're overcooking the meat. If you want to add aromatics to your turkey, that's great, just make sure its a loose fit.
Which is why the turkey bag is so great. Not only are you getting heat from the oven, but the bag holds in the juices, creating a steam action. The bird cooks faster as it will reach the proper internal temperature faster because of the steam. So long as you use a meat thermometer to measure the temp before serving, you're good to go and safe. :fly:

I've been doing thanksgiving turkeys for my family for 6 years now. I've never had a dry, overcooked, or undercooked bird ever. :lol: Your bacteria post just cracked me up. :fly:

*Fuxx Burger* said:
Anyone got a good stuffing receipe? We need to bring a few things and no one's volunteered to make it yet. However Josh nor myself know how to make it :p
I've made stuffing from scratch a few times, but I still find that the Stove Top chicken stuffing is better than anything I can make.

zengirl said:
Which is why the turkey bag is so great. Not only are you getting heat from the oven, but the bag holds in the juices, creating a steam action. The bird cooks faster as it will reach the proper internal temperature faster because of the steam. So long as you use a meat thermometer to measure the temp before serving, you're good to go and safe. :fly:

I've been doing thanksgiving turkeys for my family for 6 years now. I've never had a dry, overcooked, or undercooked bird ever. :lol: Your bacteria post just cracked me up. :fly:
Whatever. Both myself and the USDA are retarded then.

*Fuxx Burger* said:
I've never had stove top b efore. Mom always made it from scratch, and IN the bird :lol:
One thanksgiving I made this super fancy cranberry walnut stuffing. It was a huge pain in the butt, and it still didn't taste very good.

I tried a couple of times after that, I prefer a sage stuffing, and there just doesn't seem to be anything that's easier and tastier than Stove Top. I've got a lot of things going on Turkey Day so easy is better.

theacoustician said:
Whatever. Both myself and the USDA are retarded then.
Calm down old man, I didn't say you were retarded, I just said it was funny. :fly:

It's possible for a pig to fly out of my butt at any given moment, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, so in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy my stuffed turkey ;)

My dad makes the stuffing everyyear....nothing on earth like dad's stuffing. All I know is you sautee onions and celery in butter with salt and pepper. Then he rips up a loaf of slightly stale white bread and a few pieces of stale wheat. I don't know where he goes from there, cause he says its a secret, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make your own twist with that basic recipie.

edit: I think he adds an egg or two and a bit of water to hold the bread together as well.

Bubbles said:
My dad makes the stuffing everyyear....nothing on earth like dad's stuffing. All I know is you sautee onions and celery in butter with salt and pepper. Then he rips up a loaf of slightly stale white bread and a few pieces of stale wheat. I don't know where he goes from there, cause he says its a secret, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make your own twist with that basic recipie.

edit: I think he adds an egg or two and a bit of water to hold the bread together as well.
probably a little chicken broth, some sage, thyme etc. Perhaps some walnuts and/or apples. You can pretty much do anything from there.